Trying to Build a Spark Getter

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of building a spark getter using a high voltage capacitor with titanium plates and a power supply. The previous model used DC and a parallel capacitor to create stronger bursts of sparks. When trying to replicate this with a neon sign transformer powered spark getter, connecting a capacitor in parallel to the titanium plates kills the sparks. It is suggested that this is due to the time constant of the RC combination being greater than the periodic time of the supply voltage. The conversation also mentions the difficulty of finding capacitors that can withstand high voltages.
HeisenbergW
Hello,

Recently I have been trying to build a spark getter. The idea is that a high voltage is applied to a capacitor consisting two titanium plates, once the breakdown voltage is reached, a spark is caused, and small particles of titanium (our getter) come off the anode and the cathode. I currently have a neon sign transformer as my power supply, which outputs 6.5 kV and 30 mA at 38 kHz (AC). If i simply attach both ends of the transformer to the two plates of titanium, it creates a seemingly continuous arc, which unfortunately does not remove much material.

In a previous model of this spark getter (this time using DC, at 5 kV) I placed another capacitor (built out of aluminum foil with a sheet of glass as the dialectic) with a capacitance of 2.5 nF in parallel to the titanium plate spark gap. After it was attached, the ark was no longer continuous, and instead consisted of stronger burst sparks. This is because the capacitor in parallel to the titanium plates would build up charge, then as the titanium plates sparked, the charge would flow through the gap in the titanium plates.

The idea was to do the same to my new, neon sign transformer powered spark getter. The problem is that even though the titanium plates create an arc when they are connected to the transformer, one the capacitor is connected, there is no longer an arc or any sparks. It seems that if a capacitor with a smaller capacitance is used (around 74 pF) small sparks rapidly appear if the gap between the titanium plates is shortened (though they are much too weak). Though capacitors with larger capacitance do nothing.

Any ideas as to why attaching a capacitor in parallel to my titanium plates kills my sparks?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the neon sign transformer is AC, although it is adding charge to the capacitor during a quarter-cycle, it then removes it as the AC changes polarity and adds charge of opposite polarity, then removes it ...

Charge never gets a chance to build up.

Following on from nascent oxygen's post, I'd guess that the time constant (RC) of the RC combination of capacitor and internal resistance of supply is considerably greater than [itex]\frac{1}{38000}[/itex]s, the periodic time of the supply voltage.

Incidentally, where do you get capacitors that can stand such a high voltage?

Hello,

It sounds like you are on the right track with your spark getter design. Based on your description, it seems that the capacitor is acting as a shunt to the spark, preventing it from forming. This could be due to the charge build-up in the capacitor, as you mentioned, or it could also be due to the capacitance being too high and preventing the spark from forming.

I would recommend experimenting with different capacitance values to find the optimal one for your setup. You may also want to consider using a different type of capacitor, such as a ceramic capacitor, which may have a lower capacitance and allow for the spark to form more easily.

Additionally, make sure that all connections and components in your circuit are secure and properly insulated to prevent any unintended shunting of the spark.

I hope this helps, and good luck with your spark getter project!

1. How does a spark getter work?

A spark getter is a device that is used to remove residual gases and impurities from a vacuum tube or other enclosed space. It works by using a reactive material, typically a metal alloy, that chemically reacts with the gases to form a stable compound, thus removing them from the environment.

2. What materials are commonly used in spark getters?

The most common materials used in spark getters are zirconium, titanium, and barium. These metals have a high affinity for oxygen and other gases, and can form stable compounds that effectively remove them from the environment.

3. How is a spark getter typically constructed?

A spark getter is typically constructed as a thin wire or foil made of the reactive material, which is then placed inside the vacuum tube or enclosed space. The wire is usually heated to a high temperature, which activates the chemical reaction and allows the getter to remove the gases.

4. How effective are spark getters in removing impurities?

Spark getters are highly effective in removing impurities from enclosed spaces. They can remove up to 99.9% of the residual gases, making them an essential component in many vacuum systems and electronic devices.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using spark getters?

There are some safety concerns when using spark getters, as they can release small amounts of hydrogen gas during the chemical reaction. However, this can be managed by proper ventilation and monitoring of the environment. It is also important to handle the reactive materials with caution, as they can be hazardous if mishandled.