Tutorial In Introductory Physics: charge

In summary, the conversation is discussing a physics assignment with different cases and charges. The speaker is struggling with part two of question two, specifically with Case C and D. They believe that Case C and D are equal, but do not have justification. They also mention that Case A is less than Case B, and that Case D should be larger than Case C based on that information. The conversation then prompts for justification for Case A< Case B.
Salamandersam
link to problem: http://www.csu.edu/chemistryandphysics/msabella/ccli/UpdatedLabs/physics2-calc/HW%20packet.pdf

I don't under part two of question two on the assignment with the Case C and D. my gut instinct tells me that they are equal, but I do not have justifacation and when I look back to part one of 2 I think that Case D would have a greater force on the +q charge.

I know that Case A< Case B, and case C looks like 2(case A) and case D looks like (case A + Case B) so 2(case A) should be less than (case A +case B) meaning that Case D should be larger than C?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Salamandersam! Welcome to PF! :wink:
Salamandersam said:
… I do not have justifacation …

I know that Case A< Case B …

Yes, so let's start with that …

tell us your justification for Case A< Case B :smile:

1. What is charge?

Charge is a fundamental physical property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electromagnetic field. It can be positive or negative, and is measured in units of Coulombs (C).

2. How is charge related to electricity?

Electricity is the flow of charge. When charges move, they create an electric current, which can be harnessed to power devices and perform work.

3. What are the two types of charge?

The two types of charge are positive and negative. These charges are represented by the symbols "+q" and "-q", respectively. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract.

4. How is charge conserved?

According to the law of conservation of charge, charge can neither be created nor destroyed. This means that the total amount of charge in a closed system remains constant, even if it is transferred between objects.

5. What is the relationship between charge and mass?

Charge and mass are two fundamental properties of matter that are related to each other through the equation q=me, where q is charge, m is mass, and e is the elementary charge (1.602 x 10^-19 C). This equation is known as the charge-to-mass ratio and is used to calculate the charge of an object based on its mass and vice versa.