Two balls of different mass elastically collide

In summary, two balls of different masses are dropped from a certain height, with an elastic collision occurring when they meet. The resulting heights of the balls after the collision are calculated using equations related to conservation of momentum and kinetic energy. These equations involve subtracting masses and are derived from the principle of conservation of energy. A video by physicist Walter Lewin is recommended for further understanding.
REGNUM

Homework Statement

A tennis ball of mass m_t is held just above a basketball of mass m_b. With their centers vertically aligned, both are released from rest at the same moment, so that the bottom of the basketball falls freely through a height h and strikes the floor. Assume an elastic collision with the ground instantaneously reverses the velocity of the basketball while the tennis ball is still moving down because the balls have a very small amount of separation while falling.
m_(b)asketball ≈ 11m_(t)ennis ball

(Q1.) The two balls meet in an elastic collision. To what height does the tennis ball & basketball rebound?
(Q2.) How do you account for the height being larger than h? Does that seem like a violation of conservation of energy?

Homework Equations

(1.) v_1f (basket ball) = [(m_1-m_2)/(m_1+m_2)]v_1i + [(2*m_2)/(m_1+m_2)]v_2i

(2.) V_2f (tennis ball) = [(2*m_1)/(m_1+m_2)]v_i + [(m_2-m_1)/(m_1+m_2)]

(3.) v_1i (basketball) = -v_2i (tennis ball) →
v_1i = + √(2gh)
v_2i = -√(2gh)

*Note: Recall, m_basketball ≈ 11*m_tennis ball

The Attempt at a Solution

*I already have the correct solution and answer to the first questions but I don't understand it. I need help with understanding the story behind the mathwork.

-Solution 1a:
Answer: Tennis ball will rise up to ~7 times of its original height approximately.

-Solution 1b:
(i) v_1f (basket ball) = [(m_1-m_2)/(m_1+m_2)](√(2gh)) + [(2*m_2)/(m_1+m_2)](-√(2gh))
(ii) =[(m_b-3*m_t)/(m_b+m_t)](√(2gh))
(iii) =(8/12)(√(2gh))

****how does this (direclty below, iv) relate to the last part of my above solution (iii):
(iv) (1/2)(m_b*v^2_1f)=m_b*g*h_1f)
(v) h_1f = (v^2_1f)/(2*g) = h*(2/3)^2 ≈ 0.44*h
Answer: Basketball will rise up to ~.44 times of its original height approximately.

My Questions:
A. I can see that the equations given:
(1.) v_1f (basket ball) = [(m_1-m_2)/(m_1+m_2)]v_1i + [(2*m_2)/(m_1+m_2)]v_2i
(2.) V_2f (tennis ball) = [(2*m_1)/(m_1+m_2)]v_i + [(m_2-m_1)/(m_1+m_2)]

relates to the conservation of momentum (which I'm guessing will be the equation that I am supposed to always think of first when it comes to elastic collisions) but how and why did we subtract mass in the equations? instead of just using m_1*v_1i + m_2*v_2i = m_1*v_1f + m_2*v_2f

Note: I am really struggling with Physics, helping me understand the material and learning it...I would really appreciate it. I sit at one problem for hours, which eats up my time in studying my other course material.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Regnum, I am not sure about what your question actually is
You want to know how to derive the equations that relate masses, initial and final velocities in an elastic one dimensional collision ?
Conservation of momentum is only half of it and it is not really what you should first think about when told about an elastic collision. Elastic collision tells you that the kinetic energy is conserved.
Together with the conservation of momentum (or of the speed of the center of mass) you get to those formulas.
Have a look at this
there is a nice video of Walter Lewin that should help you a lot

1. What happens to the kinetic energy during an elastic collision between two balls of different mass?

During an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the sum of the kinetic energies of the two balls before the collision is equal to the sum of the kinetic energies after the collision.

2. How does the momentum change during an elastic collision between two balls of different mass?

In an elastic collision, the total momentum of the system is also conserved. This means that the sum of the momentums of the two balls before the collision is equal to the sum of the momentums after the collision.

3. Can two balls of different mass have the same velocity after an elastic collision?

Yes, it is possible for two balls of different mass to have the same velocity after an elastic collision. This occurs when the lighter ball has a higher initial velocity and collides with the heavier ball, causing it to rebound with a higher velocity and the lighter ball to rebound with a lower velocity.

4. How does the velocity of the two balls change after an elastic collision?

The velocity of each ball changes in the opposite direction after an elastic collision. The lighter ball will rebound with a higher velocity, while the heavier ball will rebound with a lower velocity.

5. Is there any loss of energy during an elastic collision between two balls of different mass?

No, there is no loss of energy during an elastic collision between two balls of different mass. All of the kinetic energy before the collision is converted into kinetic energy after the collision, with no energy being lost due to friction or other factors.