True/False?: Washing Hands Doesn't Help Get Rid of Germs

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
In summary, the computer engineer says that washing hands doesn't really get rid of germs and that there are other ways to get rid of them. He also says that if you know yourself well and you know that you clean yourself very well at home, then you don't need to wash your hands in a public restroom.
kyphysics
A good friend of mine (a computer engineer to be exact!) said this over a beer:

Washing hands doesn't really get rid of germs. There are lots of reasons why:

i.) If your hands are dirty and have germs on them to begin with, you have to touch the faucet lever (assuming not automatic) to turn on the water. That transfers those germs to the lever. When you're done washing, you're simply touching the same lever where there are germs and retrieving those same germs.

ii.) Germs are everywhere. You can't hide from them. They live on your skin and on surfaces all over the place. If you've handled money ever in your life - which is everyone - then you've likely touched some really nasty germs. Think of where those dollars and hands touching them have been. So, would you wash your hands every single time you've paid using cash? Of course, not, he says.

iii.) This reason pertains specifically to using the restroom. If you know yourself well and know that you clean yourself very well at home, then washing your hands in a public bathroom is unnecessary. See i.) for the reason why. Just use it and go. If you're already keeping yourself clean, then you're probably touching worse stuff by trying to wash. So, it's better to not wash after using the restroom.

At first, I was like nawww, that's some nasty stuff there. But, then, I started thinking about it and had a hard time refuting him.

Is there any validity to his argument?

Biology news on Phys.org
I would think twice about accepting his dinner invitation.

You can never really get rid of all bugs but sometimes it's the quantity you are exposed to that matters.

Likes russ_watters, berkeman, kyphysics and 1 other person
Likes rbelli1, Fervent Freyja and CWatters

1. Is it true that washing hands doesn't help get rid of germs?

No, it is not true. Washing hands with soap and water is one of the most effective ways to remove and kill germs from our hands. It helps to prevent the spread of germs and reduces the risk of getting sick.

2. Are there any benefits to washing hands with soap?

Yes, there are many benefits to washing hands with soap. Soap helps to break down the outer coating of the germs, making it easier to wash them away. It also helps to remove oils, dirt, and other substances that may harbor germs on our hands.

3. How long should I wash my hands for it to be effective?

The recommended time for washing hands is at least 20 seconds. This is the amount of time it takes to thoroughly clean all areas of our hands and remove the majority of germs. Singing the "Happy Birthday" song twice is a good way to time 20 seconds.

4. Is hand sanitizer as effective as washing hands with soap and water?

Hand sanitizer is not as effective as washing hands with soap and water. While hand sanitizer can kill some germs, it is not as effective at removing dirt and other substances that may harbor germs. Additionally, hand sanitizer may not be effective against certain types of germs, such as norovirus.

5. How often should I wash my hands to prevent the spread of germs?

It is recommended to wash your hands frequently throughout the day, especially before and after certain activities such as using the bathroom, preparing food, and caring for someone who is sick. It is also important to wash hands after coming into contact with surfaces that may be contaminated with germs, such as doorknobs or handles.