Two balls one thrown up and other down

In summary: F=GmM/r^2. a=GM/r^2=g. Same acceleration means same speed near the ground.v^2=u_0^2-2gh. So same speed at ground. I got it.
rudransh verma
Gold Member
Homework Statement
From the building two balls A and B are thrown such that A is thrown upwards and B downwards in vertical direction with same speed. If v_A and v_B are their respective velocities on reaching ground, then
1)v_B>v_A
2) v_A=v_B
3) v_A>v_B
4) velocity depend on mass
Relevant Equations
##E=K+U=constant##
I think because both are launched with same speed so both have same KE. Since one is Thrown downwards it’s KE will increase but not that much as the body which is thrown upwards. Because it covers more distance so it gains more energy(the body thrown up). So 3rd option must be right.

Physics news on Phys.org
rudransh verma said:
I think because both are launched with same speed so both have same KE.
But their masses could be different. The question doesn't say equal masses.

rudransh verma said:
Since one is Thrown downwards it’s KE will increase but not that much as the body which is thrown upwards.
Assume negligible air resistance. Call the (identical) initial speeds 'V'.

Ball A rises to max. height and then comes down. What will ball A's speed be when (while falling downwards) it is level with its intial launch point? Why?

Steve4Physics said:
ball A's speed be when (while falling downwards) it is level with its intial launch point? Why?
V. (Conservation of mechanical energy )

This is essentially identical to your tomato problem from yesterday. You are too focused on pursuing tangents. You need to start working with the equations, rather than trying to talk your way through the problem. Working with equations is how you learn to talk your way through the problem.

rudransh verma said:
So it has the same speed downwards when passing the launch point as the other ball had when being thrown from the launch point ... hence ...

rudransh verma said:
So 3rd option must be right.

rudransh verma said:

How is it possible that you do not see that these two statements are mutually contradictory ?

caz said:
This is essentially identical to your tomato problem from yesterday. You are too focused on pursuing tangents. You need to start working with the equations, rather than trying to talk your way through the problem. Working with equations is how you learn to talk your way through the problem.
Ok! On arriving at the launch point body A will have
KE=1/2mv_0^2(initial)= mgh(max height) =1/2mv^2(final).
Then ##W=\Delta KE=-mgd=KEfinal-1/2mv_0^2##
For body B same final kinetic energy. So same speed at the ground. Option
B is right.

Last edited:
Steve4Physics said:
But their masses could be different. The question doesn't say equal masses.
I have a confusion. You are right. Then how am I correct?
Final KE must be different because of different masses.

What does
rudransh verma said:
Ok! On arriving at the launch point body A will have
KE=1/2mv_0^2(initial)= mgh(max height) =1/2mv^2(final).
Then ##W=\Delta KE=-mgd=KEfinal-1/2mv_0^2##
For body B same final kinetic energy. So same speed at the ground. Option B is right.
What does work (line 3) have to do with this problem?
Why are you talking about KE (line 4)?
You are writing down equations and guessing a solution.
Solve the equations!

Last edited:
Likes rudransh verma
caz said:
What does work (line 3) have to do with this problem?
Work by gravitational force. Same amount of work transfer same energy.
caz said:
Why are you talking about KE (line 4)?
I thought same energy means same velocity but I am wrong. Now I can see.
If both bodies have same mass then it’s pretty easy to see that delta KE will be same. But here in question it’s not given that.
It’s clear that at the launch point the speed will be same. v^2=u^2-2gh. By third eqn of motion. They will have same velocity/speed. I got it!

rudransh verma said:
I have a confusion. You are right. Then how am I correct?
Final KE must be different because of different masses.
If you drop a ball of mass M and another ball of mass 2M from a tower in Italy (other countries are available) which ball reaches the ground first (assume air resistance is negligible)?

The full answer is in the maths. Can you derive an equation for the final speed of a mass ##m##, thrown (in any direction (!)) with initial speed ##v_0## from height ##h##?

Once you have this equation, you can see - by inspecting the equation -how changing the mass (or the height or the initial speed) affects the final answer.

Maybe it helps if you consider a throw which is not perfectly vertical, but at some angle instead.

1646505246061.png

One ball describes the black plus the red curve, and the other only the red one.

Now, there are three question:

Are the velocities different at the point where black turns into red?
Why does it not depend on the angle?
Why does it not depend on the masses?

Likes phinds
Steve4Physics said:
If you drop a ball of mass M and another ball of mass 2M from a tower in Italy (other countries are available) which ball reaches the ground first (assume air resistance is negligible)?
F=GmM/r^2. a=GM/r^2=g. Same acceleration means same speed near the ground.
v^2=u_0^2-2gh. So same speed at ground. I got it. v does not depend on mass.Thanks.

rudransh verma said:
F=GmM/r^2. a=GM/r^2=g. Same acceleration means same speed near the ground.
v^2=u_0^2-2gh. So same speed at ground. I got it. v does not depend on mass.Thanks.
Sounds like you may have got it. But to complete the process, can you answer the question asked in Post #11, which was:

A mass ##m## is thrown (in an unknown direction) at speed ##v_0## from a height ##h##. Derive an equation for the speed of impact of the mass with the ground.

The first line of your derivation could be:
initial total energy = final total energy

Likes Lnewqban
Steve4Physics said:
A mass m is thrown (in an unknown direction) at speed v0 from a height h. Derive an equation for the speed of impact of the mass with the ground.
##{v}^2={v_0}^2+2gh##

rudransh verma said:
##{v}^2={v_0}^2+2gh##
Yes. Well done. Note:

1) You haven't shown the actual derivation/reasoning.

2) You haven't actually completed the exercise, which requires a formula for ##v##, not for ##v^2##.

3) From the equation you can tell that changing the mass doesn't affect ##v## (beause mass is not in the formula for ##v##).

The exercise was about final speed, so the sign of ##v## is is positive. But, for information, note that your equation gives ##v=±\sqrt{{v_0}^2+2gh}##. To find the final velocity for a 1D vertical motion problem, you would need to choose between the positive and negative solutions.

Likes Lnewqban
Steve4Physics said:
Yes. Well done.
Thank you @Steve4Physics I like to be correct. (-ve)

Last edited:
Likes Steve4Physics and Lnewqban

What is the concept of "Two balls one thrown up and other down"?

The concept refers to an experiment where two balls are dropped simultaneously from the same height, one ball is thrown upwards and the other ball is dropped downwards. This experiment is used to demonstrate the effects of gravity and acceleration on objects.

What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to observe and understand the motion of objects in a gravitational field. It helps to demonstrate the principles of acceleration, velocity, and gravity.

What factors affect the motion of the balls in this experiment?

The motion of the balls is affected by factors such as the initial velocity, the force of gravity, air resistance, and the surface on which the balls are dropped.

What is the expected outcome of this experiment?

The expected outcome of this experiment is that both balls will hit the ground at the same time, regardless of their initial velocity or the direction in which they were thrown. This is due to the effects of gravity, which causes all objects to accelerate towards the ground at the same rate.

What are the real-world applications of this experiment?

This experiment has real-world applications in understanding and predicting the motion of objects in a gravitational field, such as projectiles, falling objects, and even celestial bodies. It also helps in designing and testing equipment that relies on the principles of gravity and acceleration, such as parachutes and rockets.