U.S. Supreme Court Hears Monsanto Seed Patent Case

• News
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Patent Seed
In summary, the U.S. Supreme Court recently heard a case involving the patent rights of agricultural giant Monsanto over their genetically modified seeds. The case, Bowman v. Monsanto Co., centers around an Indiana farmer's use of patented Roundup Ready soybean seeds purchased from a grain elevator, rather than directly from the company. The court must determine if the doctrine of patent exhaustion applies, which states that once a patented item is sold, the patent holder no longer has control over it. The outcome of this case could have far-reaching implications for the agricultural industry and the protection of intellectual property rights.
ImaLooser said:
I'm not willing to look at the case all that closely, but it seems to me that GMOs are a new type of invention and that the legislature should deal with it by passing a law that covers it.
Well, since I generally think the courts have gotten pretty activist liberal, I tend to think a decision with a conservative slant must have been pretty ironclad to get through!

Regardless, it is certainly the job of the courts to decide if a law applies to a situation that may not have exactly existed when the law was crafted. But let me ask you this: if the court decides against Monsanto here, what makes you think the legislature wouldn't immediately plug that hole in their patent protection? Congress has shown a willingness to help protect Monsanto's patents in the past.
I think the legislature is the appropriate place to trade off economic interests.
While I agree, I think you are creating a false dichotomy, saying that Monsanto's gain is the farmers' loss. Again, GM seeds are the farmers' gains as well. In this particular case, the farmer was clearly getting an economic benefit that he didn't pay for.
This finding that a seed is a "copy of an invention" seems dubious to me, as does Monsanto's assertion that they can sell the seeds with restrictions on their use. Since when do they get to tell me how I can use their invention? I never heard of such a thing...
Er, since always? I guess you never read the licensing agreements on the software you install, do you...?

Physics news on Phys.org
edward said:
Or did the DOJ presume that DuPont would continue it's own case and decided to get government out of it. It is hard to tell because the silence about the situation was very unusual.

Right. The Department of Justice works for us. What's with the silence? I want to know what they are doing. I pay them.

russ_watters said:
if the court decides against Monsanto here, what makes you think the legislature wouldn't immediately plug that hole in their patent

They might. But it would be an open process by accountable representatives. Popular opinion would play a role, as it should.

It seems that there is little interest in discussing the thread topic. There have been more off topic posts than on topic. Thread closed.