UFOs: Generals, Pilots and Government Officials Go On the Record

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Government
In summary: Leslie Kean has written the book to prove them right. She takes us on a compelling journey from the earliest reports of unidentified flying objects to the most recent revelations, and she presents the evidence in an intelligent, well-organized, and convincing manner. I highly recommend UFOs to anyone with an interest in this complex and controversial topic.” —Donald E. Keyhoe, Ph.D., Former Director, USAF Scientific Advisory Committee In summary, Leslie Kean's new book investigates the phenomenon of UFOs and presents evidence that suggests the US government is aware of them and has been involved in some way.
Physics-Learner said:
i have watched the videos, as presented. there may only be about 20 or so that have been presented on the videos, but that is still a pretty large number, for what we are talking about.

I think he claims a total of about 400... or has he lost 380 of them? As a rule I don't keep up with Greer.

i recall that halt - i do not think he was saying that on the videos. these people are directly stating that these are ets, no ifs ands or buts.

Not Halt. There were other personnel involved that made more dramatic claims, but obviously Halt isn't sold. And in his report he clearly states that he never saw the alleged craft on the ground. He does confirm the claims about the investigation that followed wrt Jim Penniston's claims. However, he also completely dismisses the claims made by another one of these people.

a few have even claimed to have had direct contact with an alien that was held captive.

Yes, but those stories are few and far between as compared to compelling UFO [not necessarily ET] encounters. One of the things that impresses me most is the bulk of compelling reports in this respect; going back perhaps for centures. A few outliers don't impress me. Also, much of the legend about captured aliens or alien technology, is based on hearsay. For example, Ed Mitchell makes some pretty dramatic claims, but even he claims no direct [first-hand] knowledge.

at this point, they don't need greer to testify before congress - so i simply don't buy that they could be simply using greer for a platform to tell their stories.

Greer assembled this group with the alleged intention of gaining access to a Congressional hearing. So one can hardly dismiss this as relevant. No doubt they are now making money by lecturing at Greers conferences, so maybe its enough to be worth the trouble. I have noted over the years that even if a claim is legitimate, it could eventually degenerate into a business; even a scam. Anyone who has done or experienced something unusual is subject to this effect. For example, the Chilean miners are pretty much set for life.

if it is not true, there is some sort of agenda. greer does charge like about $900 or so, if i recall, for joining in on the "contact an alien" sessions.

Holy cow! Greer really has gone completely over the edge. This sounds to me like nothing but a scam. In fact, I would wager good money on that. I had no idea things had gotten so out of hand. It sounds like he might be making a lot more money doing this than he would as an ER doc.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
tuition is $995. it looks like he does about 9 a year. don't know how many people, on the average, are in any particular group. but even if you only got 20 people, that is $20,000 in tuition.

but it is not as if it is easy to be accepted. if you read the link, one has to study all 3 of greer's books, practice meditation 4 times each, and then study the training kit. seems to me that if you just wanted to make some bucks, it would be much better not to have so many qualifications - LOL.

http://www.cseti.org/programs/Trainings.htm

it may certainly be worth their trouble, if it is a scam. i don't think all these military guys would go along with greer, if they knew greer was lying, yet they were telling the truth. i just don't buy that. they are all in it, either one way or the other.

yea, greer claims about 400. and while the videos are a couple hours long, he also claims to have i think hundreds of hours of video all together. which is not surprising if he has 400 military type people. not all are military. some are pilots, etc.

hi ivan,

i did not make myself clear. i don't think halt was saying that he thought it was a terrestial - is what i meant to say. i would have to review it.

below is a link for some cseti videos on youtube. the main one is 2 hours long, part 1 of a 4-hour presentation. it is worth the viewing, imo - especially since you are so much into the subject of ufos, already.

http://www.youtube.com/csetiweb

What kills me about the "using alien technology" bit is that it's somehow assumed we'd have manufacturing or material to reverse engineer something made by an ET in an another star system. People seem to think you just snag yourself a saucer, take out the engine, stick it in a F-22 Raptor and suddenly we have a space-plane.

I think the alien tech claims you hear are never backed up, but still believed because a lot of modern technology seems pretty damned weird to some people. I think people feel this has to be fueled by something "otherworldly"... the irony being the most otherworldly thing at play was QM. :tongue:

One word about "these military guys"... sometimes cops, soldiers, boxers and MMA fighters, high level athletes, are VERY superstitious and prone to being scammed as they look for "Edges". You can be a person on a position of authority or a group normally associated with rational behaviour and still be a part of this.

nismaratwork said:
What kills me about the "using alien technology" bit is that it's somehow assumed we'd have manufacturing or material to reverse engineer something made by an ET in an another star system. People seem to think you just snag yourself a saucer, take out the engine, stick it in a F-22 Raptor and suddenly we have a space-plane.

I think the alien tech claims you hear are never backed up, but still believed because a lot of modern technology seems pretty damned weird to some people. I think people feel this has to be fueled by something "otherworldly"... the irony being the most otherworldly thing at play was QM. :tongue:

Awesome point, Nismar. Next time a member of the "reverse engineering alien tech" crowd gets a chance, pry open a computer processor and spend some time reverse engineering it. You'll find it surprisingly diffic-- impossible.

One word about "these military guys"... sometimes cops, soldiers, boxers and MMA fighters, high level athletes, are VERY superstitious and prone to being scammed as they look for "Edges". You can be a person on a position of authority or a group normally associated with rational behaviour and still be a part of this.

Airline pilots, infantry, and athletes are three groups that I know this to be true of personally. Doesn't mean all members of the group are. But: "if at least one, then possibly more."

Physics-Learner said:
hi ivan,

i did not make myself clear. i don't think halt was saying that he thought it was a terrestial - is what i meant to say. i would have to review it.

I'm tellling you what Halt told me personally.

I would add that this thread is not about Greer's claims. By pointing to perhaps one of the least credible people in the UFO limelight, you discredit the entire subject.

Ivan Seeking said:
I'm tellling you what Halt told me personally.

and i am telling you what halt is saying, in public, to press conferences.

he says that in his personal opinion, it was either from another dimension, or extra terrestial.

Last edited by a moderator:
this thread is titled generals, pilots and government officials, etc.

well there are 400 of these people associated with greer, and these public press conferences.

you need to watch the video and hear what they are all saying.

i think you will get a better understanding why i am saying that all these people are aligned with greer.

i don't care what greer's reputation is. there are all sorts of high level people on his bandwagon, talking about personal events that they have witnessed, most of them claiming that it was not from earth.

i doubt that you could find anything about ufos as compelling as this host of high level people making their claims.

i had totally dismissed ufos as bunk, and individuals wanting attention.

i don't know what this whole situation is about (all these high level guys coming forward). they may be lying as part of an agenda. but i can't simply dismiss it as bunk, any more.

Physics-Learner said:
this thread is titled generals, pilots and government officials, etc.

well there are 400 of these people associated with greer, and these public press conferences.

you need to watch the video and hear what they are all saying.

i think you will get a better understanding why i am saying that all these people are aligned with greer.

i don't care what greer's reputation is. there are all sorts of high level people on his bandwagon, talking about personal events that they have witnessed, most of them claiming that it was not from earth.

i doubt that you could find anything about ufos as compelling as this host of high level people making their claims.

i had totally dismissed ufos as bunk, and individuals wanting attention.

i don't know what this whole situation is about (all these high level guys coming forward). they may be lying as part of an agenda. but i can't simply dismiss it as bunk, any more.

This post is very fragmented, but I'm going to take a whack at it anyway.

Firstly, the thread title is the title of a book. I've now finished it. Ivan started the thread for the purpose of discussing it. We've all gone a bit off topic since then. The fact that you're seemingly unaware of this means that you probably haven't read the first post.

Next, it is my opinion that you should review your reliance on generic authorities. This same idea has been discussed for quite a while. In fact, if you review the section of this thread devoted to the Iranian UFO incident, you'll find very good reasons to IGNORE authority figures and their claims of UFOs.

(Disclaimer: opinionated statements ahead!)Next, you provide a link to a YouTube video of this group: (http://www.torontosun.com/news/columnists/thane_burnett/2010/10/28/15866311.html). This does NOT help your case. In fact, it turned out to be a sad moment for most of the individuals involved. Again, all previously discussed.

You've created a false dichotomy for yourself: these folks are either lying, or right. in actuality, the most common scenario is that people get confused. Even generals, and technicians, and auto mechanics, and pilots, and break dancers, and rock stars, and homeless people, and programmers, and coffee shop owners, and insurance adjusters, and firefighters, and retail salesmen, and police officers, and professional UFO replica builders get confused.

REALLY!

Unfortunately, the person who responded to your post as already gone through that youthful "everything is a conspiracy" phase and has grown up cynical. You've cited a group of genuinely confused individuals. And before you say: "but surely you can't discount ALL of them" let me say "and you can discount ALL of them."

A person only needs to be confused once to become convinced. And once two individuals are convinced, they can reinforce each others ideas build new biases and go on to shape the ideas of other men and women. The human brain is not a bastion of truth and fact; quite the opposite.

i don't know why you would consider it to be fragmented. seems right down to the point, which you seemed to get.

and i will stick to my guns. you can't simply discount all of these people as being confused.

they are all claiming to have seen significant events. some are even claiming to have seen aliens.

sorry, but your logic doesn't wash. if we were talking a handful, that is one thing. we are talking several hundred.

try asking a statistician what he thinks of those odds ? like a gazillion to one, my favor.

Physics-Learner said:
i don't know why you would consider it to be fragmented. seems right down to the point, which you seemed to get.

Fair enough.

and i will stick to my guns. you can't simply discount all of these people as being confused.

But what if they are? It's a very real possibility. So what you've done is simply discount one of many possible explanations. It's not a particularly clever way to arrive at a reasonable conclusion.

they are all claiming to have seen significant events. some are even claiming to have seen aliens.

Imagine, if you will, that ETs have never visited Earth (it's a thought experiment), however, a general claimed to have seen aliens. How would you interpret this information? I am always ready to change my mind when presented with evidence. Eye witness accounts are hardly evidence.

sorry, but your logic doesn't wash. if we were talking a handful, that is one thing. we are talking several hundred.

I present to you http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_of_the_Sun" . Here, upwards of 30,000 people were all confused at once. Surely, at least a few hundred of them were very clever people (perhaps they were pilots, military officials, doctors, or break dancers). By your rules, we cannot discount their observations because there were so many of them.

However, do you find it likely that the entire solar system was torn apart, the Earth was sent hurtling towards the sun, and only 30,000 people in Portugal knew about it? I have given you a clear example where 30,000 people were all confused about a single event. I suggest you study the case carefully.

try asking a statistician what he thinks of those odds ? like a gazillion to one, my favor.

You might as well ask a pastry chef since a statistician has no pull here. You haven't collected any data yet, you've made assertions based on the assertions of others.

one general claiming to have seen anything might be barely enough to grab my attention, no more.

i don't get why you still hang onto your fatima example. i don't care if it was 30 million people. it was ONE EVENT.

in our case, we are talking about several hundred SEPARATE events, all being reported by military, pilots, etc.

the probability of all of these events witnessed by several hundred different people being illusions is about as close to nil as you can get.

your unwillingness to see that demonstrates a bias, to me.

ivan has an unwillingness, because he has a bias against greer.

all of the events, when combined, is by far the most significant thing anyone is going to point to, regarding aliens actually existing. it got my attention, when all of these singular sightings did not get my attention. i always considered the sightings to be people wanting attention.

if there is an agenda, then all several hundred of these events is easily explained. they are lying, for some reason unknown to us. and i am actually leaning towards it not being true, from various email contacts that i have had.

(I edited your posts in my quotes for other to follow easier. It's not meant as an insult, but I sometimes have a hard time following, so I know this helps me. If you're unhappy with it, I can remove your quotes at your request.)

Physics-Learner said:
I don't understand why you rely so heavily on your example involving Fatima. I don't care if it was 30 million people; it was ONE EVENT.

In this case, we are talking about several hundred separate events; all of which are being reported by military officials, pilots, etc..

I'm not sure how this increases the likelihood that this isn't just repeated cases of confusion or misidentification. You keep skipping a middle step in the logic. In fact, the way I see it is: if only one person sees it, it's a null observation. There's no confirmation here.

The example of the Miracle of the Sun should show you that 30,000 eye witnesses at once event is insufficient. And you should conclude that certainly just ONE observer can't possibly be enough.

The probability of all of the event witnessed by several hundred different people being illusions is about as close to nil as is possible.

You continually assert this by fiat.
  • You didn't like the one example of thousands of confused people watching one event.
  • What if I give you thousands of examples where one confused person watching thousands of events?

Would that be sufficient to put a dent in your armor? If so, here's a start: http://home.comcast.net/~tprinty/UFO/Venusufo.htm

Your unwillingness to see that demonstrates a bias, to me.

Ivan has an unwillingness because he has a bias against Greer.

You realize, that I feel the same way about you (and, Ivan might, too). Your unwillingness to accept human fallibility (especially when it's so rampantly commonplace) and subsequent willingness to substitute ET visitation absolutely confounds me! Genuinely. I cannot possibly sympathize with your reasoning, and I am really trying.

All of these events, when combined, are, by far, the most significant events anyone will point to regarding the existence of extraterrestrials. As a group they've got my attention even when they did not get my attention singularly. I've always considered sightings to be people wanting attention.

The amalgamation of data can't be more significant the the data itself unless you can show a causal relationship. Some of these individuals that you hold in such high regard are claiming that aliens disabled nuclear weapons! Have you considered that claim carefully?

If there is an agenda, then all several hundred of these events are easily explained: they are lying for some reason unknown to us. I am actually leaning towards it not being true based on various e-mail contacts that I have had.

An agenda is a highly ordered thing. It takes a lot of "units of evidence" to postulate a conspiracy. But it takes very few "units of evidence" to postulate a confused observer. Additionally, your reliance on "e-mail contacts" is uninspiring. My e-mail contacts said that your e-mail contacts are full of bologna!

flex,

i have taken the disarmament statements very seriously. in fact, it has much to do with my reasoning that these are not illusions.

either the weapon was disarmed or it wasnt. that does not consist of only a viewing. one can actually go to the weapon, and determine if it has been disarmed or not.

this is what i am trying to tell you - the significance of these events. we simply are not talking about 400 illusions.

either they are true, or they are lying.

i appreciate your thoughtfulness towards me, but i think we have run out of things to say to one another on this particular topic.

i think that we both understand what the other is saying, and at this point we have simply reached different conclusions.

you think they are illusions. i think they are either true, or lying (leaning towards lying).

Physics-Learner said:
flex,

i have taken the disarmament statements very seriously. in fact, it has much to do with my reasoning that these are not illusions.

either the weapon was disarmed or it wasnt. that does not consist of only a viewing. one can actually go to the weapon, and determine if it has been disarmed or not.

And this shows a certain level of technological illiteracy. There isn't some "beam" you can broadcast that disables weapons. You can't "hack" into banks of relays through non-existent wireless networks. I will refer you to the earlier conversation:

FlexGunship said:
When i was in the military/aerospace industry (for a short time) there weren't even common mechanisms for shutting down cockpit power in a fighter. The mechanism for disengaging the HUD (specifically) was non-trivially different for both fighters I worked on.

We should also keep in mind that this wasn't some sort of loss of power, the missiles actually were taken out of ready status. In the industry I work in now, we have many ways of forcing a machine into a safe condition. I can point to a single wire (one of many) that, if cut or removed, would bring the machine safely to a halt and stay there. The power is up and everything is running, the machine is simply in a "stop in safe" mode.

There's more than one wire, too, I should emphasize.

this is what i am trying to tell you - the significance of these events. we simply are not talking about 400 illusions.

either they are true, or they are lying.

Or they are mistaken.

i appreciate your thoughtfulness towards me, but i think we have run out of things to say to one another on this particular topic.

I don't think we've run out of things to say to each other. I believe my position is well-reasoned enough to withstand more than a casual inspection. I willing to be convinced by your arguments, but you are repeating the same one:

"If enough people make a mistake, it's no longer a mistake."

with regards to missiles, i have no doubts that a far superior technological race could do many things that we don't have the foggiest idea about.

so it still just boils down to "are they here or not ?"

with regards to not having anything to say, i did not mean to imply that you would not be willing to be convinced.

just that i simply have nothing else to offer.

i want to make it clear - i am not trying to convince you that there are aliens. i am even leaning towards the conclusion that there are none visiting us, either.

we simply are on different levels regarding the several hundred military people. my argument is the same. i simply believe the situation leads toward truth or lying. and you believe towards mistaken.

maybe someday we will both know for sure - LOL.

Physics-Learner said:
with regards to missiles, i have no doubts that a far superior technological race could do many things that we don't have the foggiest idea about.

Well, in this specific case, that's not quite true. It's not that there's NOTHING we understand about physics. There is implied complexity in a missile silo. And there's nothing in the laws of combinatorics that allows you to simply bypass complexity without knowledge of a system.

In other words: you cannot invent a machine that simply knows the combination to any safe.

Likewise, an alien race cannot invent a machine that simply knows how to disable nuclear weapons.

And, as yet, there seems to be no significant evidence that suggests they are, or have been.

with regards to not having anything to say, i did not mean to imply that you would not be willing to be convinced.

just that i simply have nothing else to offer.

Very well.

i want to make it clear - i am not trying to convince you that there are aliens. i am even leaning towards the conclusion that there are none visiting us, either.

we simply are on different levels regarding the several hundred military people. my argument is the same. i simply believe the situation leads toward truth or lying. and you believe towards mistaken.

Hmm, your statement is reasonable, and I agree that these are our two stances. I would perhaps rephrase my position as: "confusion is far more likely than conspiracy."

maybe someday we will both know for sure

Unfortunately, if I'm right... it means that nothing will ever come of this. Ever.

And now, I will let you have the last word on this conversation.

Physics-Learner said:
LOL.

Physics-Learner said:

We may be near the end of the trail in physics, or we may not. At this point no one can say for sure. I do reject the absolute assumption that any race capable of getting here [assuming for a moment that this is possible] must be far more advanced than us. That may be true, but it may also be true we will discover some fantastic mode of travel tomorrow. I would guess that most physicists think we are near the end of the road in the physics, but until I see a TOE, + 100 years or so, I am reserving judgment.

False. That may be it from your point of view, and imo it is a profoundly interesting question [have we ever been visited?], but fundamentally we have claims of unexplained phenomena. This does not automatically reduce to one alleged explanation for some or all alleged events. It could be that there are some fantastically interesting phenomena out there that have nothing to do with ET.

Perhaps THE most common logical error here is to automatically link UFO claims, to ET claims. This is true for both believers and skeptics. It may be that many people are telling fantastic tales that are true, but flatly rejected as nonsense, simply because the interpretation of events by the alleged observer are used to define the entire event. Also, if an observer is describing some unrecognized but real phenomenon, then eyeballs will roll because no one can think of a reasonable explanation.

Even worse, the original report may contain no references to ET, but the association is implied by the nature of the report, so the "ET claim" is assumed.

Last edited:
hi ivan,

that was one of the 2 questions i wanted to ask an et

1) how long on average, would it take our civilization to advance to theirs ?

i would not go so far as to say that an et visiting us has extreme powers. they may or may not be able to do such and such.

i simply say that it would not surprise me to find that they could disable missiles with some ability/technology that we know nothing about.

Physics-Learner said:
hi ivan,

that was one of the 2 questions i wanted to ask an et

1) how long on average, would it take our civilization to advance to theirs ?

Okay, but let's not go there. :biggrin:

i would not go so far as to say that an et visiting us has extreme powers. they may or may not be able to do such and such.

i simply say that it would not surprise me to find that they could disable missiles with some ability/technology that we know nothing about.

EMP weapons already exist. Even the police have been looking at technology to disable the electronic systems in runaway cars. To me, it isn't all that difficult to imagine defeating 1960s technology. One might even imagine that any sufficiently energetic phenonenon having the proper characteristics, could do this - say for example, and just as an example something one might imagine, the phenonenon that causes earthlights [earthquake lights], which are now generally accepted to be real. This appears to be a highly energetic electromagnetic phenomenon. Ball lightning [or something like it] also appears to be highly energetic at times. Lightning is also pretty energetic. The point being that we do find things like this in nature.

Last edited:
Btw, I worked on the national missile defense system and had to deal with some issues related to the EMP shield, so I do know a bit about missile silos.

wow - i don't have anything that impressive to talk about - LOL.

I get frustrated when people estimate the size and distance of objects in the sky. If an object is beyond the limited distance within which stereoscopic vision gives us depth perception, there is no way to estimate them. A larger object located further away and a smaller object located nearer will look the same. If you were given a known value for anyone of these three things -- an object's size, distance or speed -- then you could estimate the other two, but if you are not given a value for any of these three things then you cannot estimate any of them. Even people who should know better, such as pilots, frequently get this wrong. It's not such a difficult concept -- we have all heard such comparisons as: the moon looks like a pea held six feet away -- and yet the habit persists, and people continue to report how many "football fields wide" some UFO was. If you could see that your vision of an object in the sky was blocked by a cumulus cloud but not blocked by a cirrus cloud, then you would have a basis for estimation, but just to see a disc by itself, you can't know anything at all about its size, distance or speed. This fact about optics doesn't change just because you may be a state trooper or an airline pilot with many years of experience. The crackpot television programs never explain this.

Ivan Seeking said:
MP weapons already exist. Even the police have been looking at technology to disable the electronic systems in runaway cars. To me, it isn't all that difficult to imagine defeating 1960s technology.

I believe that the details revealed that the missiles in question were not actually "un-powered" but were, in fact, put into a safe standby mode (a mode from which it is impossible to launch).

That's not to say an EMP couldn't have similar effects, but an EMP is to "safe mode" what a sledgehammer is to stubbed toe.

FlexGunship said:
I believe that the details revealed that the missiles in question were not actually "un-powered" but were, in fact, put into a safe standby mode (a mode from which it is impossible to launch).

That's not to say an EMP couldn't have similar effects, but an EMP is to "safe mode" what a sledgehammer is to stubbed toe.

Normally I'd agree, but I have no idea what the backups and fail-safes are for launch protocols... maybe when there is damage to the primary systems, or perceived damage (emp overloading something) safe-mode is the default state for the whole system. Remember, unpowered systems are not going to be harmed by such a... selective... EMP.

The only person here who has claimed direct knowledge of missile systems has pretty much led me to guess that... yeah... if things go wrong the default for ICBMs isn't "Bolshevik Muppet," but rather "standby".

nismaratwork said:
The only person here who has claimed direct knowledge of missile systems has pretty much led me to guess that... yeah... if things go wrong the default for ICBMs isn't "Bolshevik Muppet," but rather "standby".

Rightly so, I've never worked on ICBM or their silos, but I've worked on weapons launch systems before (specifically, the interface for selecting, arming, confirming, and launching). But we should remember the conversational path that got us here:

We started out with the notion of "intentional disarmament" which is something I was arguing against because of the complexity of the operation. My counter-argument included discussion about other existing technology in which a single wire can mean the difference between ready-to-launch and safe-standby. Which is when I postulated that it's more likely that 1960s vintage silos had mediocre wiring instead of aliens disarming single missiles for 30 seconds at a time.

FlexGunship said:

I haven't read the report in years and couldn't find my old copy. Did someone link it earlier? [I mean the original Boeing report].

It wouldn't be unusual for any system like this to default to a safe mode if something unusual happens. In fact, for any well-designed system, I would expect it.

My point was that ET isn't the only possible explanation for this event.

nismaratwork said:
Normally I'd agree, but I have no idea what the backups and fail-safes are for launch protocols... maybe when there is damage to the primary systems, or perceived damage (emp overloading something) safe-mode is the default state for the whole system. Remember, unpowered systems are not going to be harmed by such a... selective... EMP.

I don't mean to claim expertise on missile systems - I'm definitely not an expert - but in addition to some engineering of the launch control systems, I was actually tasked with the original planning for the EMP tests.

Surprisingly, I didn't even need a security clearance. The only secret information relates to the shape of the EMP wave. I was allowed to know most but not all wavesforms. Also while we couldn't know what was inside of the intrinsic barrier, we did know the level of attenuation required for an EMP.

Last edited:
For the sake of confidence, I thought I had better provide a little support for this one.

One of my dusty old technical references, my Team NMD patch, and my online name.

Attachments

• Team NMD_resized.jpg
    Team NMD_resized.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 571
Hemp protection... ahhhh, you worked on "Reefer Madness" if I'm reading this right... right? :tongue:

nismaratwork said:
Hemp protection... ahhhh, you worked on "Reefer Madness" if I'm reading this right... right? :tongue:

I wondered if it would take more than one post for someone to pick up on that. :biggrin:

The inside joke was that I was doing HEMP testing for the DOD.

Of course, the H is for high-altitude, which refers to the source of the EMP - a high-altitude nuclear detonation.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
I wondered if it would take more than one post for someone to pick up on that. :biggrin:

The inside joke was that I was doing HEMP testing for the DOD.

Of course, the H is for high-altitude, which refers to the source of the EMP - a high-altitude nuclear detonation.

Ha! Remember... it could have been: "HAND-EMP or the like. Someone in the naming department was sucking on a joint while that folder was being printed, or at least, it would explain a LOT.

Nice souvenir however, once you put the kidding aside it's quite impressive. Did you enjoy the work and the team you worked with?

nismaratwork said:
Did you enjoy the work and the team you worked with?

The weeks were often 80-hours long and there was unbelievable pressure at times, but it was fantastically interesting and fun. I had a chance to go to Kwajalein but didn't want to spend six months on a sand bar. I also had a shot at the final programming for the launch control system but lost that job to Rockwell [just as well, I didn't want to spend two years in nowhere Alaska!]. For the EMP stuff, I answered directly to the company President so I wasn't really a part of a team on that one. That was just lots of research, cost analysis, and report writing.

I also had the opportunity to work on a stealth boat-submarine for the Iraelis, which was a real treat. In fact, that's what got my foot in the door for the other jobs.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
The weeks were often 80-hours long and there was unbelievable pressure at times, but it was fantastically interesting and fun. I had a chance to go to Kwajalein but didn't want to spend six months on a sand bar. I also had a shot at the final programming for the launch control system but lost that job to Rockwell [just as well, I didn't want to spend two years in nowhere Alaska!]. For the EMP stuff, I answered directly to the company President so I wasn't really a part of a team on that one. That was just lots of research, cost analysis, and report writing.

I also had the opportunity to work on a stealth boat-submarine for the Iraelis, which was a real treat. In fact, that's what got my foot in the door for the other jobs.

So we're talking about high-pressure type-A work, but rewarding and fun. I have to say, it sounds like a fantastic experience; thanks for telling us about it!