Truss Analysis: Find Reaction Forces with Explanation

In summary, the conversation revolves around a user struggling with truss analysis and asking for help in finding reaction forces. The expert advises using linear components of force and moments to solve the problem. The user presents their calculations for the reaction forces and the expert corrects a mistake and advises using trigonometry. The user continues to seek clarification and the expert suggests proving assumptions and solving for Ray=25.
Paladashe
Hi, I'm new on this website and it seems great :p So, I'm struggling with something really simple... trusses analysis. I'm struggling with moments etc , I've just drawn an example linked in this post , could you try to find the reaction forces (roller pin etc) with some explanation ? Thanks

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    6.2 KB · Views: 379
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Paladashe! Welcome to PF! :wink:

(please use the homework forum in future)

If I'm understanding the question correctly, no truss analysis is involved …

you have a rigid body with one applied force (plus its own weight), and you have to find the two reaction forces, so just use linear components of force, and moments …

show us what you get. :smile:

Thanks Tiny-tim for your response. In fact, I now for vertical external forces and horizontal ones so I divided the 100N vector in two vectors (one with a value of 50N orientated downwards and one with a value of 50•(square root of 3). I found that each pin has a vertical vector orientated upwards with a value of 25 N and for the fixed one, also an horizontal vector with a value of 50•(square roots of 3 orientated to the left). Am I right? I'm sure that I've made some mistake...what value did you find?

Hi Paladashe! :smile:
Paladashe said:
Thanks Tiny-tim for your response. In fact, I now for vertical external forces and horizontal ones so I divided the 100N vector in two vectors (one with a value of 50N orientated downwards and one with a value of 50•(square root of 3).

Correct. :smile:
I found that each pin has a vertical vector orientated upwards with a value of 25 N…

Nooo …

you can't assume they're equal, can you?

all you know is that they add to 50N, so you need one more equation, which is … ? :wink:

The moment equation, right?
... EMa=-50•3•12,1244 + 50(square root of 3)•7 + 4•12,1244•Rb ?

Where a is the pin fixed and b the roller pin

Paladashe said:
The moment equation, right?

Yes. :smile:

(either about A or about B)
... EMa=-50•3•12,1244 + 50(square root of 3)•7 + 4•12,1244•Rb ?

(where 12.1244 = 14*√3/2)

Yes …

or you could avoid splitting the 100 N by doing 100 times the lever arm (the perpendicular distance from the line of the 100 N to the point A). :wink:

Yes but don't know how to do this because its not perpendicular to the line of action:)

Yes, but by doing my equation , I found that Rb=50N so R(vertical) is equal to 0??

use trig :wink:

yes but it's not working for me :p could you please try to explain why my equation is wrong ? Please ! I'm getting a headache by trying and trying :p

Paladashe said:
Yes, but by doing my equation , I found that Rb=50N …

I don't get 50 :confused:

-50?

i mean, using your equation (which is a little confusing :redface:) i don't get 50

Can you give me your result ? Is it 37,5?

from your equation (am i misreading it?) i got 25 :confused:

No as you said before, we can't assume that both pin have the same vertical forces (25-25). Or, if Rby is equal to 25 and that EFy=0 <=> -50+25+Ray=0 :) so Ray is equal to 0 which is impossible

(just got up :zzz:)
Paladashe said:
No as you said before, we can't assume that both pin have the same vertical forces (25-25).

yes, we can't assume it …

but that doesn't mean that we can't prove it (if it's true) :wink:
Or, if Rby is equal to 25 and that EFy=0 <=> -50+25+Ray=0 :) so Ray is equal to 0 which is impossible
not following you …

doesn't -50+25+Ray=0 mean Ray = 25 ? :confused:

1. What is truss analysis?

Truss analysis is a method used in structural engineering to determine the internal forces and reactions within a truss structure. It involves applying the principles of equilibrium and the method of joints or method of sections to solve for unknown forces.

2. How do you find reaction forces in a truss?

To find reaction forces in a truss, you must first draw a free body diagram of the entire truss structure. Then, apply the equations of equilibrium (sum of forces and moments equal to zero) at each joint to solve for the unknown reaction forces.

3. What is the method of joints for truss analysis?

The method of joints is a technique used to solve for unknown forces in a truss structure. It involves analyzing the equilibrium of forces at each joint, assuming that the members of the truss are connected by pins or hinges. This method is most useful for trusses with relatively few joints.

4. What is the method of sections for truss analysis?

The method of sections is another technique used to solve for unknown forces in a truss structure. It involves cutting the truss into sections, and then analyzing the equilibrium of forces and moments on each section. This method is more useful for trusses with a larger number of joints.

5. Can computer software be used for truss analysis?

Yes, there are several computer programs available that can perform truss analysis. These programs use the same principles of equilibrium and the method of joints or method of sections, but they automate the calculations and provide more detailed results. However, it is still important for engineers to understand the underlying principles of truss analysis in order to verify the accuracy of the software's results.