Two resistors connected to a battery

In summary, the problem involves two resistors, a 100-ohm resistor and a 200-ohm resistor, connected in parallel to a 10.0-volt battery. The first question asks to determine the power dissipated by the 100-ohm resistor, which can be calculated using the equation P= (V^2)/R, resulting in 1 watt. The second question asks to calculate the current in the 200-ohm resistor, which can be found using Ohm's Law, V=IR. For the case where the resistors are connected in series, the series current can be calculated by dividing the battery voltage by the total series resistance, and then using the same equations to find the
jay_buckets
New user has been reminded to show their work on schoolwork questions
Homework Statement
In a circuit, a 100.-ohm resistor and a 200.-ohm resistor are connected in parallel to a 10.0-volt battery.

Determine the power dissipated by the 100.-ohm resistor.

Calculate the current in the 200.-ohm resistor.
Relevant Equations
P=VI
P=I^2R
P= V^2/R
I honestly have no idea how to do this problem whatsoever. My teacher didn't show an example like this before.

Physics news on Phys.org
jay_buckets said:
Homework Statement:: In a circuit, a 100.-ohm resistor and a 200.-ohm resistor are connected in parallel to a 10.0-volt battery.

Determine the power dissipated by the 100.-ohm resistor.

Calculate the current in the 200.-ohm resistor.
Relevant Equations:: P=VI
P=I^2R
P= V^2/R

I honestly have no idea how to do this problem whatsoever. My teacher didn't show an example like this before.
Welcome to the PF.

When the two resistors are connected in parallel to the battery, you can treat them as independent. Does that help? You have written the correct equations -- try applying them to the first question and show your work please. Thank you.

P= (10v^2)/(200.ohm) = 0.5 W. is that the correct answer for part 1?

jay_buckets said:
P= (10v^2)/(200.ohm) = 0.5 W. is that the correct answer for part 1?
I think part 1 asks about the 100 Ohm resistor, no? And good start, BTW. :smile:

ohhhh yeah it does oops. So would it be 1 W then?

Likes berkeman
Yep. How about part 2 now? :smile:

would you use 1W=(I^2)100 ohms and then 1W/100ohms= I^2?

wait no would you calculate the power dissipated by the 200 ohm resistor and then use that formula?

For part 2, I would just use the simple form of Ohm's Law, V-IR.

oh yeahhh thank you for your help!

Likes berkeman
You're welcome. And for bonus points, can you answer the same two questions for the case where the two resistors are connected in series across the 10 Ohm Volt battery? Hint -- start by calculating the series current by using the total series resistance and the battery voltage... :smile:

Last edited:
berkeman said:
across the 10 Ohm battery?
Ohms, or Volts, or both?

• Haha
Likes berkeman
Oops, thanks. Fixed it now. o0)

1. How does connecting two resistors to a battery affect the flow of electricity?

Connecting two resistors to a battery creates a series circuit, which means that the resistors are connected in a single path and the current flows through both resistors. This results in a decrease in the overall current in the circuit, as the resistance of the resistors limits the flow of electricity.

2. What is the purpose of connecting two resistors to a battery?

Connecting two resistors to a battery can serve various purposes, such as dividing the voltage in a circuit or reducing the amount of current flowing through a specific component. Additionally, it can also help in controlling the amount of power dissipated in the circuit.

3. How do the values of the resistors affect the circuit when connected to a battery?

The values of the resistors determine the amount of resistance in the circuit, which in turn affects the flow of current. Higher value resistors will result in a lower current, while lower value resistors will allow more current to flow through the circuit.

4. Can connecting two resistors to a battery cause damage to the circuit?

If the resistors are properly connected and have appropriate values, it is unlikely that connecting them to a battery will cause damage to the circuit. However, if the resistors are not connected correctly or have values that are too low, it can result in a large current flow that may damage the circuit components.

5. How can the overall resistance of a circuit be calculated when two resistors are connected to a battery?

When resistors are connected in a series circuit, their resistances add up. Therefore, the overall resistance of the circuit can be calculated by adding the individual resistances of the two resistors. This can be expressed as R_total = R1 + R2.