Type of Joints in portal frame

In summary: However, in some cases, the beam can be pinned at the column but must be fixed at the base for stability.
kitzlongg
Homework Statement
What's the type of connection at beam to column connection
Relevant Equations
Pinned or fixed?
I was told that for building portal frame, the beam to column connection must be rigid , which means, it has to be fixed , while the column to foundation connection can be either fixed or pinned, am I right ? I couldn't find anything about this online . Pls help

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes , correct on both counts. The beam to column connection is fixed, whereas the column base support can be fixed or pinned. If pinned at the base, the frame is stable in 2D, but in 3D, the Frame must be longitudinally braced or guyed.

There are other frames where the beam is pinned to the column, but these frames must be fixed at the base where each column shares half of the transverse load, but these frames are not called ‘portal’ frames and are weaker and subject to large deflections unless they are cross braced.

Last edited:
Likes kitzlongg
PhanthomJay said:
Yes , correct on both counts. The beam to column connection is fixed, whereas the column base support can be fixed or pinned. If pinned at the base, the frame is stable in 2D, but in 3D, the Frame must be longitudinally braced or guyed.

There are other frames where the beam is pinned to the column, but these frames must be fixed at the base where each column shares half of the transverse load, but these frames are not called ‘portal’ frames and are weaker and subject to large deflections unless they are cross braced.
So, for portal frame, the beam to column connection must be fixed , am i right ?

Yes, by strict definition of a portal frame.

Likes kitzlongg
[Mentor Note: a new discussion has been moved from this thread to the one listed below]

hellophysics said:
this is probably elementary: Is it possible to decide the flexibility of a joint between gluelam beam and reinforced concrete column? if I decide it to be flexible, can it still the corner frame take bending moments? or then it behaves as a simply supported beam?
Lnewqban said:
I recommend you to open a new one in order to get attention from a greater number of members, who can discuss details with you.
Perhaps, @berkeman can help with openining a new thread.

New thread spun off about the new question to the ME forum here: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...of-an-avalanche-protection-structure.1062103/

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is a portal frame?

A portal frame is a structural system commonly used in building construction. It consists of vertical columns and horizontal beams connected by rigid joints, forming a rectangular or square frame.

2. What are the types of joints used in a portal frame?

The types of joints used in a portal frame are pinned, fixed, and semi-rigid. Pinned joints allow for rotation at the connection, fixed joints do not allow for any movement, and semi-rigid joints allow for some rotation and bending.

3. What are the advantages of using a portal frame?

Portal frames are advantageous because they are simple and cost-effective to construct, provide large open spaces for flexible use, and have high strength and stability.

4. What factors influence the type of joint used in a portal frame?

The factors that influence the type of joint used in a portal frame include the span of the frame, the load it needs to support, the desired level of rigidity, and the type of construction materials being used.

5. How are portal frames analyzed and designed?

Portal frames are analyzed and designed using structural engineering principles and software. The loads and forces acting on the frame are calculated, and the frame's dimensions, materials, and joint types are chosen to ensure it can withstand the expected loads and remain stable.