Two air cylinders acting against each other

In summary, the main piston in this design would have a fine adjustment screw on the back to allow it to reach four adjustable positions, using two pop-up stops. The advantage to this design is that there would be no position variation, as opposed to using opposing air pistons.
djc9273
I'm trying to design a system in which one air cylinder (single piston) can reach 4 repeatable positions. Multi-piston cylinders won't work because I need fine adjustment in the position of each of the four stages. The four positions are at 0 inch, 1 inch, 2 inch and 3 inch.

My idea was to have one cylinder as the main driving cylinder (let's call this cylinder A with a stroke of 3 inches and bore of 25mm), and two cylinders (theoretically coaxial with Cylinder A, but acting in a the opposite direction) with a stroke of 1 and 2 inches respectively (and a bore of 32mm). Let's call these cylinders B (2 inch stroke) and C (1 inch stroke).

My idea is to use the cylinders B and C as "hard stops" to obtain an adjustable position that Cylinder A can extend to (through the use of a through piston rod with a fine adjustment screw on the back)

There will be four positions, and in order to reach position 1 & 4, Cylinder A would be extended or retracted as usual. To reach position 2, Cylinder B would be extended and cylinder A would be Extended. This way the rod of cylinder A would be driving against the rod of cylinder B (which has a larger bore, same pressure). And likewise for position 3.

My concern is how "hard" these hard stops would be in this situation. With the same pressure throughout the system, the force in Cylinders B & C would always overcome Cylinder A, but will there be any drift in the position once the system "settles" at positions 2 & 3?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think rather than using opposing air pistons you're better off using pop-up stops for the main piston using solenoids. Depending on where you want it to stop, actuate the bump stop for the position you want. As you say, opposing air pistons could have some position variation if there are pressure equalization issues, and they will have some settling time as well.

What is the concept of two air cylinders acting against each other?

The concept of two air cylinders acting against each other refers to a system where two cylinders filled with compressed air are connected together and the air pressure in one cylinder is used to counteract the pressure in the other cylinder.

How do two air cylinders act against each other?

The air pressure in one cylinder pushes against the air pressure in the other cylinder, creating a balanced force. This allows for controlled motion and force in a variety of applications, such as in pneumatic systems.

What are the advantages of using two air cylinders acting against each other?

Using two air cylinders acting against each other allows for a controlled and precise transfer of force without the need for complex mechanical systems. It also reduces the risk of damage or malfunctions compared to using a single cylinder.

Can two air cylinders acting against each other be used in different applications?

Yes, two air cylinders acting against each other can be used in a variety of applications, such as in robotics, manufacturing, and transportation. They can also be used in different orientations and configurations to suit the specific needs of the application.

How is the air pressure in two air cylinders regulated?

The air pressure in two air cylinders can be regulated using valves, which control the flow of air into and out of the cylinders. These valves can be manually operated or automated using sensors and controllers to maintain a specific pressure level.