Two point boundary problem - Shooting method

In summary, the goal is to find the optimal route for aerial/marine vehicles from one point to another, minimizing the final time. The initial navigation angle is unknown, and can be solved for by minimizing the final time.
RamosPinto
I'm currently trying to solve the following two-point boundary problem by means of the shooting method:

upload_2017-5-27_1-0-24.png

To clarify, I'm investigating the optimal route of aerial/marine vehicles from one point to another point, considering a flow field.
* The starting and ending locations are set as x0, y0 and xf, yf respectively.
* v is the constant speed of the vehicle relative to the field.
* A vector v=[vcx,vcy]T is used to describe the drift velocity of the field with respect to some coordinate system fixed to the ground.
* ψ is the vehicles navigation angle.
* The optimal change rate of the navigation angle has been found and is as follows:
upload_2017-5-27_1-13-35.png

There are two unknowns in this two-point boundary value problem, which are the initial navigation angle ψ(0) and tf, which is the final time.

The problem that I would like some help with is thus the two-point boundary value problem that I want to solve by means of the shooting method. I haven't found useful and applicable sources that show me how to use the shooting method for this problem. I would very much appreciate a help in the right direction, either by some explanation or my directing me to useful sources.

Kind regards,

Ramos Pinto

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is it necessary to specify the final time?

Chestermiller said:
Why is it necessary to specify the final time?
First of all, thanks for your reply, Chestermiller!

The final time is unknown and can be anything. However, the initial goal is to minimize the final time, such that the most optimal routing is obtained.
This is the performance measure I want to minimize:
upload_2017-5-27_14-6-27.png

By means of Pontryagin's minimum principle I have obtained the rate of change of the optimal navigation angle, which I stated in my initial post. The next step is now to get the initial navigation angle ψ(0) by solving the two point boundary problem.

I hope this further clarifies my problem.

Then what is being held constant, the total distance?

Chestermiller said:
Then what is being held constant, the total distance?
x0, y0, xf, yf are constant. These are the starting and ending location in a Cartesian plane.
The thrust speed of the vehicle, v, is also constant. I'm not exactly sure how to say this in English, but what I mean is that when the vehicle has a thrust speed of unit 2, and there is a flow field flowing in the opposite direction with unit 1, then the vehicle moves with a velocity of unit 1.

This is an example where you can see the starting and ending location, as well as the flow field that is present.
upload_2017-5-27_14-21-6.png

Sorry, I still don't understand. Maybe someone else can help.

Chestermiller said:
Sorry, I still don't understand. Maybe someone else can help.
No problem, thanks anyway.
Hopefully someone else can help me

RamosPinto said:
The optimal change rate of the navigation angle has been found and is as follows
I can't help you with the math, but I don't think this is the optimal solution.
Imagine the starting point on an island. There is a stream of finite width, going around this island, say between 2 circles or radii ##r_1## and ##r_2##, centered at the island. The destination is behind this stream.
I'm pretty sure that the optimal path starts at some angle "upstream" from the destination, continues without steering through the stream, and emerges just at the point nearest to the destination, where the ship continues, again without steering.
Your solution will clearly produce steering when entering and leaving the stream. Thus I have doubts about its optimality.

I'm not sure if the optimal path is always a "no steering" path, but I can't think of a counterexample. It is, however, possible that there are several "no steering" paths leading to the same destination, some longer than others.

SlowThinker said:
I can't help you with the math, but I don't think this is the optimal solution.
Imagine the starting point on an island. There is a stream of finite width, going around this island, say between 2 circles or radii ##r_1## and ##r_2##, centered at the island. The destination is behind this stream.
I'm pretty sure that the optimal path starts at some angle "upstream" from the destination, continues without steering through the stream, and emerges just at the point nearest to the destination, where the ship continues, again without steering.
Your solution will clearly produce steering when entering and leaving the stream. Thus I have doubts about its optimality.

I'm not sure if the optimal path is always a "no steering" path, but I can't think of a counterexample. It is, however, possible that there are several "no steering" paths leading to the same destination, some longer than others.
Thanks for your answer!
The optimal path will have steering, also in the stream. I could go and show you the preliminary math, but then we'd go into part of the research that isn't a problem at this point. I'm struggling with solving the two point boundary problem and would very much appreciate any help regarding this issue.

Likes Douglas Sunday

Related to Two point boundary problem - Shooting method

1. What is the "shooting method" in the context of two point boundary problems?

The shooting method is a numerical technique used to solve two point boundary problems, which involve finding a solution to a differential equation with specified boundary conditions at two different points. It involves transforming the boundary value problem into an initial value problem, which can then be solved using standard techniques such as the Euler method or the Runge-Kutta method.

2. How does the shooting method work?

The shooting method involves first guessing a value for the unknown boundary condition at one of the boundary points. This guess is then used to solve the initial value problem, and the resulting solution is compared to the desired boundary condition at the other boundary point. If the two do not match, the guess is adjusted and the process is repeated until a satisfactory solution is found.

3. What are the advantages of using the shooting method?

Compared to other numerical methods, the shooting method is relatively simple to implement and does not require knowledge of the analytical solution to the differential equation. It is also versatile and can be used to solve a wide range of two point boundary problems.

4. What are the limitations of the shooting method?

One limitation of the shooting method is that it may require a large number of iterations to find a solution, particularly for complex problems. This can make it computationally expensive and time-consuming. Additionally, the method may not work well for problems with multiple solutions or with discontinuous solutions.

5. Can the shooting method be used for higher-order differential equations?

Yes, the shooting method can be extended to higher-order differential equations by transforming the equation into a system of first-order equations. However, this can make the problem more complex and may require more iterations to find a solution.