UCLA aerospace or EngSci at UofT?

In summary, the individual has been accepted into both the University of Toronto and UCLA and is considering a career in aerospace engineering. They are having trouble deciding between the two programs and have done research on both. The University of Toronto is known for having a rigorous engineering science program, while UCLA is not as well-known for its engineering program. The individual is also considering the location and tuition differences between the two schools. They are also considering the option of getting an undergraduate degree in Canada and a masters in the US. Others have recommended the engineering science program at the University of Toronto, though it is known to be challenging. The aerospace option within the program is also highly regarded. The individual cannot comment on the aerospace program at UCLA but notes that the tuition
FakeGeek
I got accepted into both programs and I'm thinking about pursuing a career in aerospace engineering in the future. Right now I'm having trouble deciding between these 2 programs. I have done some research online myself and here is what I come up with right now

Academics:
University of Toronto is the best in Canada and engineering science is one of the hardest engineering programs in North America.
UCLA is known for arts and humanities but rarely do people mention its engineering. Also I heard a lot about how UCLA has a lesser academic atmosphere(party school?).

LA - big city, lots of opportunities, some aerospace companies around(Lockheed Martin)
Toronto - less opportunities than LA

Tuition:
UofT - 10k-20k
UCLA - 50k-60k...(paying 3-5 times more tuition is not that attractive...but i guess as long as i can get a part-time it should be fine)

Program:
Engineering science - from what i heard, it's more focused on theories and research. The program itself is a huge challenge(lots drop out after 1st/2nd year, some students complain about the lower than average GPAs, some students were of the opinion that most employers don't even know what EngSci is). But it does rank as one of the best programs in the world.

UCLA Aerospace - Don’t know much about it

Another option for me is to get my undergrad degree in Canada and go to US for masters.
Can anyone comment on these two programs? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say EngSci, however, it is BRUTAL--be prepared. Also, there is an Aerospace option in EngSci, not to mention the fact that there are many Aerospace companies in Canada--MANY.

I can vouch for EngSci. I am currently in my third year of EngSci in the physics option. My cousin is also a graduate of the aerospace option, and he is currently pursuing his masters at the University of Toronto Institute for Aerospace Studies:

http://www.utias.utoronto.ca/site4.aspx

EngSci is a tough program but I do not think that it is as tough as a lot of people make it out to be. People say that a lot of people drop out of the program but that is not necessarily true. Most people that leave the program switch out of it into another engineering stream such as Civil or ECE simply because they realized that they do not want to do the general first two years that EngSci offers.

EngSci definitely will challenge you, but that is a good thing.

From what I've heard, the aerospace option is relatively difficult and a lot of work. If you know you want to go into aerospace then I definitely recommend it.

I can't comment on UCLA as I have no idea. I can say however, that unless you are strapped with cash, the tuition difference is a pretty big difference. In my opinion, if you are paying 3x more, you should get 3x the education.

Lastly, I know a few people who went into EngSci completely set on doing the aerospace option but ended up switching their goals to another stream. One friend of mine actually dropped into the ECE stream as he loved the ECE courses so much. That is one nice thing about EngSci, is that if you hate it, you can drop into any of the other engineering streams no problem.

1. What is the difference between UCLA aerospace and EngSci at UofT?

UCLA aerospace is a specialized program focused on the field of aerospace engineering, while EngSci at UofT is an interdisciplinary program that combines principles of engineering and applied science. EngSci at UofT also offers several different majors, including aerospace engineering, whereas UCLA aerospace is a standalone program.

2. What are the job prospects for graduates of UCLA aerospace or EngSci at UofT?

Both programs offer excellent job prospects for graduates. UCLA aerospace graduates can pursue careers in the aerospace industry, working for companies such as Boeing or NASA. EngSci graduates from UofT have a wide range of career options, including roles in research and development, consulting, and management in various industries.

3. How competitive are admission requirements for UCLA aerospace and EngSci at UofT?

Both programs are highly selective and have competitive admission requirements. UCLA aerospace has an acceptance rate of around 20%, while EngSci at UofT has an acceptance rate of around 7%. Both programs require strong academic performance, particularly in math and science courses.

4. What kind of research opportunities are available for students in UCLA aerospace and EngSci at UofT?

Both programs offer numerous research opportunities for students, allowing them to work closely with faculty members on cutting-edge projects. UCLA aerospace has partnerships with renowned research institutions such as the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, while EngSci at UofT has a strong research focus and offers opportunities to work on various projects across different disciplines.

5. Can students in UCLA aerospace or EngSci at UofT participate in internships or co-op programs?

Yes, both programs offer opportunities for students to gain practical experience through internships or co-op programs. UCLA aerospace has partnerships with industry leaders, providing students with a chance to work on real-world projects. EngSci at UofT also has a mandatory 12-16 month internship or co-op component, allowing students to gain valuable work experience before graduation.