UCSC for Physics Undergraduate?

In summary, the conversation is about a community college transfer student who has been admitted to UCSC for physics as a junior. They are wondering about the reputation of the program and if it would be a good choice for their future academic goals, specifically in regards to graduate school and research opportunities. Another person in the conversation mentions UCSC's strength in astrophysics and particle physics, and the potential for success in the program leading to opportunities at prestigious institutions. The original student is encouraged by this information.
ohnoesawolf
Hello all,

I'm a community college transfer student who was recently admitted to UCSC for physics as a junior. I've heard good but very few things about their program and was just wondering if there is any clout behind that. I realize most students want to go to Cal, UCLA, or UCSB for physics but does UCSC have anything to offer?

I also found this undergraduate handbook on their webpage: http://physics.ucsc.edu/undergrad/ughandbook09-10.pdf"

Any insight into this would be excellent. I'd like to continue on to graduate school after I complete my bachelor's degree. How well do you think their program would set me up to get into something like MIT or Caltech?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any idea on what kind of research you want to do? For astrophysics ucsc might be one of top 5 places worlwide...

I'm very interested in particle and I'm very interested astro. From what I've been reading about their program, it seems like they're really great for both.

It fits very well your interests. If you are into particle stuff Michael Dine, Howard Haber and Tom Banks are there. If you go to ucsc and do really well in courses and find a nice research project your chances of getting to any place for a phd will be good (asumming you do a good gre and all that, but that is not dependent on your choice of where to do the undergrad).

Awesome, this was the exact encouragement I was looking for. Thanks!

Related to UCSC for Physics Undergraduate?

1. What is the acceptance rate for the physics undergraduate program at UCSC?

The acceptance rate for the physics undergraduate program at UCSC varies from year to year, but it typically ranges from 25-30%. This means that for every 100 applicants, about 25-30 students are admitted into the program.

2. Can students do research as undergraduates at UCSC for physics?

Yes, there are opportunities for undergraduate students to participate in research at UCSC for physics. Students can work with faculty members on their research projects or participate in research internships through the physics department.

3. What kind of career opportunities are available for physics undergraduates from UCSC?

Physics undergraduate students from UCSC have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. Some choose to pursue graduate studies in physics or a related field, while others enter the workforce in fields such as engineering, data analysis, or education.

4. Are there any special programs or resources for physics undergraduates at UCSC?

Yes, UCSC offers several resources and programs for physics undergraduates. These include the Physics Learning Center, where students can receive tutoring and academic support, as well as the Physics Undergraduate Research Institute, which provides students with opportunities to collaborate on cutting-edge research projects.

5. What sets the physics undergraduate program at UCSC apart from other universities?

One of the unique aspects of the physics undergraduate program at UCSC is its focus on interdisciplinary and hands-on learning. Students have the opportunity to take courses in other disciplines, such as astronomy, engineering, and computer science, and participate in research projects that integrate multiple fields of study.