Trying to prove trigonometric integrals on a quarter of circle

In summary: It seems like you should be able to use some sort of symmetry argument to change the sine into a cosine in your last integral.Perhaps try something like ##\cos x = \sin(x+\frac{\pi}{2})##.
supermiedos

Homework Statement

I want to prove that:
Ra5QUaH.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the trigonometric identity:
sen2x = senx cosx / 2, so, I got:

1/2m∫(sen2x)mdx, x from 0 to pi/2, but now I don't know how to proceed. Can you help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
supermiedos said:

Homework Statement

I want to prove that:
Ra5QUaH.png

Homework Equations

1/2m∫(sen2x)mdx, x from 0 to pi/2, but now I don't know how to proceed. Can you help me please?
Is m an integer? Is m a positive integer? These should be stated as part of the problem statement. Assuming that m is a nonnegative integer, I think you need to break up the problem into two cases: 1) m is an even integer; 2) m is an odd integer.

For the first case (m is even), convert all of the sine factors on the left side to cosines, using ##sin^2(x) = 1 - cos^2(x)##. At that point you can use your double angle formula.
For the second case (m is odd), convert all but one of the sine factors on the left side to cosines, as above. The left-over sine factor can be used in an ordinary substitution.

Last edited:
Likes supermiedos
Mark44 said:
Is m an integer? Is m a positive integer? These should be stated as part of the problem statement. Assuming that m is a nonnegative integer, I think you need to break up the problem into two cases: 1) m is an even integer; 2) m is an odd integer.

For the first case (m is even), convert all of the sine factors on the left side to cosines, using ##sin^2(x) = 1 - cos^2(x)##. At that point you can use your double angle formula.
For the second case (m is odd), convert all but one of the sine factors on the left side to cosines, as above. The left-over sine factor can be used in an ordinary substitution.

Thank you for your response. As you said, the problem should have stated the "nature" of m. I tried first using your suggestion when m is odd. This is my procedure, but I got stuck:

c8TBdm6.png

But I don't know what to do next.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, the perils of giving advice when you haven't worked the problem...

Your original thought might be the way to go, since ## \cos^m(x) \sin^m(x) dx = (\cos x \cdot \sin x)^m = \frac 1 {2^m} \sin^m(2x)##. Then, if you can show that the integral of this function equals the integral on the right side of what you're trying to prove, then you're done. At the moment, I don't see how to do this, but I'll give it some thought.

Likes supermiedos
Mark44 said:
Ah, the perils of giving advice when you haven't worked the problem...

Your original thought might be the way to go, since ## \cos^m(x) \sin^m(x) dx = (\cos x \cdot \sin x)^m = \frac 1 {2^m} \sin^m(2x)##. Then, if you can show that the integral of this function equals the integral on the right side of what you're trying to prove, then you're done. At the moment, I don't see how to do this, but I'll give it some thought.

Hehe, don't worry. I was trying to use geometric arguments (showing that the area below sin^m(2x) equals the area belos cos^m(x), from 0 to pi/2). I can't see the way, also. Thank you for your help

I think two applications of integration by parts on ##\int \sin^m(2x)dx## might be fruitful. I'm giving this a shot right now

Likes supermiedos
supermiedos said:

Homework Statement

I want to prove that:
Ra5QUaH.png

Homework Equations

It seems like you should be able to use some sort of symmetry argument to change the sine into a cosine in your last integral.

Perhaps try something like ##\cos x = \sin(x+\frac{\pi}{2})##.

Last edited:
Likes supermiedos
@supermiedos: After applying the double angle formula, you are wanting to show$$
\int_0^{\frac {\pi}2}\sin^m(2x)~dx=\int_0^{\frac {\pi}2}\cos^m(x)~dx$$
Let ##u=2x## in the left integral, we get$$
\int_0^{\frac {\pi}2}\sin^m(2x)~dx=\frac 1 2 \int_0^{\pi}\sin^m(u)~du$$Since the sine function is symmetric about ##\frac{\pi} 2## on the interval ##[0,\pi]##, we have$$
\int_0^{\pi}\sin^m(u)~du = 2\int_0^{\frac{\pi} 2}\sin^m(u)~du$$Putting this together gives$$
\int_0^{\frac {\pi}2}\sin^m(2x)~dx=\int_0^{\frac{\pi} 2}\sin^m(u)~du=\int_0^{\frac{\pi} 2}\sin^m(x)~dx$$
And, finally, by symmetry$$
\int_0^{\frac{\pi} 2}\sin^m(x)~dx=\int_0^{\frac {\pi}2}\cos^m(x)~dx$$
That should do it unless I've overlooked something. (I know, I'm taking a chance by assuming this isn't actually a homework problem).

Likes supermiedos and SammyS
Mark44 said:
I think two applications of integration by parts on ##\int \sin^m(2x)dx## might be fruitful. I'm giving this a shot right now
I tried it, but gotten nowhere

vela said:
It seems like you should be able to use some sort of symmetry argument to change the sine into a cosine in your last integral.

Perhaps try something like ##\cos x = \sin(x+\frac{\pi}{2})##.
Thank you, I also tried it, but I got stuck

LCKurtz said:
@supermiedos: After applying the double angle formula, you are wanting to show$$
\int_0^{\frac {\pi}2}\sin^m(2x)~dx=\int_0^{\frac {\pi}2}\cos^m(x)~dx$$
Let ##u=2x## in the left integral, we get$$
\int_0^{\frac {\pi}2}\sin^m(2x)~dx=\frac 1 2 \int_0^{\pi}\sin^m(u)~du$$Since the sine function is symmetric about ##\frac{\pi} 2## on the interval ##[0,\pi]##, we have$$
\int_0^{\pi}\sin^m(u)~du = 2\int_0^{\frac{\pi} 2}\sin^m(u)~du$$Putting this together gives$$
\int_0^{\frac {\pi}2}\sin^m(2x)~dx=\int_0^{\frac{\pi} 2}\sin^m(u)~du=\int_0^{\frac{\pi} 2}\sin^m(x)~dx$$
And, finally, by symmetry$$
\int_0^{\frac{\pi} 2}\sin^m(x)~dx=\int_0^{\frac {\pi}2}\cos^m(x)~dx$$
That should do it unless I've overlooked something. (I know, I'm taking a chance by assuming this isn't actually a homework problem).

Amazing! Thank you! I understood all steps, except one. How can I prove your last statement? Using symetry?

And don't worry, it's not homework. I'm self studying mathematics :)

supermiedos said:
Thank you, I also tried it, but I got stuck
You can use the identity to show that
$$\int_0^\pi \sin^m u\,du = \int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} \cos^m u\,du$$ and then use the symmetry of cosine to get the integral you want.

Likes supermiedos
supermiedos said:
Amazing! Thank you! I understood all steps, except one. How can I prove your last statement? Using symetry?

And don't worry, it's not homework. I'm self studying mathematics :)
Use ##\sin x = \cos(\frac {\pi} 2 - x)## and do the obvious ##u## substitution.

Likes supermiedos
Thank you, both of you. I got it :)

What are trigonometric integrals?

Trigonometric integrals are mathematical expressions that involve trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, and their corresponding inverse functions. They can be used to evaluate areas, volumes, and other quantities in various mathematical and scientific contexts.

Why is proving trigonometric integrals on a quarter of a circle important?

Proving trigonometric integrals on a quarter of a circle is important because it allows us to solve problems involving circular motion, such as calculating the work done by a force acting on an object moving in a circular path.

What is the process for proving trigonometric integrals on a quarter of a circle?

The process for proving trigonometric integrals on a quarter of a circle involves using trigonometric identities and substitution to manipulate the integral into a form that can be easily solved. This typically involves using the Pythagorean identity, double angle identities, and other trigonometric formulas.

What are some common challenges when trying to prove trigonometric integrals on a quarter of a circle?

One common challenge when trying to prove trigonometric integrals on a quarter of a circle is determining the appropriate substitution to use. This can be tricky, as it often requires recognizing patterns and using trial and error. Another challenge is knowing which trigonometric identities to apply and in what order.

Are there any tips or tricks for proving trigonometric integrals on a quarter of a circle?

One helpful tip for proving trigonometric integrals on a quarter of a circle is to always look for ways to simplify the integral using trigonometric identities before attempting to solve it. It can also be useful to practice with a variety of examples and to familiarize oneself with common trigonometric identities and their applications.