Shear and Moment diagram for frame question

In summary, the conversation is about drawing shear and moment diagrams for a frame with pin connections at A, C, and D and a fixed joint at B. The person is seeking help with determining the reactions at A and D to keep the frame in equilibrium. They have initially calculated the reactions as 101 KN up and 90 KN to the right at A, and -11 KN downwards at D, but are unsure if these values are correct. They are advised to check their calculations and send them for review before proceeding with drawing the diagrams.
getbuckets68
Draw the shear and moment diagrams for each of the three members of the frame. Assume the frame is pin connected at A, C, and D and there is a fixed joint at B.

PWuTxuL.jpg

Please i need help with this .. would be great if anyone can help

Physics news on Phys.org
First, determine the reactions at A and D to keep the frame in equilibrium.

on A i got 101 KN up and 90 KN to right, at D i got -11 Kn , i am not sure if these are right

Last edited:
Well, that's easy to check.

Take your reactions an see if they equations of equilibrium are satisfied.

If not, rinse and repeat.

think i got the reactions correct but I am not sure bout my shear diagram doesn't look right

Well, I'm not sure either. You'll have to post it.

ok here is what I've drawn so far

Attachments

• IMG_20130922_153514.jpg
    IMG_20130922_153514.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 1,896
It's kinda blurry - can't make out any details at all.

dw about the pic uptop just the shear diagram..does the shape look right

How do you know the reactions are right? There is no point drawing the moment and shear diagrams if the reactions are not right. The reactions are checkable. So please send your calcs.

i already sent my calculations. on reaction A i got 101 KN up and 90 KN to right, on reaction D i got -11 Kn downwards, i am going with these thanks for your help

I haven't seen calcs for reactions, which I believe are self-evidently not correct. (For example, what is the bending moment at point C? I am sure you would say 'zero' because of the hinge there, but have you checked by taking the algebraic sum of moments on each side of C?)

yes i am re doing the calculations now.. i will take a section at pin C and start summing from there

Related to Shear and Moment diagram for frame question

1. What is a shear and moment diagram for a frame?

A shear and moment diagram for a frame is a graphical representation of the internal forces and moments acting on the different members of a structural frame. It shows the distribution and magnitude of shear forces and bending moments along the length of the frame.

2. How is a shear and moment diagram calculated?

A shear and moment diagram is calculated by analyzing the external forces acting on the frame and using equations of equilibrium to determine the internal forces and moments. This involves breaking the frame into smaller sections and applying the equations of equilibrium to each section.

3. What is the significance of a shear and moment diagram?

A shear and moment diagram is important in structural analysis as it allows engineers to determine the maximum internal forces and moments that a frame can withstand before failure. This information is crucial in designing safe and efficient structures.

4. What are some common features of a shear and moment diagram for a frame?

Some common features of a shear and moment diagram include a positive or negative shear force and bending moment at various points along the frame, maximum and minimum values of these forces, and points of zero shear and moment.

5. How can a shear and moment diagram be used in design?

A shear and moment diagram is an important tool in design as it helps engineers determine the size and shape of structural members needed to withstand the internal forces and moments acting on the frame. It also aids in identifying potential weak points in the structure that may need reinforcement.