Two light sources are a distance D apart

In summary: You have too many constraints there: you demand that ##x_2 = x_1 + D## and that ##t'_1 = t'_2##. You...
romanski007
Homework Statement
Two light sources are at rest and at a distance D apart on the x-axis of some inertial frame, O. They emit photons simultaneously in that frame in the positive x-direction. Show that in an inertial frame, O', in which the sources have a velocity v along the x-axis, the photons are separated by a constant distance $$D\sqrt{\frac{c-u}{c+u}}$$
Relevant Equations
$$D\sqrt{\frac{c-u}{c+u}}$$
$$x_2-x_1 =D$$
I let E1 be the event where source 1 emits the photon and E2 for the second source with the respective coordinates in O as $(x_1, t_1$) and $(x_2,t_2)$ such that $t_2=t_1 \because$ simultaneous and $x_2-x_1 =D$.

Using Lorentz transformation I obtained that in O', $$x'_2-x'_1 = \gamma (D-v(t_2-t_1))=\gamma D \ \because t_2 = t_1$$ In the solutions $$t_2-t_1 = \frac{D}{c} $$ however I cannot see where this came from.

Physics news on Phys.org
romanski007 said:
Using Lorentz transformation I obtained that in O', $$x'_2-x'_1 = \gamma (D-v(t_2-t_1))=\gamma D \ \because t_2 = t_1$$
Okay, these are the ##x'## coordinates of events E1 and E2. What about the time coordinates ##t'## of these events?

Note that you apparently have length dilation there: ##D' = \gamma D##(?)

PeroK said:
Okay, these are the ##x'## coordinates of events E1 and E2. What about the time coordinates ##t'## of these events?

Note that you apparently have length dilation there: ##D' = \gamma D##(?)

Why do I need ##t'## coordinates if I am only considering the length difference in O' ? Furthermore in O, how does the time difference of ##\frac{D}{c}## emerge if both events are simultaneous in O.

romanski007 said:
Why do I need ##t'## coordinates if I am only considering the length difference in O' ?
There are many ways to answer that! One answer is why not compute the time coordinates just to see?

Another answer is: what does it mean to say that two moving objects are a certain distance apart? How do you define spatial separation for two moving objects?

Hint: does simultaneity of measurements have anything to do with it?

PeroK said:
There are many ways to answer that! One answer is why not compute the time coordinates just to see?

Another answer is: what does it mean to say that two moving objects are a certain distance apart? How do you define spatial separation for two moving objects?

Hint: does simultaneity of measurements have anything to do with it?

Oh so actually it's ## t'_1 = t'_2 ##, so in that case, ##x_2-x_1 = D + c(t_2 - t_1 ) ## as both sources would emit light simultaneously and hence
$$x_2'-x_1' = \gamma (D + c(t_2 - t_1) - v(t_2 - t_1)$$ and since in O', the event is simultaneous, I got
$$t_2'-t_1' = 0 = \gamma \[ t_2 - t_1 - \frac{v}{c^2} (D + c (t_2 - t_1)) \]$$
which simplifies to $$t_2 - t_1 = \frac{vD}{c(c-v)}$$
Hence substituting for ##t_2 - t_1## I got
$$x_2' - x_1' = \gamma (D + \frac{vD}{c-v} - \frac{v^2 D }{c(c-v})$$
$$x_2' - x_1 ' = \gamma D \frac {c+v}{c}= D \sqrt {\frac{c+v}{c-v}}$$
Did I commit some algebraic mistake or perhaps + and - as an answer were mistaken?

romanski007 said:
Oh so actually it's ## t'_1 = t'_2 ##, so in that case, ##x_2-x_1 = D + c(t_2 - t_1 ) ## as both sources would emit light simultaneously and hence
$$x_2'-x_1' = \gamma (D + c(t_2 - t_1) - v(t_2 - t_1)$$ and since in O', the event is simultaneous, I got
$$t_2'-t_1' = 0 = \gamma \[ t_2 - t_1 - \frac{v}{c^2} (D + c (t_2 - t_1)) \]$$
which simplifies to $$t_2 - t_1 = \frac{vD}{c(c-v)}$$
Hence substituting for ##t_2 - t_1## I got
$$x_2' - x_1' = \gamma (D + \frac{vD}{c-v} - \frac{v^2 D }{c(c-v})$$
$$x_2' - x_1 ' = \gamma D \frac {c+v}{c}= D \sqrt {\frac{c+v}{c-v}}$$
Did I commit some algebraic mistake or perhaps + and - as an answer were mistaken?
Have you seen the derivation of length contraction? In any case, you need to be more careful about using ##D = x_2 - x_1##. That's only true if ##x_1, x_2## represent the sources at the same time in the unprimed frame. If you take events which are simultaneous in frame ##S'##, they do not map to events that are simultaneous in frame ##S##, hence do not map to events where ##x_2 - x_1 = D##.

You need to take more care.

PeroK said:
Have you seen the derivation of length contraction? In any case, you need to be more careful about using ##D = x_2 - x_1##. That's only true if ##x_1, x_2## represent the sources at the same time in the unprimed frame. If you take events which are simultaneous in frame ##S'##, they do not map to events that are simultaneous in frame ##S##, hence do not map to events where ##x_2 - x_1 = D##.

You need to take more care.

In relation to the attached diagram, I described the position of ##x_1, x_2 ## and hence took their difference, and transformed it to the primed reference frame where ##t' = ## constant

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    14.1 KB · Views: 87
romanski007 said:
In relation to the attached diagram, I described the position of ##x_1, x_2 ## and hence took their difference, and transformed it to the primed reference frame where ##t' = ## constant
You have too many constraints there: you demand that ##x_2 = x_1 + D## and that ##t'_1 = t'_2##. You cannot have both those equations:
$$t'_1 = t'_2 \ \Rightarrow \ t_1 \ne t_2 \ \Rightarrow \ x_2 \ne x_1 + D$$

PS this is even clearer if you take the first event to be the (common) origin of the frames. Then the second event is: ##(0, D)## in the first frame and ##(t'_2, x'_2)## in the second frame, where ##t'_2 \ne 0##.

If you want ##t'_2 = 0##, then you need to choose a different event: ##(t_1, x_1)## where necessarily ##t_1 \ne 0## and ##x_1 \ne D##.

PeroK said:
You have too many constraints there: you demand that x2=x1+D and that t1′=t2′. You cannot have both those equations:
t1′=t2′ ⇒ t1≠t2 ⇒ x2≠x1+D

Yes, the way I worked it out was by letting ##x_2 = x_0 + D + ct_2 ## and ##x_1 = x_0 + ct_1## so that ##x_2 -x_1 = D + c(t_2 - t_1) ##

PeroK said:
PS this is even clearer if you take the first event to be the (common) origin of the frames. Then the second event is: ##(0, D)## in the first frame and ##(t'_2, x'_2)## in the second frame, where ##t'_2 \ne 0##.

If you want ##t'_2 = 0##, then you need to choose a different event: ##(t_1, x_1)## where necessarily ##t_1 \ne 0## and ##x_1 \ne D##.

I did it in the first case so that
$$x_2'-x_1' = \gamma (x_2 - x_1 - v (t_2 - t_1) = \gamma D \because t_2 - t_1 = 0 $$ but the final answer impliesthat $$t_2-t_1 = \frac{D}{c} $$

romanski007 said:
Yes, the way I worked it out was by letting ##x_2 = x_0 + D + ct_2 ## and ##x_1 = x_0 + ct_1## so that ##x_2 -x_1 = D + c(t_2 - t_1) ##

Okay, yes I see that now. Apologies.

You may have done the wrong transformation. The sources are the "moving frame", so you want the inverse transformation.

Likes romanski007 and TSny

1. How does the distance between two light sources affect their interaction?

The distance between two light sources affects their interaction by determining the intensity and direction of the light waves. The closer the light sources are to each other, the more they will interfere with each other, resulting in a brighter or dimmer light depending on the type of interference. The farther apart the light sources are, the less they will interact and the light will appear more separate.

2. What is the relationship between the distance between two light sources and the angle of interference?

The distance between two light sources and the angle of interference are inversely proportional. This means that as the distance between the light sources increases, the angle of interference decreases. This is because the farther apart the light sources are, the less they will interfere with each other, resulting in a smaller angle of interference.

3. How does the distance between two light sources affect the color of the light produced?

The distance between two light sources does not directly affect the color of the light produced. However, the type of interference that occurs due to the distance can affect the color perception. For example, if the light sources are close together and exhibit constructive interference, the resulting light may appear brighter and more intense, giving the perception of a different color than if the light sources were farther apart and exhibiting destructive interference.

4. Can the distance between two light sources be manipulated to create a specific color of light?

Yes, the distance between two light sources can be manipulated to create a specific color of light. This can be achieved by adjusting the distance between the light sources to produce the desired type of interference, which will result in a specific color perception. This technique is commonly used in optical devices such as diffraction gratings and interferometers.

5. How does the distance between two light sources affect the overall brightness of the light?

The distance between two light sources can affect the overall brightness of the light depending on the type of interference that occurs. If the light sources are close together and exhibit constructive interference, the resulting light will appear brighter. However, if the light sources are farther apart and exhibit destructive interference, the resulting light will appear dimmer. The distance between the light sources can also affect the overall brightness if one of the light sources is significantly brighter than the other, resulting in a dominant light source and a less intense interference pattern.