UMass Physics vs CWRU Astronomy

In summary, the person is considering offers from UMass Amherst Physics and Case Western Astronomy for their Phd programs. They are struggling to decide between the two, taking into account factors such as the size of the department and graduate student population, as well as the location of each university (Cleveland vs Amherst). They are also seeking advice on other important considerations for their decision, such as the overall atmosphere and reputation of the cities.
devd
I have offers from UMass Amherst Physics and Case Western Astronomy for their respective Phd programs. I'm having a tough time deciding between the two. Leaving aside the differences due to astronomy vs physics, what other factors are important to consider while making a decision?

UMass Physics is a relatively bigger department with a large graduate student population while Case Astro has around 3 current grad students.

Also, CWRU is located in Cleveland while UMass in Amherst. What are the pros and cons of living in Cleveland vs Amherst?

What other things might I consider?

Any advice would be welcome!

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never been to Amherst, but it appears to be very much a "college town." Cleveland is a gritty former industrial city that has declined a lot during the last 50 years or so, and is slowly reinventing itself. CWRU is near areas that at least in the past have had reputations for crime and urban blight. Of course you can find such conditions in parts of most large American cities, but I suspect Amherst does not suffer from that sort of thing to nearly the same extent, if at all.

I actually have a soft spot for Cleveland because I grew up nearby. But it's definitely not like Boston, or San Francisco, or...

Last edited:
Likes devd

What is the difference between UMass Physics and CWRU Astronomy?

UMass Physics is a department that focuses on the study of matter, energy, and the fundamental laws of the universe, while CWRU Astronomy is a department that focuses on the study of celestial objects and phenomena in the universe.

Which department offers better research opportunities for undergraduate students?

Both UMass Physics and CWRU Astronomy offer excellent research opportunities for undergraduate students. It ultimately depends on the specific research interests of the student and which department aligns better with those interests.

What are the career prospects for graduates of UMass Physics and CWRU Astronomy?

Graduates of UMass Physics and CWRU Astronomy have a variety of career options available to them. Some may choose to pursue academic or research positions, while others may find jobs in industries such as aerospace, defense, or technology.

Does UMass Physics have a stronger focus on theoretical or experimental physics?

UMass Physics has a balanced approach to both theoretical and experimental physics. The department has faculty members with expertise in both areas, and students have the opportunity to gain experience in both through coursework and research opportunities.

Are there any collaboration opportunities between UMass Physics and CWRU Astronomy?

Yes, there are opportunities for collaboration between UMass Physics and CWRU Astronomy. Both departments have a strong research focus and often collaborate on projects and share resources. Additionally, students have the opportunity to participate in exchange programs between the two universities.