Failure of simultaneity at a distance

In summary, the conversation discusses the Lorentz transformations and how events simultaneous in one frame may not be simultaneous in another. The example given involves a spaceship with a clock made of a central source of light and two mirrors at the ends. There is some confusion about whether the events are simultaneous in the moving system S' or the fixed system S. However, it is ultimately concluded that events simultaneous in S will not be simultaneous in S'. The conversation is taken from a PDF of Feynman lectures.
Karol

Homework Statement

Snap1.jpg

Snap2.jpg

I get ##~t_1-t_2=\frac{u}{c^2}(x_1-x_2)##

Homework Equations

Lorentz transformations:
$$x'=\frac{x-ut}{\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}}$$
$$t'=\frac{t-ux/c^2}{\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

t' are times in the moving system S' and are equal, the times t in the fixed system S differ, so:
$$t'=\frac{t-ux/c^2}{\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}}~\Rightarrow~t=t'\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}+\frac{ux}{c^2}$$
$$\rightarrow~t_1-t_2=\frac{u}{c^2}(x_1-x_2)$$

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem statement is a bit garbled. The events are simultaneous in S, not S'. So you are solving for Δt', not Δt.

But it is clearly said:
"events that occur at two separate places, at the same time, as seen by Moe in S'..."
So the events are simultaneous in S'. and there is also the example given later, which i didn't include, is about a spaceship with a clock made of a central source of light and two mirrors at the ends.

Karol said:
But it is clearly said:
"events that occur at two separate places, at the same time, as seen by Moe in S'..."
But then it immediately contradicts that by saying "If one event occurs at point x1 at time t0 and the other event at x2 at t0 (the same time)". So despite the first sentence they are talking about events simultaneous in S, not S'. Otherwise, why would they calculate t2' - t1'? It would just be zero!

What textbook is this from?

You are right, it would be zero. my english isn't that good, maybe i don't understand.
I took it from a PDF i have of Feinman lectures, i attach it here, it's short

Attachments

• Vol 1 Ch 15 - The Special Theory of Relativity.pdf
    786.5 KB · Views: 218
Feynman's talking in general, saying that things simultaneous in one frame are not simultaneous in another. Doesn't matter whether its S' or S.

(I'll admit that it's confusing to follow up that first statement about events simultaneous in S' with a formula based on events simultaneous in S!)

Thank you very much Doc Al

1. What is the concept of failure of simultaneity at a distance?

The concept of failure of simultaneity at a distance is a phenomenon in physics where events that occur at different locations and at the same time for one observer may not occur at the same time for another observer. This is due to the relativity of simultaneity and the fact that the speed of light is constant in all frames of reference.

2. How does the theory of relativity explain the failure of simultaneity at a distance?

The theory of relativity, specifically the special theory of relativity, explains the failure of simultaneity at a distance by stating that the perception of time is relative to the observer's frame of reference. Therefore, events that occur at the same time for one observer may not occur at the same time for another observer due to differences in their relative velocities and distances.

3. Can the failure of simultaneity at a distance be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the failure of simultaneity at a distance can be observed in everyday life. An example of this is the time delays in communication between different locations on Earth, such as phone calls or internet communication. Due to the finite speed of light, information takes time to travel between locations, leading to differences in the perception of time for different observers.

4. How is the failure of simultaneity at a distance relevant in scientific research?

The failure of simultaneity at a distance is relevant in scientific research, particularly in fields that deal with high speeds and long distances, such as astrophysics and cosmology. It is also important in the development of technologies such as GPS, which rely on precise timekeeping and the understanding of relativistic effects.

5. Does the failure of simultaneity at a distance have any practical implications?

Yes, the failure of simultaneity at a distance has practical implications in fields such as transportation and navigation. For example, the time differences caused by the failure of simultaneity at a distance must be taken into account for accurate GPS navigation and for the synchronization of clocks in different locations for efficient transportation systems.