Trying to reconcile function composition problems with sets & formulas

In summary: The inverse of a is just the set of all elements that are not in a. So (a,b) in the above example would be (x, not-a), (y, not-b), and so on. In summary, the two approaches seem to be doing the same thing, but reconciling their differences is causing confusion for the author.
s3a
Homework Statement
**Problem involving function composition with sets:**
Consider the set A = {w , x , y, z }, and the relations

S = {(w , x ), (w , y), (x , w ), (x , x ), (z , x )}

T = {(w , w ), (w , y), (x , w ), (x , x ), (x , z ), (y, w ), (y, y), (y, z )}

Find S ◦ T.

**Problem involving function composition with formulas:**
Let f(x) = x + 1 and g(x) = x^2.

Find f ◦ g.
Relevant Equations
The answer for the set one is.:
S ◦T = {(w , w ), (w , x ), (w , z ), (w , y), (x , w ), (x , y), (x , x ), (x , z ), (z , w ), (z , x ), (z , z )}

The answer for the formula one is.:
f( g(x) ) = ( x^2 ) + 1

f( g(x) ) = x^2 + 1
I know how to solve each of those problems. For the set one, I look at the output of the S and try to match it with the input of T and then take the pair (input_of_S, output_of_T), and I do that for each pair.

As for the formula one, I just plug in x = g(y).

My confusion lies in trying to reconcile the two methods as different algorithms that are doing the same thing.

What bothers me is that for the formulaic one x_f = g(x_g), but for the set one, it seems to be to be output_of_S = input_of_T, which to translate that to the formulaic way, would be like saying f(x_f) = x_g instead.

Given that I get similar results, I'm assuming that I'm making a small mistake somewhere, but I'm not sure what it is.

Could someone please help me reconcile the two approaches (to similar problems)?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

P.S.
Sorry for the weird question. :P

Physics news on Phys.org
s3a said:
Homework Statement:: **Problem involving function composition with sets:**
Consider the set A = {w , x , y, z }, and the relations

S = {(w , x ), (w , y), (x , w ), (x , x ), (z , x )}

T = {(w , w ), (w , y), (x , w ), (x , x ), (x , z ), (y, w ), (y, y), (y, z )}

Find S ◦ T.

**Problem involving function composition with formulas:**
Let f(x) = x + 1 and g(x) = x^2.

Find f ◦ g.
Relevant Equations:: The answer for the set one is.:
S ◦T = {(w , w ), (w , x ), (w , z ), (w , y), (x , w ), (x , y), (x , x ), (x , z ), (z , w ), (z , x ), (z , z )}
That looks like ##T \circ S## to me.

Likes SammyS
s3a said:
I know how to solve each of those problems. For the set one, I look at the output of the S and try to match it with the input of T and then take the pair (input_of_S, output_of_T), and I do that for each pair.

As for the formula one, I just plug in x = g(y).

My confusion lies in trying to reconcile the two methods as different algorithms that are doing the same thing.

[itex]f \circ g[/itex] means "do [itex]g[/itex], then do [itex]f[/itex] to the result". So in set notation with [itex]g: X \to Y[/itex] and [itex]f: Y \to Z[/itex] it would be [tex]
\begin{split}
f &= \{ (x, f(x)) : x \in Y \} \subset Y \times Z \\
g &= \{ (x, g(x)) : x \in X \} \subset X \times Y \\
f \circ g &= \{ (x, f(g(x))) : x \in X \} \subset X \times Z \end{split}[/tex]

Likes SammyS
Consider that , for one , , while every function is a relation, the converse doesn't hold.
You can consider a set R in your case as a relation r, where (a,b) stands for (a,r(a)), i.e., b:=r(a).

1. What is function composition?

Function composition is a mathematical operation where the output of one function is used as the input for another function. It is denoted by the symbol "∘" and is read as "composed with" or "after".

2. How do you reconcile function composition problems with sets?

To reconcile function composition problems with sets, you need to ensure that the output of one function is a valid input for the next function. This means that the range of the first function must be a subset of the domain of the second function.

3. Can function composition be applied to any type of function?

Yes, function composition can be applied to any type of function, as long as the output of one function is a valid input for the next function. This includes linear, quadratic, exponential, and trigonometric functions.

4. How can you represent function composition using formulas?

Function composition can be represented using the formula (f ∘ g)(x) = f(g(x)), where f and g are functions and x is the input value. This formula shows that the output of g is used as the input for f.

5. What is the difference between function composition and function application?

Function composition is a mathematical operation that combines two functions to create a new function, while function application is simply the process of evaluating a function at a specific input value. In other words, function composition creates a new function, while function application produces a single output value.