What are some movies with bad physics that I can analyze for my assignment?

In summary, the speaker has an assignment to analyze the physics in a movie scene, but has not yet chosen a movie. They are considering an action movie and a sci-fi movie, but are having trouble finding scenes with the desired features. They ask for recommendations and mention the final scene in 'Reservoir Dogs' as a potential topic due to its interesting use of quantum mechanics.
GKRKarateKid
I have an assignment on movie magic in which I have to pick a scene from a movie and analyse the physics (including calculations of physics in movie, description and calculations of correct physics etc.) Problem is, I haven't picked a movie yet :frown:

I was going to pick 2 different scenes from two movies. A scene from an action movie (scene with shooting and car chases) and also a sci-fi movie (with explosions in space, sound in space etc.)

I was going to pick one of the 'fast and furious' movies, but the first FAF and FAF Tokyo drift haven't got any cars jumping off unfinished bridges, or shootings where only the person being shot is shot back.

So I was just curious as to if any of you know any good bad physics movies for both of my categories, or maybe even one movie that has a scene with all of those features that I'm looking for.

Thanks, I appreciate your help :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What exactly are special effects in movies?

Special effects in movies refer to the use of various techniques and technologies to create visual or audio illusions that enhance the storytelling and create a sense of realism in the film. These effects can range from simple practical effects, such as using makeup and props, to more advanced computer-generated imagery (CGI) and post-production editing.

2. How do filmmakers decide which special effects to use in a movie?

Filmmakers typically decide on the special effects to use based on the story and the desired impact on the audience. They consider the budget, time constraints, and the availability of resources and technology. They also work closely with visual effects artists and technicians to determine the most effective and efficient ways to achieve the desired effects.

3. What are some common techniques used in special effects?

Some common techniques used in special effects include practical effects, such as using makeup, prosthetics, and animatronics, to create physical transformations or illusions. Another technique is the use of miniatures and models to create realistic settings or scale models of objects. More advanced techniques include CGI, motion capture, and green screen technology.

4. How have special effects evolved over the years?

Special effects have come a long way since the early days of cinema. With advancements in technology, filmmakers now have access to more sophisticated tools and techniques to create realistic and visually stunning effects. CGI has become a staple in modern films, allowing for the creation of fantastical creatures and environments that would have been impossible to achieve in the past.

5. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding the use of special effects in movies?

While special effects can enhance the overall viewing experience, there are some ethical concerns that arise when it comes to their use. Some argue that excessive use of special effects can take away from the authenticity and emotional impact of a film. There are also concerns about the representation of certain groups or individuals, as special effects can be used to alter appearances and perpetuate harmful stereotypes.