Trying to decide between Electrical and Mechanical....

In summary, the person is a 2nd year engineering student who is currently undecided between choosing mechanical or electrical engineering for next semester. They are more knowledgeable about mechanical engineering but find the potential projects in electrical engineering to be more appealing. They are open to either option but are unsure which one to choose. They are considering discussing with an adviser about a possible mechatronics program that combines both disciplines.
zachdr1
I am 2nd year engineering student. I haven't had to take any classes that were specific to a certain type of engineering but next semester I will and now I'm stressing which one I should choose. I know a lot more about mechanical engineering than I do electrical, but I think electrical would definitely be cool too. I think I could do either tbh and whichever one I do I will be happy with it just sucks that I'm so in the middle of the two of them.

I'm considering mechanical because when I look at statics and dynamics problems they look really interesting, partially because I know a lot about what they're talking about, where I have no idea what a basic circuits problem is telling me. I'm considering electrical engineering because I think the type of stuff you can make is awesome. I can see myself engineering things in my free time if I go for electrical engineering, whereas with mechanical, I'm not really sure.

So basically I think the classes I would take in mechanical engineering would be more interesting but the stuff you can do with an electrical engineering degree would be cooler.

Idk if anyone will be able to just tell me which one it sounds like I'm leaning towards but I think knowing more about electrical engineering will definitely help me make my decision.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you discuss with a local adviser about mechatronics? You may be able to accommodate for a multi-disciplinary approach in your program.

1. What is the main difference between electrical and mechanical engineering?

The main difference between electrical and mechanical engineering is that electrical engineering deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism, while mechanical engineering focuses on the design, development, and production of mechanical systems and devices.

2. What kind of education and skills are required for each field?

Both electrical and mechanical engineering require a strong background in mathematics and physics. For electrical engineering, knowledge of circuit analysis, electronics, and programming is essential. Mechanical engineering requires skills in mechanics, thermodynamics, and materials science. Both fields also require problem-solving and critical thinking abilities.

3. Which field has better job prospects and earning potential?

Both electrical and mechanical engineering have promising job prospects and earning potential. However, the demand for electrical engineers is expected to grow faster due to advancements in technology and the increasing need for renewable energy sources. On the other hand, mechanical engineers continue to be in demand in industries such as manufacturing, automotive, and aerospace.

4. Can I specialize in both electrical and mechanical engineering?

Yes, it is possible to specialize in both electrical and mechanical engineering. Many universities offer joint degree programs that allow students to gain expertise in both fields. Additionally, there are also opportunities to work on interdisciplinary projects that require knowledge from both areas.

5. Which field offers more diverse career options?

Both electrical and mechanical engineering offer a wide range of career options. However, electrical engineering has a broader scope, with opportunities in areas such as power systems, telecommunications, computer engineering, and robotics. Mechanical engineering also offers diverse career paths, including product design, HVAC systems, and biomedical engineering.