Spending a Year Abroad in USA/Canada for Research & CMT

• Schools
  • Thread starter Silicon-Based
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Year
In summary, a student is considering spending their 3rd year abroad in the USA or Canada to do research during the academic year and improve their chances of getting into graduate school. They are interested in condensed matter and have options for universities to attend, including UCs, UIUC, UMD, Rutgers, Stony Brook, UMass Amherst, and NC State. The student is most interested in UIUC due to its strong condensed matter department and affordability, but UMD and UCSB are also good options. They believe any research experience in condensed matter, whether in theory or experiment, would be valuable for their future PhD studies. They also plan to take graduate courses to cover equivalent material from the UK.
Silicon-Based
I'm a student in a UK university and have the option of spending my 3rd year abroad in the USA or Canada. My primary motivation for doing so is the ability to do research during the academic year (which is impossible to do in the UK), which would make me more competitive when applying to graduate school, whether in the USA or elsewhere. I'm interested in condensed matter and to some extent in AMO, and more towards the theoretical side of things.

These are the American universities I may attend: all UCs, UIUC, UMD, Rutgers, Stony Brook, UMass Amherst, and NC State.

The best outcome would seem to be UC Berkeley but I'm very unlikely to gain acceptence there, and the area is also very expensive. My favourite right now would probably be UIUC. It's supposed to have the best condensed matter department in the country, and it's one of the most affordable options. However, UMD is also pretty strong, especially in AMO with their Joint Quantum Institute. UCSB also appears to be a good option.

In the end, the prestige of the university probably matters less than having done research. For that reason, how difficult would getting involved in research be in each of those univeristies?

On that note, how is the situation with undergraduate research in CMT? I've seem many experimental groups listing their undergarduate researchers on their websites, but rarely did I see the same with theory groups. If I intend to do a PhD in CMT it would be great if I could do some relevant research. If this would help, I will be doing some graduate courses, probably in electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, or statistical mechanics in order to cover the UK equivalent material for the year.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I were you, I would not be picky in the least bit in getting any kind of research work in condensed matter. Regardless of whether you wish to do theory or experiment, know that ANY kind of research work will be of value to you. A theorist who actually have done experimental work is a strong point, not a weak point.

UIUC has always been one of the best and leading department in condensed matter. And for a state school that is also more affordable than most private institutions, that is highly unusual. It also has a lot of research funding and attracts a high percentage of international students. So I highly recommend it.

Zz.

Likes Silicon-Based

1. What are the benefits of spending a year abroad in the USA/Canada for research and CMT?

There are several benefits to spending a year abroad in the USA/Canada for research and CMT. Firstly, it offers the opportunity to work with top research institutions and experts in your field, allowing you to expand your knowledge and skills. Additionally, experiencing a different culture and environment can broaden your perspective and provide new insights. It can also enhance your resume and open doors for future international collaborations.

2. How can I find research opportunities in the USA/Canada for a year abroad?

There are various ways to find research opportunities in the USA/Canada for a year abroad. You can start by searching for universities or research institutions in your field of interest and checking their websites for available positions. You can also reach out to professors or researchers directly to inquire about opportunities. Additionally, organizations such as Fulbright and DAAD offer grants and scholarships for international research experiences.

3. What are the requirements for spending a year abroad in the USA/Canada for research and CMT?

The specific requirements may vary depending on the institution or program you are applying to. Generally, you will need to have a strong academic background, relevant research experience, and a clear research proposal. You may also need to demonstrate proficiency in the English language and obtain necessary visas or permits for your stay.

4. How can I prepare for spending a year abroad in the USA/Canada for research and CMT?

To prepare for spending a year abroad in the USA/Canada for research and CMT, it is important to familiarize yourself with the culture, customs, and expectations of the country you will be staying in. You can also research the institution you will be working with and connect with other international students or researchers to gain insights and advice. Additionally, make sure to plan for any necessary vaccinations, visas, and housing arrangements.

5. What can I expect from a year abroad in the USA/Canada for research and CMT?

A year abroad in the USA/Canada for research and CMT can be a challenging and rewarding experience. You can expect to work on cutting-edge research projects, collaborate with top researchers, and gain valuable skills and knowledge. You may also have the opportunity to attend conferences and workshops, travel to different cities, and immerse yourself in a different culture. It is important to be open-minded, flexible, and proactive in making the most out of your experience.