Two stacked blocks sliding down an inclined plane

In summary, the problem involves lowering two boxes down a ramp with a constant speed. The lower box has a mass of 48.0 kg and the upper box has a mass of 32.0 kg, with coefficients of kinetic friction between the ramp and lower box at 0.430 and static friction between the two boxes at 0.779. The force needed to accomplish this can be found using the equations F = ma and F(friction) = F(normal) * coefficient of friction. Treating the top and bottom blocks separately, the forces involved in the x and y directions can be found using free body diagrams. However, considering the two boxes as a single system may also provide a solution.
Kurt Madland

Homework Statement

"You are lowing two boxes, one on top of the other, down a ramp. Both boxes move together at a constant speed. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the ramp and the lower box is 0.430, and the coefficient of static friction between the two boxes is 0.779. The lower box has mass 48.0 kg, the upper box has mass 32.0 kg. What force do you need to exert to accomplish this?"

Here is the picture provided: http://i.imgur.com/rL9pxAo.jpg

Homework Equations

F = ma, F(friction) = F(normal) * coefficient of friction

The Attempt at a Solution

I[/B] found the angle from the horizontal up to be 27.25 degrees. Next I made free body diagrams for both blocks with the x-axis being aligned with the ramp.

Lower Block:
X: (48)(9.8)sin(27.25) = F(tension from me) + F(friction, bottom)
Y: (48)(9.8)cos(27.25) + F(from top block) = F(normal from ramp)

Top Block:
X: (32)(9.8)sin(27.25) = F(friction, top)
Y: (32)(98)cos(27.25) = F(normal from lower box)

Now I am not sure how to accomplish this. I tried to find the normal force that the top box experiences from the lower box, and equate this with the downward force that the lower box experiences. Using that downward force and the downward component of weight, I found what I thought to be a normal force. I then multiplied that by 0.430, the coefficient of kinetic friction, and said that that frictional force summed with the tension would be equal to the x component of the lower boxes weight. However, that didn't seem to work. I've arrived at several wrong answers. 121 N, 299 N, 59.97 N, and 514 N all by trying slightly different things. None worked. I only have one attempt left at the problem online and am in serious need of some help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kurt Madland said:
X: (48)(9.8)sin(27.25) = F(tension from me) + F(friction, bottom)
You are here missing the Force on the lower block from the top block, which will have a component both in the x and y directions.

Question: Why do you need to treat the top and bottom block separately? Would you gain something by considering it a single system?

1. What is the acceleration of the blocks?

The acceleration of the blocks can be calculated using the formula a = g*sin(theta), where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and theta is the angle of the inclined plane.

2. How does the mass of the blocks affect their acceleration?

The mass of the blocks does not affect their acceleration on an inclined plane, as long as the mass is evenly distributed and there is no external force acting on the blocks. This is due to the fact that the acceleration of the blocks is determined by the angle of the inclined plane and the acceleration due to gravity, which are both constant values.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of the inclined plane and the speed of the blocks?

The greater the angle of the inclined plane, the faster the blocks will slide down. This is because a steeper angle increases the component of the force of gravity that is acting parallel to the plane, resulting in a greater acceleration and therefore a higher speed.

4. How does friction affect the motion of the blocks?

Friction can act as a resisting force on the blocks, slowing down their motion. The amount of friction depends on the surfaces of the blocks and the inclined plane, as well as the force of gravity acting on the blocks. In some cases, friction can prevent the blocks from sliding down the inclined plane altogether.

5. Is the motion of the blocks considered to be linear?

No, the motion of the blocks is not considered to be linear because the blocks are moving along a curved path due to the inclined plane. However, if the angle of the inclined plane is small, the motion can be approximated as linear using the small angle approximation.