What Excited State Was the Two-Times Ionized Lithium Initially In?

• Thread starter skrat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lithium
In summary, two times ionized Lithium emits two photons with 72.91 nm and 13.5 nm energy levels, respectively. The initial excited state is the one with the 13.5 nm energy level.
skrat

Homework Statement

Two times ionized Lithium (Z=3) in excited states emits two photons, one with ##\lambda _1=72.91 nm## and another one with ##\lambda _2=13.5 nm##.
In which excited state was originally the ion?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since two times ionized Lithium has only one electron I assume I can say that the energies of eigenstates are calculated as ##E_n=\frac{R_y}{n^2}##.

I somehow imagined that I have to sum the energy of photons and equal that with the expression above.

##\frac{hc}{\lambda _1}+\frac{hc}{\lambda _2}+R_y=R_y(1-\frac{1}{n^2})##

But this gives me some weird result...

What do I have to do? :/

Physics news on Phys.org
skrat said:
Since two times ionized Lithium has only one electron I assume I can say that the energies of eigenstates are calculated as ##E_n=\frac{R_y}{n^2}##.

I somehow imagined that I have to sum the energy of photons and equal that with the expression above.
That's not correct. The energy of one photon already corresponds to a transition between two levels: the difference between the initial excited state and the final state.

Start again from the equation for the energy, but consider one transition at a time. After that you will have to combine both transitions to get the desired solution.

Than first transition is:

##\frac{hc}{\lambda _1}=R_y(\frac{1}{(n')^2}-\frac{1}{(n)^2})##

and second

##\frac{hc}{\lambda _2}=R_y(1-\frac{1}{(n')^2})##

I hope that's exactly what you had in mind.

However, to get rid of ##(n')^2## I woud simply sum the both equation.

##\frac{hc}{\lambda _2}+\frac{hc}{\lambda _1}=R_y(1-\frac{1}{n^2})##

skrat said:
##\frac{hc}{\lambda _2}+\frac{hc}{\lambda _1}=R_y(1-\frac{1}{n^2})##
That looks ok. What do you get when you try to solve this for ##n##?

(Note: the problem is not clearly stated, and I misread it the first time. This explains why I might have made you rederive the equation you had at the beginning, although now without the extra ##R_y##.)

The next part confuses me the most...

##n^2=\left [1-\frac{hc}{R_y}(\frac{1}{\lambda _2}+\frac{1}{\lambda _1}) \right ]^{-1}##

which gives me ##n=0.378##

skrat said:
The next part confuses me the most...

##n^2=\left [1-\frac{hc}{R_y}(\frac{1}{\lambda _2}+\frac{1}{\lambda _1}) \right ]^{-1}##

which gives me ##n=0.378##

You're using the wrong Rydberg constant. It has to be scaled for the charge of the nucleus.

DrClaude said:
You're using the wrong Rydberg constant. It has to be scaled for the charge of the nucleus.

##R_y=13.6 eV##

How do I do that?

Lithum has 3 nucleus is than the right Rydberg constant multiplied by 3?

skrat said:
##R_y=13.6 eV##

How do I do that?

Lithum has 3 nucleus is than the right Rydberg constant multiplied by 3?

Do you have the equation for the energy levels of hydrogenic atoms? See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen-like_atom

Ok, that's good to now.

So using ##Z^2R_y## gives me ##n=3##.

Thank you!

What is two times ionized Lithium?

Two times ionized Lithium, also known as Li++ or Li2+, is a Lithium atom that has lost two of its electrons. This results in a positive charge of +2 on the atom.

What is the electron configuration of two times ionized Lithium?

The electron configuration of two times ionized Lithium is [He]. This means that it has the same electron configuration as Helium, with two electrons in its first energy level.

What are the properties of two times ionized Lithium?

Two times ionized Lithium is a highly reactive and unstable element. It has a high melting and boiling point, and is a strong reducing agent. It can also easily form compounds with other elements.

How is two times ionized Lithium created?

Two times ionized Lithium can be created through various methods, such as heating Lithium metal in a vacuum, exposing it to high energy particles, or passing an electric current through a Lithium-containing liquid or gas.

What is the significance of two times ionized Lithium in science?

Two times ionized Lithium has various important applications in science, such as in nuclear fusion reactions, as a catalyst in organic reactions, and in the production of batteries and electronic devices. It is also used in research and development of new materials and technologies.