Turbulence issues within tubing (Exair Vortex system)

In summary, the speaker has used the Darcy Friction Factor and Reynolds number to calculate energy losses in the cold air tubing of their vortex system. They have determined that decreasing transitions, length, diameter, and velocity will lead to colder air, but they are struggling to find the right ratio of velocity and diameter for laminar flow. They are considering using Bernoulli's equation to calculate pressure drops and are wondering if there is an easy way to decrease turbulence in an elbow without using guide vanes. They mention using an air amplifier as an alternative to the vortex system for cooling.
Kevin Halagan
Hello,
I used the Darcy Friction Factor from the Moody Diagram along with the Reynolds number to find energy losses inside the cold air tubing of our vortex system. My calculations showed that I should decrease transitions, length, diameter, and velocity. I am mainly concerned with the figuring out an equation to get the right ratio of velocity and diameter so I can get laminar flow. It seems like there is a very short range where I can adjust these two and come out with colder air. I tried writing a DE to figure out how but am struggling with the variables. I am wondering If I should abandon this approach and use Bernoulli's so I can figure out pressure drops at certain parts or if what I am doing is correct. Also is there an easy to decrease turbulence inside an elbow without using guide vanes?
Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

What is a vortex system?

Its a generator that cools air.

the air then proceds out and cools CPU's while they are being tested.

If you want colder air run your high pressure line right up to your workstation and regulate to your working pressure as close to the work as possible
What do you do with the hot side air?
It is easy to decrease turbulence in an elbow use a bigger elbow with a smooth radius
I personally prefer an air amplifier for cooling it's not as cool as the hot cold vortex but it puts out more air than it uses. The vortex dumps half the air out the back

Last edited:

1. What is turbulence and why is it an issue within tubing?

Turbulence is the chaotic movement of air or fluid within a confined space. In the case of tubing, turbulence can occur when the air or fluid flow is disrupted or obstructed, causing uneven and unpredictable movement. This can lead to reduced efficiency and potentially damage to the tubing.

2. How does the Exair Vortex system address turbulence within tubing?

The Exair Vortex system utilizes a special design of a vortex tube to create a controlled, laminar air flow within the tubing. This eliminates turbulence and ensures smooth and efficient air flow without causing damage to the tubing.

3. Can the Exair Vortex system be used with different types of tubing?

Yes, the Exair Vortex system can be used with various types of tubing, including plastic, metal, and rubber. The system is designed to be versatile and can be easily adapted to fit different tubing sizes and shapes.

4. What benefits does the Exair Vortex system offer compared to other solutions for turbulence within tubing?

The Exair Vortex system is a cost-effective and energy-efficient solution for controlling turbulence within tubing. It does not require any external power source, as it uses the energy from the compressed air to create the vortex. It also has no moving parts, reducing the risk of wear and tear and increasing its reliability.

5. Are there any maintenance requirements for the Exair Vortex system?

The Exair Vortex system is designed to be low maintenance. It is recommended to regularly check the air filter and clean it as needed. The internal parts of the vortex tube may also require occasional cleaning to remove any buildup of contaminants. However, with proper use and care, the system can last for years without the need for major maintenance.