Trying to remember an Italian movie

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie
In summary: and that the car scene was shot with several final versions, so the version you saw may not be the same as mine.
Borek
Mentor
So far my google fu failed me.

There was an Italian movie, shot is sixties or seventies, kind of a psychological drama (definitely not an action movie) that ended with a long car crash scene: guy was speeding through the country, at crossroads something went wrong, his car started rolling and made many rolls before stopping, then there was a voice heard, monologue of the driver, saying something like "I will get up in a moment, but I have to rest a bit". I believe the crash scene was shown twice, first in a slowmo, then at normal speed. I think I have read somewhere that shotting the scene took several weeks.

Anyone remembers the movie?

Sadly, web is full of action movies, car chases, and they are very difficult to filter out from the search results. Fact that the movie is old doesn't help either :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any further tips? Mastroiani, Pasolini, Fellini, was the crash the last scene?

Sadly - no names that I could list. Yes, I believe the crash was the last scene.

There was an international movie staring George C. Scott of "Patton" fame that I saw while working in Asia. The movie marquee called the movie "The Driver" but this google hit calls it "The Last Run". The plot was a Jim Thompson "Getaway" rehash but the chase scenes in Portugal were visually exciting. Growly old Scott was good, as usual, as the aging expert with a few last tricks.

https://wolfmanscultfilmclub.wordpr...my-grandad-george-c-scott-the-getaway-driver/

Cannot remember the final scenes but understand the movie was shot with several finals, so the version I saw may not be the same as yours. Hope this helps (Portugal not Italy) but at least removes a negative hit from your searches.

Forgot to mention: turned out it was most likely a French movie, Les choses de la vie.

Borek said:
Forgot to mention: turned out it was most likely a French movie, Les choses de la vie.
At least fits to
The extensive car accident sequence took 10 days to film.
In the car crash scene, the stunt double for Michel Piccoli is seen wearing brown gloves in close-ups. However Piccoli is bare-handed while driving.
https://www.imdb.com/
and these are practically the only things contributed there, so the car scene seems to be what everybody remembers.

The crash scene is on youtube if anyone is interested:

I hope they paid the stuntman per time and not per stunt.

Likes Klystron
Oh, French flick. I saw that movie. Good actor. The tire rolling alone from the crash represent futility of struggle or maybe a struggle with futility. :cool:
Didn't "2-lane Blacktop" have a similar ending?

Borek said:
The crash scene is on youtube if anyone is interested:

I wonder that movie had an influence on a more modern movie, Intersection (1994), with Richard Gere.

Likes Borek and Klystron
Astronuc said:
I wonder that movie had an influence on a more modern movie, Intersection (1994), with Richard Gere.

Wikipedia says it is just a remake (so yes, definitely there was an influence :wink: )

1. What is the title of the Italian movie I am trying to remember?

The title of the Italian movie you are trying to remember is "La vita è bella" (Life is Beautiful).

2. Who are the main actors in the Italian movie I am trying to remember?

The main actors in the Italian movie you are trying to remember are Roberto Benigni, Nicoletta Braschi, and Giorgio Cantarini.

3. When was the Italian movie I am trying to remember released?

The Italian movie you are trying to remember, "La vita è bella," was released in 1997.

4. Who directed the Italian movie I am trying to remember?

The Italian movie you are trying to remember, "La vita è bella," was directed by Roberto Benigni.

5. What is the plot of the Italian movie I am trying to remember?

The Italian movie you are trying to remember, "La vita è bella," tells the story of a Jewish Italian man, Guido, who uses his imagination and humor to protect his son from the horrors of a concentration camp during World War II.