Tubular permanent magnet linear motors

In summary, the conversation is about a mechanical engineer's interest in tubular linear permanent magnet motors and their goal to eventually build their own. They have been reading about motor theory but want more practical construction knowledge, so they found an old tubular linear motor to disassemble and learn from. They are puzzled by the fact that the motor's shaft does not contain permanent magnets and are seeking clarification on how the motor works.
carpekd
Hello all,

I'm a mechanical engineer who recently recently became interested in linear motors and generators (random, i know). I've narrowed my interest to tubular linear permanent magnet motors (servo types) such as the ones made by these people:

http://www.dunkermotor.com/default.asp?id=116&lang=2
http://linmot.com/
http://www.nitek.it/green-drive-tubular-linear-motor_prd_pr3_12_27_eng.aspx

My end goal is to eventually build my own, but my knowledge electrical motor theory is very limited at the moment. So to that end, I'm reading as much as I can and trying to soak it in, but everything I'm reading is theory based, and I want some practical construction knowledge as well. So to start, I found an old tubular linear motor (made by innovex inc.) off a transfer switch to disassemble and dissect. It looked like the basic type of motor I'm interested in (without an encoder...) but I'm puzzled by the fact that the shaft doesn't contain permanent magnets... Can anyone fill me in on how this linear motor works? I've attached a picture and I've got more of the disassembly if you need it.

Attachments

• 20131205_191327.jpg
    20131205_191327.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,556
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
ping @jim hardy. Spring cleaning, but you might like a crack at it. I can move it to DIY.

1. What is a tubular permanent magnet linear motor?

A tubular permanent magnet linear motor is a type of linear motor that uses a cylindrical magnet to create linear motion. The magnet is typically surrounded by a coil, and when current is passed through the coil, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the magnet to produce motion.

2. How does a tubular permanent magnet linear motor work?

A tubular permanent magnet linear motor works by using the principles of electromagnetism. When an electrical current is passed through the coil surrounding the magnet, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the permanent magnet to produce linear motion. The direction and speed of the motion can be controlled by varying the current in the coil.

3. What are the advantages of using a tubular permanent magnet linear motor?

There are several advantages to using a tubular permanent magnet linear motor. These include high efficiency, high precision, low maintenance, and a compact design. These motors also have a high power-to-weight ratio and can operate at high speeds.

4. What are the applications of tubular permanent magnet linear motors?

Tubular permanent magnet linear motors have a wide range of applications, including in industrial automation, robotics, packaging machines, and medical equipment. They are also commonly used in transportation systems such as high-speed trains and maglev trains.

5. How do tubular permanent magnet linear motors compare to other types of linear motors?

Tubular permanent magnet linear motors have several advantages over other types of linear motors, such as flat iron-core linear motors. They have a higher power-to-weight ratio, are more efficient, and have a simpler and more compact design. However, they may not be suitable for applications that require high force or large strokes.