Trying to make sense of the double slit "experiment"

In summary: There is no inherent expectation that you accept any of the theories presented. In fact, as a newcomer, you might even find some of them to be wrong. That's part of the fun of learning.In summary,This user found PF by searching for physics forums for a link to this site. They have a background in science (BSC Mathematics), but not specifically in Quantum theory. They believe the best way to progress is to question / challenge commonly accepted ideas and theories. They found PF after reading about double slit experiments on a physics forum. Electrons are not expected to travel in a straight line unless some force is applied to deflect them. The wave character of electrons makes that you can't have an exact
Claude
How did you find PF?: A quick Google search of Physics forum gave me a link to this site.

I have a good background in science (BSC Mathematics), but not specifically in Quantum theory. That happened after I left University.
I have read lots, know a fair bit but wouldn't dare to claim I "understand" too much of it (beyond classical relativity).
I believe the best way to progress (for me) is to question / challenge commonly accepted ideas and theories that one is expected to accept without too much analysis.
Being an outsider and a "newbie", I ask for your understanding and forgiveness in advance. But know that I always appreciate the chance to learn from those who have more knowledge than I. So long as you can justify your position - I don't believe in dogma...
So let's have some fun!

My first question is this:
Shooting electrons through a double slit (refer Dr. Tonomura and Belsazar), electrons are fired individually and detected as individual events on the other side of the slits.
As you know, the electrons appear to land "randomly" until an interference pattern eventually emerges.

My question is this: A particular electron is expected to travel in a straight line unless some force is applied to deflect it.
As is obvious in this particular experiment, electrons ARE deflected. Sometimes quite a lot.
What is the source of the force? Is it accidentally provided by the experiment apparatus?
Doesn't the conservation of energy apply?

Sorry if this is trivial or silly...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Claude said:
My question is this: A particular electron is expected to travel in a straight line unless some force is applied to deflect it.
As is obvious in this particular experiment, electrons ARE deflected. Sometimes quite a lot.
What is the source of the force? Is it accidentally provided by the experiment apparatus?
Doesn't the conservation of energy apply?

In QM, particles do not have a well-defined trajecory. That said, a free electron fired at the slits can be modeled quite well by a classical path. When the electron is confined to two narrow slits, however, its behaviour can no longer be modeled classically. One way to look at the double slit is that the electron, for a short time, is trapped in a double potential well. Then, afterwards, it is free again, but has picked up an uncertain amount of lateral momentum from its time in the potential well.

If you look at it closely, then this lateral momentum must have come from an interaction with the slits. I found this analysis, for example:

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1742-6596/701/1/012007/pdf

Likes BvU
Hello and :welcome:

Claude said:
A particular electron is expected to travel in a straight line
To some considerable extent. However, the wave character of electrons makes that you can't have an exact transversal position and zero uncertainty on the transverse momentum. From there on it's all exactly as in the case with photons:optics.

https://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/III_01.html

Claude said:
that one is expected to accept without too much analysis.
Claude said:
I don't believe in dogma...

You are coming into this with a view of what a physics education is that is a) wrong, and b) insulting to those of us who have gone through it. Are you sure this is the path you want to take?

Claude said:
I believe the best way to progress (for me) is to question / challenge commonly accepted ideas and theories

Usually not. Presenting a parade of incorrect statements hoping to be corrected is slow, inefficient and more likely than not to make everyone cross. A better way is for you to do some reading and say something like"in X they say Y, but I don't understand how they got from A to B." You might take a look at https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/little-excuse-ask-question-cold/

As pointed out, you start to go awry here:

Claude said:
A particular electron is expected to travel in a straight line unless some force is applied to deflect it.

That's true for planets and baseballs, where the wave nature is irrelevant. It is not true for electrons where the wave nature is important. Electrons can diffract and interfere, like waves. And they can be counted like particles.

Last edited:
Likes mattt, weirdoguy and vanhees71
Claude said:
I believe the best way to progress (for me) is to question / challenge commonly accepted ideas and theories...
That approach requires that you first understand the commonly accepted theories. Otherwise you're challenging a straw man, and all you'll ever get from that is a belated awareness that it was unworthy of your time.

So to the extent that you want to properly understand what quantum physics does say, this forum is the right place to ask questions. Uninformed challenges, not so much.

Likes mattt
Claude said:
that one is expected to accept without too much analysis

Expected by whom?

1. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a famous experiment in quantum mechanics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light and matter. It involves shooting particles, such as electrons, through two slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

2. Why is the double slit experiment important?

The double slit experiment is important because it challenges our understanding of the fundamental nature of reality. It shows that particles can behave as both waves and particles, and that the act of observation can affect the outcome of an experiment.

3. How does the double slit experiment relate to quantum mechanics?

The double slit experiment is a cornerstone of quantum mechanics, as it provides evidence for the wave-particle duality of light and matter. It also highlights the role of observation and measurement in quantum systems.

4. What are the implications of the results of the double slit experiment?

The results of the double slit experiment have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the behavior of particles at the quantum level. They suggest that the behavior of particles is inherently probabilistic and that our perception of reality may be limited.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the double slit experiment?

While the double slit experiment is primarily a thought experiment, it has real-world applications in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography. It also has implications for the development of new technologies, such as quantum sensors and quantum communication devices.