UK vs USA for an international undergraduate

In summary, the person is asking if studying at Cambridge in the UK puts them at a disadvantage for getting into a PhD program in the US. The responder states that being at Cambridge is not a disadvantage and many people from the UK, including those from Cambridge, go on to do their PhDs in the US. They also mention that many students do research over the summer at various institutes. The responder finds it amusing that there is even a possibility that studying at Cambridge could be seen as a disadvantage.
GloriousPanda
I ask because I just received an offer from Cambridge and from a few great places in the US. I want to go on to do a PhD, probably in the United States. Finance isn't an issue. In your experience, does being from a place in the UK (albeit as great as Cambridge) put one at an automatic disadvantage to grad school committees? Would people with some experience know if a motivated undergraduate at Cambridge can produce some substantial research, since undergrad research is not that prevalent in the UK?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, being at Cambridge is not a disadvantage at all. A lot of people from the UK (most from Cambridge, Oxford, or ICL) do their PhDs in the U.S. There are several people in my year who did their undergrad in the UK. I think a lot of them did research over the summer at various places like CERN, the Max Planck institute, etc.

I almost choked on what I was eating when I read even the remote possibility that getting a degree from Cambridge might put one at a "disadvantage".

Zz.

What are the main differences between studying in the UK and studying in the USA as an international undergraduate?

The main differences between studying in the UK and studying in the USA as an international undergraduate include the education system, the cost of tuition and living expenses, the cultural differences, and the visa requirements.

Which country has a better education system for international undergraduates, the UK or the USA?

Both the UK and the USA have highly respected education systems, so it ultimately depends on the individual's preferences and goals. The UK places a strong emphasis on theoretical learning and independent study, while the USA focuses on practical, hands-on learning.

What are the visa requirements for international undergraduates in the UK and the USA?

In the UK, international students typically need a Tier 4 student visa, which requires a valid offer from a UK university and proof of financial stability. In the USA, international students need an F-1 student visa, which also requires a valid offer from a US institution and proof of financial stability.

Is it more expensive to study in the UK or the USA as an international undergraduate?

The cost of studying in the UK and the USA can vary depending on the specific university and location. Generally, tuition fees in the UK are lower than in the USA, but living expenses can be higher. It's important to thoroughly research and compare costs before making a decision.

How can I decide between studying in the UK or the USA as an international undergraduate?

To decide between studying in the UK or the USA, you should consider factors such as your academic goals, preferred learning style, cultural preferences, and financial situation. It may also be helpful to speak with current or former international students in each country to gain a better understanding of their experiences.