Trying to investigate and find the sensitivity of function

In summary, we discussed the function F(x) = sqrt(x) and the sensitivity of this function to errors in x. We found that the condition number, or kappa value, of this function is equal to 1/2. However, at x = 0, this value is not defined and the relative error is infinite. We also explored how to calculate the sensitivity of F(x) and found that it is directly related to the first order Taylor approximation. When considering the limit x→0, the value of √x is simply 0. We also addressed a question about the number of digits that can be computed when x is known to an error of 10^-16 and found that the relative error is 0.5*
akerman
I have a question about function F(x) = sqrt(x)

I found that it has Kappa value equal to 1/2

I am not too sure what happens if when x = 0 is it just a minimum?

But now I am trying to investigate and find the sensitivity of F(x) to errors in x when we use x+ϵ, where ϵ is small.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: trying to investigate and find the sensitivity of function

akerman said:
I have a question about function F(x) = sqrt(x)

I found that it has Kappa value equal to 1/2

I am not too sure what happens if when x = 0 is it just a minimum?

But now I am trying to investigate and find the sensitivity of F(x) to errors in x when we use x+ϵ, where ϵ is small.

Welcome to MHB, akerman! :)

I am assuming that with a Kappa value you mean the condition number.
If so then we have:
$$\frac{|\Delta y|}{|y|} = \kappa \frac{|\Delta x|}{|x|}$$
where $y=F(x)$, where $\Delta x$ is the error in $x$, and $\Delta y$ is the error in $y$.
In other words: $\kappa$ gives the amplification of the relative error.

At $x=0$, $x$ has an infinite relative error (we're dividing by zero), so $\kappa$ is not defined there.
Since $F(0)=0$, the relative error of $y$ is also infinite.

We can calculate $\kappa$ with:
$$\kappa = \left| \frac{x \cdot F'(x)}{F(x)} \right|$$
This stems from the first order Taylor approximation:
$$F(x + \Delta x) \approx F(x) + \Delta x \cdot F'(x)$$

Since we are using an approximation, the end result is also an approximation.
In particular for points where $F'(x)$ or $F''(x)$ are not defined, the relationship will break down.
This is in particular the case for your function at $x=0$.

I like Serena said:
Welcome to MHB, akerman! :)

I am assuming that with a Kappa value you mean the condition number.
If so then we have:
$$\frac{|\Delta y|}{|y|} = \kappa \frac{|\Delta x|}{|x|}$$
where $y=F(x)$, where $\Delta x$ is the error in $x$, and $\Delta y$ is the error in $y$.
In other words: $\kappa$ gives the amplification of the relative error.

At $x=0$, $x$ has an infinite relative error (we're dividing by zero), so $\kappa$ is not defined there.
Since $F(0)=0$, the relative error of $y$ is also infinite.

We can calculate $\kappa$ with:
$$\kappa = \left| \frac{x \cdot F'(x)}{F(x)} \right|$$
This stems from the first order Taylor approximation:
$$F(x + \Delta x) \approx F(x) + \Delta x \cdot F'(x)$$

Since we are using an approximation, the end result is also an approximation.
In particular for points where $F'(x)$ or $F''(x)$ are not defined, the relationship will break down.
This is in particular the case for your function at $x=0$.

I still don't get it...
So what is the sensitivity of f(x) to errors in x?
And if we consider limit x→0, how many digits can one compute x√ when x is known to an error of 10^−16?

Can you give more detailed explanation.
thanks

akerman said:
I still don't get it...
So what is the sensitivity of f(x) to errors in x?

Since the derivative of $\sqrt x$ is $\frac 1 {2\sqrt x}$, Taylor's approximation gives us:
$$\sqrt{x+ε} \approx \sqrt{x} + ε \cdot \frac{1}{2\sqrt x}$$
So if the error in $x$ is $ε$, then the error in $√x$ is approximately $ε \cdot \frac{1}{2\sqrt x}$.

The so called absolute sensitivity to errors in x is $\frac{1}{2\sqrt x}$, since an error gets multiplied by this amount.

The relative sensitivity is $\frac 1 2$, since relative errors get multiplied by this amount.
A relative error is the error relative to the value measured. For $x$ this is $ε / x$.
And if we consider limit x→0, how many digits can one compute x√ when x is known to an error of 10^−16?

I do not understand your question.
In the limit x→0, √x is simply 0.

However, if x is a regular non-zero value known with an error of $10^{−16}$, then the resultant √x will have an absolute error of $10^{−16} \cdot \frac{1}{2\sqrt x}$ and a relative error of $0.5 \cdot 10^{−16}$.

Can you give more detailed explanation.
thanks

Where would you like more details?

The lastest answer is just something I was looking for.
So having a question such as "how many digits can one compute x√ when x is known to an error of 10^−16?" Can I simply say that absolute error of 10−16⋅12x√ and a relative error of 0.5⋅10^−16?
Also if we have x= x+ ε
Can I specify exactly what the ε is for y =x√ ? Or is it just an assumption that is it a small number?

akerman said:
The lastest answer is just something I was looking for.
So having a question such as "how many digits can one compute x√ when x is known to an error of 10^−16?" Can I simply say that absolute error of 10−16⋅12x√ and a relative error of 0.5⋅10^−16?

The term "how many digits" is somewhat confusing.
It can typically mean either how many digits behind the decimal point, or it can mean how many significant digits.
Can you clarify which one is intended?
Similarly, when you say "error" do you mean an absolute error or a relative error?

If you have 16 significant digits, that means that your relative error is $10^{-16}$.
In this case the resultant relative error is $0.5 \cdot 10^{-16}$, meaning you have slightly over 16 significant digits (usually treated as just 16).

What you write about the errors is correct, assuming your initial error is an absolute error.
However, that is apparently not what is being asked, since the question asks "how many digits".
Also if we have x= x+ ε
Can I specify exactly what the ε is for y =x√ ? Or is it just an assumption that is it a small number?

"Exactly" is a strong word.
If you want to have the "exact" error in y, you need to calculate $\sqrt{x+ε}-\sqrt x$.
If you are satisfied with the approximate error, you can use the formulas I gave.

Now I got it. Thanks for help. I believe you the only person in number of forum who could explain and answer it.

1. What is the purpose of investigating and finding the sensitivity of function?

The purpose of investigating and finding the sensitivity of function is to understand how a particular function or process responds to changes in its input parameters. This information can help researchers optimize and improve the performance of the function, as well as identify potential weaknesses or vulnerabilities.

2. How do you determine the sensitivity of a function?

The sensitivity of a function can be determined by analyzing its response to small changes in its input parameters. This can be done through mathematical calculations or by running simulations with varying input values and comparing the results.

3. What factors can affect the sensitivity of a function?

The sensitivity of a function can be affected by a variety of factors, including the complexity of the function, the range of input values, and the precision of the measurements used to determine the function's output.

4. How can the sensitivity of a function be used in practical applications?

The sensitivity of a function can be used in practical applications to improve the performance of systems and processes. For example, understanding the sensitivity of a weather forecasting model can help meteorologists make more accurate predictions by adjusting input variables.

5. What are some limitations of investigating and finding the sensitivity of function?

One limitation of investigating and finding the sensitivity of function is that it may not accurately reflect real-world scenarios. Other external factors, such as environmental conditions or human error, can also impact the function's performance. Additionally, the process of determining sensitivity can be time-consuming and resource-intensive.