Two Masses Connected by Spring Against Wall

In summary, a system of two blocks connected by a spring of force constant k and mass M was initially compressed against a wall with a distance D between the blocks. When released, the system's center of mass had a velocity of (D/2)√(k/M) and the right-hand block had a velocity of D√(k/M). At the moment of maximal compression, the velocities of both blocks are equal. The distance S that the spring is compressed at this moment is equal to D/√2. This value is less than the initial compression distance D due to the conservation of energy, as energy is both converted to potential and kinetic energy when the spring is compressed again.
Gill987

Homework Statement

A system consists of two blocks each of mass M, connected by a spring of force constant k. The system is initially shoved against a wall so that the spring is compressed a distance D from its original uncompressed length. Floor is frictionless. The system is now released with no initial velocity.

I had to find the velocity of the right hand block when the spring expands back to its equilibrium position which is the instant the left block leaves the wall (but still has 0 velocity), which was D√(k/M)

V center of mass was (D/2)√(k/M)

a. Eventually as the system moves to the right the spring will compress a maximum S. What will S be equal to?

b. Using energy, explain why S should be less than, greater than, or equal to D.

Homework Equations

F=-kx

F= -dU/dx

U=(1/2)kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have much, was trying center of mass equations but things would cancel out. Was trying to use conservation of energy, but I figured the left block now has a velocity and the right block has a different velocity, with the left velocity being greater in order for the spring to be compressed, and I have no idea what the velocities are.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• Physics Diagram.png
    Physics Diagram.png
    2 KB · Views: 938
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Gill987; Welcome to Physics Forums.

It looks like moving to the center-of-mass frame of reference would be a good idea.

You have calculated the speed of the center of mass and the speed of the right-hand block. The initial speed of the left-hand block is also known, so you should be able to write the speeds of both blocks in the center of mass frame of reference.

In the center of mass frame the KE will trade with the spring PE as the system evolves over time. Fortunately the initial conditions you have have the spring at its natural length...

Hello Gill987. Welcome to PF!

How do the velocities of the two blocks compare at the instant the spring is maximally compressed? If the left block is traveling faster than the right block, then would the spring have reached its max compression?

Thanks for responding!

At the moment of max compression, the velocities of both blocks are equal. I tried using conservation of energy, and got (1/2)mv^2 = (1/2)mV^2 + (1/2)mV^2 + (1/2)ks^2, where V is the after velocity of the blocks and v is the before velocity of the right hand block, solving for s and plugging in I got √(D^2 -2(m/k)V^2), but I don't know V. Would I get it by changing the reference frame, because I'm trying that but not quite getting good results...

Can you determine V from your knowledge of the center of mass velocity?

I found velocity of center of mass when both blocks are moving at the same speed to get V, set that equal to (D/2)√(k/m), solved for V, plugged in, and got D/√2 = s.

Heh, I actually started typing this and then saw your reply. I hope this is right.

Looks good!

Awesome!

For the second part, I know that the energy when it was initially compressed was (1/2)kD^2, and when it compressed again energy was mV^2 + (1/2)ks^2, so can I say total energy came from D initially, and then came from both V and s, so s has a smaller value? Or how could I word that better?

(Thanks for all your help)

Yes, that sounds good. Total energy is conserved. Initially it was all PE and later, when spring is compressed by S, there is both KE and PE. So, final PE is less than initial PE.

Great, thanks for all your help!

Related to Two Masses Connected by Spring Against Wall

1. What is the purpose of studying two masses connected by a spring against a wall?

The purpose of studying this system is to understand the principles of simple harmonic motion and how it applies to real-world scenarios. This system is a common example used in physics to demonstrate the concepts of oscillation and energy conservation.

2. How does the mass of the spring affect the motion of the masses?

The mass of the spring affects the period and frequency of the oscillations. A heavier spring will have a longer period and lower frequency, while a lighter spring will have a shorter period and higher frequency. However, the mass of the spring does not affect the amplitude or energy of the oscillations.

3. What factors influence the amplitude of the oscillations in this system?

The amplitude of the oscillations is affected by the initial displacement of the masses, the spring constant, and the damping force (if present). A larger initial displacement will result in a larger amplitude, while a larger spring constant will result in a smaller amplitude. The presence of a damping force will decrease the amplitude over time.

4. Can the spring in this system be replaced with a different type of elastic material?

Yes, the spring can be replaced with a different type of elastic material. However, the characteristics of the material (such as its spring constant) will affect the behavior of the system. The spring constant of the material must be taken into consideration when analyzing the system's motion.

5. How does the position of the masses affect the potential and kinetic energy in this system?

The position of the masses affects the potential and kinetic energy in this system. When the masses are at their equilibrium position, the potential energy is at its maximum and the kinetic energy is zero. As the masses move away from the equilibrium position, the potential energy decreases and the kinetic energy increases. At the maximum displacement, the potential energy is zero and the kinetic energy is at its maximum. This relationship follows the principles of energy conservation.