Truncated URLs get broken when quoted

• Bug
  • Thread starter Ygggdrasil
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a minor bug that occurs when a long URL is truncated in a forum post. The bug causes the link to not work when the post is quoted, but it can be easily fixed by using the "Reply" feature. The conversation also mentions that the bug may have been caused by someone copying the broken link manually.
Ygggdrasil
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Here's an example of a minor bug I noticed recently (from this post here: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/number-of-genes-and-their-repressors.998516/post-6457155)
1613671567226.png

In my original post #7, I provide a long URL, which gets truncated by the forum automatically. The link still works fine. However, when my post gets quoted in post #8, the link in the quoted text does not work (because part of the URL has been replaced by an ellipses).

This is probably not a very high priority bug to fix as it is just a minor annoyance that's fairly easy to get around.

Physics news on Phys.org
* Quote the whole post (with the "Reply") feature.
* Mark the text, then click "Reply" directly next to the text

In both cases it works correctly. It even works if you only mark parts of the URL. The quote below was made that way:
Ygggdrasil said:
ple: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/progress-for-gene-therapy-and-https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/dont-fear-crispr-new-gene-editing-technologies-wont-lead-designer-babies/-against-blood-diseases.997005/
The displayed link is truncated as usual but the link goes to the original target.

Likes jim mcnamara and Ygggdrasil
mfb said:
* Quote the whole post (with the "Reply") feature.
* Mark the text, then click "Reply" directly next to the text

In both cases it works correctly. It even works if you only mark parts of the URL. The quote below was made that way:The displayed link is truncated as usual but the link goes to the original target.

Thanks for testing. I wonder what went wrong with post#8 in the thread I referenced to break the link.

Ygggdrasil said:
Thanks for testing. I wonder what went wrong with post#8 in the thread I referenced to break the link.
The only thing I can think of was maybe someone copied that broken link manually by mistake?

1. Why do truncated URLs get broken when quoted?

Truncated URLs can get broken when quoted because the quotation marks can interfere with the URL's structure, causing it to be read as a broken link.

2. How can I prevent truncated URLs from breaking when quoted?

To prevent truncated URLs from breaking when quoted, you can use a URL shortener or manually remove any quotation marks before sharing the URL.

3. Is there a specific type of quotation mark that causes truncated URLs to break?

No, any type of quotation mark, whether it be single or double, can potentially cause a truncated URL to break when quoted.

4. Can truncated URLs still be functional even if they are broken when quoted?

Yes, truncated URLs can still be functional even if they are broken when quoted. However, it may require the recipient to manually fix the URL before being able to access it.

5. Are there any other instances where truncated URLs can break?

Yes, in addition to being broken when quoted, truncated URLs can also break if they are pasted into a document or platform that does not recognize them as links, or if they are shortened using a service that adds additional characters to the URL.