Two vector operations and simple expressions

In summary, vector operations involve manipulating mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. Two common operations are vector addition, which involves combining two vectors to create a new vector, and scalar multiplication, which involves multiplying a vector by a scalar quantity to change its magnitude. Simple expressions involving vectors can also be simplified using mathematical rules, such as the distributive property. These operations are essential in various fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics.
JiWang
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
TL;DR Summary: My problems comes to a vector expression which needs to be simplified

I got an expression
piijksk,lul,j
Here s and u are two vectors. What will be the vector expression of this vector p with curl s, curl u, and other operations?

Physics news on Phys.org
BvU said:
Hello @JiWang ,
:welcome: ##\qquad## !​

Please post the complete problem statement; see https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/homework-help-guidelines-for-students-and-helpers.686781/

Also, I don't see any vectors on the righthand side in piijksklulj

##\ ##
I thought that too, but on closer inspection there are commas between the subscripts in the OP. Much clearer in LaTeX: ##s_{k,l}=\partial_ls_k## and similarly ##u##. @JiWang, you should also read the LaTeX Guide.

Likes BvU
JiWang said:
TL;DR Summary: My problems comes to a vector expression which needs to be simplified

I got an expression
piijksk,lul,j
Here s and u are two vectors. What will be the vector expression of this vector p with curl s, curl u, and other operations?

Use [tex]
(\partial_j u_l) (\partial_l s_k) = \partial_j ( u_l \partial_l s_k) - u_l \partial_j \partial_l s_k.[/tex] Then you can write your expression as [tex]
\mathbf{p} = \nabla \times (\mathbf{u} \cdot \nabla \mathbf{s}) - \mathbf{u} \cdot \nabla ( \nabla \times \mathbf{s}).[/tex]

Likes JiWang
Can you expand them to single operations? Thanks.

JiWang said:
Can you expand them to single operations? Thanks.
See the homework guidelines. @pasmith has already done more than enough of your homework!

1. What are vector operations?

Vector operations refer to mathematical operations that are performed on vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. The most common vector operations are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. How are vector operations different from scalar operations?

Scalar operations involve quantities that have only magnitude, while vector operations involve quantities that have both magnitude and direction. Scalar operations can be performed using basic arithmetic, while vector operations require specific mathematical rules and formulas.

3. What are some simple expressions involving vector operations?

Some simple expressions involving vector operations include calculating the magnitude and direction of a vector, adding and subtracting vectors, and multiplying a vector by a scalar quantity.

4. What is the significance of vector operations in science?

Vector operations are essential in science because they allow us to accurately describe and analyze physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as velocity, force, and acceleration. They are also used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and computer science.

5. How can I apply vector operations in real-world scenarios?

Vector operations have many real-world applications, such as in navigation systems, motion analysis, and engineering designs. For example, vector addition can be used to determine the resulting velocity of an object moving in multiple directions, and vector multiplication can be used to calculate the force required to move an object in a specific direction.