Two minor issues multi quote and thread tools

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
In summary: It saves me so much time and frustration. I'm not sure why others are having issues, but it seems like it's user error rather than a system issue.In summary, there are two minor issues that have been brought up in the conversation. The first is regarding the multiquote function, where the selections remain selected after posting, leading to unintended duplicate quotes. It has been suggested to deselect the multiquotes after posting. The second issue is about thread sorting, where the default oldest-first sort makes it difficult to find the thread tools in the newest-first sort. It has been suggested to change the position of the thread tools. Additionally, there have been some technical issues with the multiquote function not working for some users, but it seems
Andre
Greg, There are two minor issues that I encounter sometimes. No big deal and totally unimportant but it might help working to perfection.

1: Understanding now how the multi quote works, I see that the multiquote selections remain selected after posting. So if I hit another quote later I get the same multi quote again (unintended). Maybe it's an idea and feasible to deselect the multiquotes after posting the quotes.

2: I strongly prefer the thread sorting in newest first, avoiding for instance missing the last post of the former page as you can always see the last posting. However, it appears that the thread tools are fixed to the posts to be on top of the page in the oldest-first default sort. So in the newest-first sort, you have to scroll down to find them somewhere at random. Would it be feasible to change that too?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
multiquote isn't working today :redface:

(the blue light comes on, but there's nobody in!)

EDIT: totally btw, why when I do a search in the Feedback forum, do I get a result headed "Forum Feedback & Announcements and child forums" ? :confused:

Andre said:
Greg, There are two minor issues that I encounter sometimes. No big deal and totally unimportant but it might help working to perfection.

1: Understanding now how the multi quote works, I see that the multiquote selections remain selected after posting. So if I hit another quote later I get the same multi quote again (unintended). Maybe it's an idea and feasible to deselect the multiquotes after posting the quotes.

2: I strongly prefer the thread sorting in newest first, avoiding for instance missing the last post of the former page as you can always see the last posting. However, it appears that the thread tools are fixed to the posts to be on top of the page in the oldest-first default sort. So in the newest-first sort, you have to scroll down to find them somewhere at random. Would it be feasible to change that too?

Thanks.

tiny-tim said:
multiquote isn't working today :redface:

(the blue light comes on, but there's nobody in!)

Multiquote is working fine for me: hit multiquote on all but the last post you want to quote (on which you press the quote button). After posting the blue button(s) turn off.

oops!

still isn't working for me :redface:

oh hold on, maybe i turned my cookies off?

oops! cookies on now, and the multiquote works fine :blushing:

(hmm … then how come everything else worked without cookies, including automatically logging me in? :confused:)

Andre said:

cristo said:
Multiquote is working fine for me: hit multiquote on all but the last post you want to quote (on which you press the quote button). After posting the blue button(s) turn off.

I've had the same problem as above. Am now trying the solution above. Also is there a maximum number of posts you can multiquote. I can't seem to get more than seven or eight, don't know exactly.

Thanks Cristo, that works fine, I've been quoting the last multiquoted entry, which seems to cause he problem.

I've never had any problems with multi quotes. I love this option.

What are "Two minor issues multi quote and thread tools"?

"Two minor issues multi quote and thread tools" refer to two features commonly found in online forums or discussion boards. The first feature, multi-quote, allows users to select and quote multiple posts in one reply. The second feature, thread tools, gives users the option to manage or modify a thread they have started or participated in.

How do I use the multi-quote feature?

To use the multi-quote feature, first select the posts you want to quote by clicking on the "multi-quote" or similar button next to each post. Once you have selected all the posts you want to quote, click on the "reply" or "quote" button. The selected posts will then be automatically inserted into your reply or quote box.

What can I do with the thread tools feature?

The thread tools feature allows users to perform various actions on a thread they have started or participated in. These actions may include editing the thread title, pinning or locking the thread, subscribing to the thread, or marking it as solved. The specific options available may vary depending on the forum or platform.

Why are these considered minor issues?

These features are often considered minor because they are not essential to the core function of the forum or discussion board. They are optional tools that can enhance the user experience, but the forum can still function without them. Additionally, these features may not be available on all forum platforms or may vary in functionality.

Are there any potential issues with using these features?

There are a few potential issues to be aware of when using these features. For multi-quote, it is important to make sure you are quoting the correct posts and not accidentally including unrelated content. As for thread tools, some actions may require moderator or admin privileges, so not all users may have access to all options. It is also important to use these features responsibly and not abuse them for spam or disruptive purposes.