UN to Say It Overstated AIDS Cases.

• News
  • Thread starter chemisttree
  • Start date
In summary, the United Nations has reduced their estimates of the HIV/AIDS epidemic, citing more reliable data and a decrease in new cases and mortality levels. However, some critics argue that the overestimation of the epidemic has skewed funding decisions and obscured potential solutions. In addition, the conversation also touches on the controversial issue of human-aided global warming and the consensus surrounding it.
Evo said:
I'm afraid we are. We are in the interglacial warming period referred to as the Holocene.
The initial warming at glacial termination spanned about 5000 years and ended ~9000 years ago. The Holocene optimum was about 7500 years ago. The trend since then has been one of cooling except for a slight warming 5500 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Holocene_Temperature_Variations.png"

The pattern of glacial/interglacial is one of warming for ~5000 years as the NH ice sheets melt and the oceans overturn and release CO2, followed by a long trend of general cooling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Art said:
Skyhunter,
Your figures don't add up; ~7.8 Gt CO2 = 1ppmv CO2 and about 1/2 of human emissions are reabsorbed in the carbon cycle so how can all of the extra 100 ppmv be attributable to human pollution even allowing a 100 year lifespan in the atmosphere? We simply haven't produced that much CO2 even if not one molecule had been reabsorbed.

Human contribution to CO2 in the last 150 years is ~500 billion metric tons. Enough to raise levels to 500ppm if not for the increased absorption by natural sinks.

Talking in isolation about CO2 is being in denial. There are many other GHGs and when taken in their totality mankind's CO2 contributions = 0.28% of that total so again I ask you do you think spending multi-billions reducing that 0.28% to something like 0.26% will really make a difference?

Again you are totally misrepresenting the numbers. You have such a strong http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias" that you are ignoring the obvious. There is no other source for the added CO2.

Also despite us pumping out CO2 for the previous 150 years why did we have a cold spell between 1940 - 1970 (which sparked off the Manmade Ice Age hysteria?) I'd be very interested to see how you reconcile rising CO2 levels with falling global temperatures into your favoured GW theory.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_dimming"
I thought Al Gore's famous graph illustrated there has been no causal link between high CO2 levels and GW. In fact it showed the reverse was true with CO2 spiking AFTER a rise in global temperatures and yet despite these very large increases in CO2 concentrations the temperatures fell.

Actually that was not Al Gores graph, that was a reconstruction of Antarctic ice cores. What is shows is that CO2 does not initiate the warming, but amplifies it after about 600 - 1000 years.

Climates change - they always have and they always will. In fact based on the historical record we should be far more worried about plunging into the next ice age as there is one due!

Not for another 50,000 years according to the latest study of orbital forcings.

Anyway rather than get into a detailed discussion on positive and negative forcing etc when there simply isn't the data for a conclusive argument and so tends to lead to endless debates on CO2s actual contribution to GE I'd rather stick to the theme of this thread which is can UN bodies such as the IPCC be trusted to impart unbiased and accurate information (whether one happens to agree with their conclusions or not) and based on the info I supplied in my earlier posts the answer would appear to be no.

Fair enough. So what independent science foundation is claiming that the IPCC is exaggerating?

I thought we were adding roughly 5ppmv of CO2 each year over the recent past!

Skyhunter said:
Human contribution to CO2[/sub in the last 150 years is ~500 billion metric tons. Enough to raise levels to 500ppm if not for the increased absorption by natural sinks.
So you wish to retract this then?
humans have been emitting 6-7 gigatons a year
because even if we had been generating this level of CO2 for the past 150 years, which of course we haven't, it still only equals 130 ppmv with no reabsorbtion whatsoever.

Skyhunter said:
Again you are totally misrepresenting the numbers. You have such a strong http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias" that you are ignoring the obvious. There is no other source for the added CO2.
Change in land use springs to mind as does volcanic activity, even a small upward deviation in volcanic activity in a few of the last 150 years would account for a huge chunk of CO2 given that it's normal annual output is ~60Gt.

And confirmation bias Mmmm rightttt not open minded like you perhaps :biggrin:

Skyhunter said:
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_dimming"
You can't support todays junk science with yesterdays discredited junk science

Skyhunter said:
Actually that was not Al Gores graph, that was a reconstruction of Antarctic ice cores. What is shows is that CO2 does not initiate the warming, but amplifies it after about 600 - 1000 years.
Whatever, he used it mendaciously. So are you saying now we don't need to worry about AGW for another 600 - 1000 years? :confused: I think you just shot yourself in the foot!

Skyhunter said:
Not for another 50,000 years according to the latest study of orbital forcings.
Perhaps not. Previous belief was a glacial period arrived every 12000 years but this belief seems to have changed at some point.

Skyhunter said:
Fair enough. So what independent science foundation is claiming that the IPCC is exaggerating?
Here you go. And note this is a peer reviewed report rather than the politically reviewed report the IPCC issue.

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~rmckitri/research/ispm.html

Now you are just flaming.

Art said:
So you wish to retract this then? because even if we had been generating this level of CO2 for the past 150 years, which of course we haven't, it still only equals 130 ppmv with no reabsorbtion whatsoever.

Where do you get your numbers from?

I retract nothing.

This is not a game of scrabble where you can just pull numbers out of the air. Show me your math or provide me with a verifiable source.

Here is thehttp://ipcc-wg1.ucar.edu/wg1/Report/AR4WG1_Print_TS.pdf"

Art said:
Change in land use springs to mind as does volcanic activity, even a small upward deviation in volcanic activity in a few of the last 150 years would account for a huge chunk of CO2 given that it's normal annual output is ~60Gt.

Care to retract that?

USGS said:
Comparison of CO2 emissions from volcanoes vs. human activities.

Scientists have calculated that volcanoes emit between about 130-230 million tonnes (145-255 million tons) of CO2 into the atmosphere every year (Gerlach, 1999, 1991). This estimate includes both subaerial and submarine volcanoes, about in equal amounts. Emissions of CO2 by human activities, including fossil fuel burning, cement production, and gas flaring, amount to about 27 billion tonnes per year (30 billion tons) [ ( Marland, et al., 2006) - The reference gives the amount of released carbon (C), rather than CO2, through 2003.]. Human activities release more than 130 times the amount of CO2 emitted by volcanoes--the equivalent of more than 8,000 additional volcanoes like Kilauea (Kilauea emits about 3.3 million tonnes/year)! (Gerlach et. al., 2002)
http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/Hazards/What/VolGas/volgas.html

Art said:
And confirmation bias Mmmm rightttt not open minded like you perhaps :biggrin:

Can you support such an assertion with an example?

Art said:
You can't support todays junk science with yesterdays discredited junk science

According to who's opinion?

Art said:
Whatever, he used it mendaciously. So are you saying now we don't need to worry about AGW for another 600 - 1000 years? :confused: I think you just shot yourself in the foot!

Worry about what?

I think it is you who is confused. If CO2 lags temperature by ~800 years, then there is no way that the observed fact that carbon dioxide has increased by 100ppm in the last century, so it cannot possibly be the instantaneous response to the observed fact of a 0.6C warming during the last century

Art said:
Perhaps not. Previous belief was a glacial period arrived every 12000 years but this belief seems to have changed at some point.
Belief by who and when? The ice cores and marine isotopes correlate rather well with the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milankovitch_cyclesb" And none of the orbital oscillations operate on a 12,000 year cycle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Vostok_420ky_4curves_insolation.jpg"

Here you go. And note this is a peer reviewed report rather than the politically reviewed report the IPCC issue.

Do you even know what a peer review is.

That is nothing more than a biased economist blogger. The IPCC is a scientific body, not a political one. Your arguments are baseless fallacies.

Skyhunter said:
Actually If you read the IPCC Fourth Assessment Report Technical Summary you will find that water vapor has been increasing 1.2% per decade for the last three decades. This is consistent with model predictions and the expected response to warmer temperatures.

Now this is an interesting stat. Do they know what caused this?

Water vapor has a very rapid cycle. It's atmospheric levels are generally determined by 3 major mechanisms.
  1. Temperature
  2. Pressure
  3. Surface forcing (instantaneous radiative flux) or simply sunshine.

Global pressure is a constant, so temperature is the biggest contributor, however there has been a measured increase in surface forcing, and there is a possible but not yet quantified contribution from irrigation and land use changes. But the predominant determining factor is simply the tendency for warmer temperatures to support more water vapor.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relative_humidity" for more.

Skyhunter said:

Art}Here you go. And note this is a peer reviewed report rather than the politically reviewed report the IPCC issue. http://www.uoguelph.ca/~rmckitri/research/ispm.html[/quote said:
That is nothing more than a biased economist blogger. The IPCC is a scientific body, not a political one. Your arguments are baseless fallacies.
McKitrick is an Environmental Economist and is not a "blogger" anymore than the realclimate people are bloggers. His work in discrediting the "Hockey Stick" graph by Mann is world renown.

No that's not peer reviewed.

The IPCC is political, not scientific. They take work from various scientists then chew up and disgorge a politically correct version written up by non-scientists. This is why so many scientists have resigned and refused to have their work misinterpreted by politically driven non-scientists.

Art said:
So you wish to retract this then?

humans have been emitting 6-7 gigatons a year
because even if we had been generating this level of CO2 for the past 150 years, which of course we haven't, it still only equals 130 ppmv with no reabsorbtion whatsoever.

We've been emitting about 7 Gt of Carbon equivalents, from an annual rate of nearly 30 Gt of CO2. Multiply your numbers by about 4 to get the total estimate: about 500ppmv. Now throw in reabsorption. All the numbers make sense; no need to retract anything.

According to the US Geological survey, volcanoes contribute only abou 0.2 Gt per year of CO2. That's 300 times smaller than your number, and tiny when compared to CO2 from fossil fuels.

Source: US Geological Survey

Comparison of CO2 emissions from volcanoes vs. human activities.

Scientists have calculated that volcanoes emit between about 130-230 million tonnes (145-255 million tons) of CO2 into the atmosphere every year (Gerlach, 1999, 1991). This estimate includes both subaerial and submarine volcanoes, about in equal amounts. Emissions of CO2 by human activities, including fossil fuel burning, cement production, and gas flaring, amount to about 27 billion tonnes per year (30 billion tons) [ ( Marland, et al., 2006) - The reference gives the amount of released carbon (C), rather than CO2, through 2003.]. Human activities release more than 130 times the amount of CO2 emitted by volcanoes--the equivalent of more than 8,000 additional volcanoes like Kilauea (Kilauea emits about 3.3 million tonnes/year)! (Gerlach et. al., 2002)

And for completeless, here's a rebuttal from Realclimate:

/www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2007/02/fraser-institute-fires-off-a-damp-squib/[/URL]

[quote]Why go to all the trouble of producing an "independent" summary? The authors illuminate us with this wisdom regarding the official Summary for Policymakers: "A further problem is that the Summary for Policy Makers attached to the IPCC Report is produced, not by the scientific writers and reviewers, but by a process of negotiation among unnamed bureaucratic delegates from sponsoring governments." This statement (charitably) shows that the Fraser Institute authors are profoundly ignorant of the IPCC process. In fact, the actual authors of the official SPM are virtually all scientists, and are publically acknowleged. Moreover, the lead authors of the individual chapters are represented in the writing process leading to the SPM, and their job is to defend the basic science in their chapters. As lead author Gerald Meehl remarked to one of us on his way to Paris: "Scientists have to be ok, they have the last check. If they think the science is not represented, then they can send it back to the breakout groups. " [/quote]

And since we now have Ross McKitrick (Co-ordinator of the ISPM paper) on our plates, it may be noteworthy to point to the following:

[quote]In previous rounds of the debate, Lambert has shown that McKitrick messed up an analysis of the number of weather stations, showed he knew almost nothing about climate, flunked basic thermodynamics, couldn’t handle missing values correctly and invented his own temperature scale.

But Tim’s latest discovery really takes the cake. It’s well-known that the rate of warming varies with latitude, but McKitrick and Michaels find no such effect for their variable, which is the cosine of absolute latitude. Lambert checked and, amazingly enough, found that the data set used by McKitrick and Michaels had latitude in degrees, but the cosine function in the SHAZAM econometric package, they used expected input in radians (which is what any mathematically literate person would expect). If you apply this function to angles measured in degrees you get nonsense.

Once Lambert did the correct analysis, latitude was highly significant and the economic variables became much less important. The results reported by McKitrick and Michaels can be explained by an obvious confounding effect. Rich countries tend to be at high latitudes, and so GDP acts as a proxy for latitude.[/quote]
Sources:
http://timlambert.org/2004/08/mckitrick6/
[url]http://crookedtimber.org/2004/08/25/mckitrick-mucks-it-up[/url]

Regarding McKitrick's rebuttal of Mann's paper and the subsequent corrections published by McKitrick and Mann:

[quote] Mann, Bradley and Hughes have published some corrections to the supplementary information for the famous hockey stick graph showing the temperature record of the last 1000 years. They say that the errors do not affect their published results. This could explain why McKitrick and McIntyre could not reproduce their results, but McKitrick is continuing to insist that Mann’s graph is wrong.

McKitrick has also published some errata. Unlike Mann’s error McKitrick’s error affects his results:

[b]Figure 3 in the Cooler Heads Briefing on TBS contains an error. Tim Lambert of Australia has pointed out that missing data were handled differently between Figures 2 and 3, and when this is fixed the example no longer illustrates the intended point. The point (that the trend can change if the averaging rule is changed) is shown in this Revised Spreadsheet. Our thanks to Tim Lambert for pointing out the error. [/b] [/quote]

Sources:
http://timlambert.org/2004/05/mckitrick3/
[URL]http://timlambert.org/2004/07#mckitrick5[/URL]

PS: Some of this is covered in Sky's post above, which I hadn't seen before I was writing this.

Skyhunter said:
Now you are just flaming.
I think the term you are looking for is "trolling". Trolling is when somebody posts a bunch of baseless crap just for the sake or starting or maintaining an argument, or to play devil's advocate. I called the first post a troll post because it quoted something about AIDS then concluded that the IPCC is retarded. Non sequitur = trolling.
Flaming has more to do with when person attacks take priority over the debate.

If CO2 lags temperature by ~800 years, then there is no way that the observed fact that carbon dioxide has increased by 100ppm in the last century, so it cannot possibly be the instantaneous response to the observed fact of a 0.6C warming during the last century
I've always wondered about this one. If the records show that CO2 very accurately lags behind global warming for a good 800 years, why doesn't somebody look at what the temperature was 800 years ago and see if it closely follows current CO2 levels. The IPCC seems to know how much CO2 humans produce, so it shouldn't be overly difficult to subtract the human CO2 from the mix and see if natural CO2 levels agree with the temperature changes in the past.

Gokul, I will ask you, as I have asked Skyhunter, how do we know for certain what would be normal (without human intervention) and what can be undisputedly attributed to humans? Where is the data? Also, we know that "Global Warming" is now obsolete and has been replaced with "climate change", and it is now said that we need to understand that different effects happen at different locations, and the emphasis now is to try to understand change on a location by location basis.

Where is the data? How do we know what to do? Isn't this latest shift to "local climate" very new? I think everyone is on board with reducing pollution. What is it that you are proposing?

Here in the midwest we are experiencing cooler than normal temperatures, late spring freezes, today is the coldest Thanksgiving in 12 years. Crops this year were devasted by unusual cold and unusual late freezes.

I'm really curious what you think is the answer.

Last edited:
Skyhunter said:
Where do you get your numbers from?

I retract nothing.

This is not a game of scrabble where you can just pull numbers out of the air. Show me your math or provide me with a verifiable source.
~7.8 Gt CO2 correspond to 1 ppmv CO2 in the atmosphere. ppmv = parts per million by volume
http://www.radix.net/~bobg/faqs/scq.CO2rise.html
If you google on 7.8 Gt CO2 you will find numerous references for this conversion. If we are producing 6-7 Gt of CO2 per year as you said then that is less than 1 ppmv p.a.

Skyhunter said:
Care to retract that?
Yes my error I looked up the wrong figure on a table I was using.

Skyhunter said:
Can you support such an assertion with an example?
Yes, take a look at your last comment in your last post.

Skyhunter said:
According to who's opinion?
Err the IPCC
1.3a Aerosols play a key role in the Earth's climate, with a potential impact more than
three times that of anthropogenic carbon dioxide emissions, but their influence remains
subject to low or very low scientific understanding
. Plus of course we didn't get the Ice Age we were threatened with which was a bit of a give away.

Skyhunter said:
Worry about what?

I think it is you who is confused. If CO2 lags temperature by ~800 years, then there is no way that the observed fact that carbon dioxide has increased by 100ppm in the last century, so it cannot possibly be the instantaneous response to the observed fact of a 0.6C warming during the last century
you said
What is shows is that CO2 does not initiate the warming, but amplifies it after about 600 - 1000 years.
Note. Does NOT initiate the warming therefore AGW theory must be wrong because it works on the premise CO2 DOES initiate the warming. Looks like an argument clincher to me :approve:

Skyhunter said:
Belief by who and when? The ice cores and marine isotopes correlate rather well with the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milankovitch_cyclesb" And none of the orbital oscillations operate on a 12,000 year cycle.
Here
The Earth is now in an interglacial period known as the Holocene. It was conventional wisdom that "the typical interglacial period lasts about 12,000 years" but now appears to be incorrect from the evidence of ice core records
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Vostok_420ky_4curves_insolation.jpg"

Skyhunter said:

Read my earlier post re how the IPCC summary is formulated and then tell me if you think it is not political.

And why not actually try clicking on the link I supplied and then reading it. You might find it interesting.

Gokul43201 said:
We've been emitting about 7 Gt of Carbon equivalents, from an annual rate of nearly 30 Gt of CO2. Multiply your numbers by about 4 to get the total estimate: about 500ppmv. Now throw in reabsorption. All the numbers make sense; no need to retract anything.
Not my figures. I used the figures Skyhunter provided and the maths didn't add up.

Evo said:
Gokul, I will ask you, as I have asked Skyhunter, how do we know for certain what would be normal (without human intervention) and what can be undisputedly attributed to humans?
I'm not going to speak for the state of the science and the sizes of error bars on various estimates. I don't know enough about the field. But I will not stand for incorrect rebuttals of the science performed by non-specialists (as we have had here and in about a dozen other threads).

Also, we don't really know anything for "certain", in any field of science. While the error bars on the data are smaller in more well-established fields, they are larger in many areas of climate science. That does not mean that we can not aassign a confidence interval to the estimates that are made.

Last edited:
ShawnD said:
I've always wondered about this one. If the records show that CO2 very accurately lags behind global warming for a good 800 years, why doesn't somebody look at what the temperature was 800 years ago and see if it closely follows current CO2 levels. The IPCC seems to know how much CO2 humans produce, so it shouldn't be overly difficult to subtract the human CO2 from the mix and see if natural CO2 levels agree with the temperature changes in the past.
Funnily enough it's just the right lag to tie in with the MWP.

Gokul43201 said:
I'm not going to speak for the state of the science and the sizes of error bars on various estimates. I don't know enough about the field. But I will not stand for incorrect rebuttals of the science performed by non-specialists (as we have had here and in about a dozen other threads).

Also, we don't really know anything for "certain", in any field of science. While the error bars on the data are smaller in more well-established fields, they are larger in many areas of climate science. That does not mean that we can not aassign a confidence interval to the estimates that are made.
Ok, because I value your opinion. Let's say you are right about the level of human effects. What next? What is the right thing to do? Do you feel confident that we know enough to make drastic world wide climate changing decisions?

I'm trying to understand what you and Skyhunter expect should be done.

Art said:
Not my figures. I used the figures Skyhunter provided and the maths didn't add up.
Sky didn't provide the units. If you were aware of the roughly factor of 4 multiplier between the molar masses of C and CO2 (or between carbon equivalents and CO2 volumes) and knew the approximate human production rate, you'd have immediately been able to convert the units and the math would have made sense. I spend the tiniest fraction of my time thinking about climate science (all of it when threads like this pop up), and it struck me immediately.

Evo said:
I'm trying to understand what you and Skyhunter expect should be done.
I have little opinion on how good the science is and whether the IPCC is doing a fair job of communicating it to us (if anything, I'm skeptical on both counts). I've also got no opinion on what should be done if what they say is true. I have not expressed any opinion on these matters.

I do however, have an opinion on non-specialists rebutting the work of career scientists, particularly when the rebuttal is mired in misconception and misinformation. I do have an opinion on one-line arguments (like "Does NOT initiate the warming therefore AGW theory must be wrong because it works on the premise CO2 DOES initiate the warming.") that claim to debunk the primary findings of hundreds of scientists. My opinion is that such arguments are essentially crackpottery and do not belong here. And that's all I'm tackling in my posts.

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
I have little opinion on whether the science is good and whether the IPCC is doing a fair job of communicating it to us (if anything, I'm skeptical on both counts). I've also got no opinion on what should be done if what they say is true.

I do however, have an opinion on non-specialists rebutting the work of career scientists, particularly when the rebuttal is mired in misconception and misinformation. I do have an opinion on one-line arguments (like "Does NOT initiate the warming therefore AGW theory must be wrong because it works on the premise CO2 DOES initiate the warming.") that claim to debunk the primary findings of hundreds of scientists. My opinion is that such arguments are essentially crackpottery and do not belong here.
Your nose out of joint because your statistical consensus comment was shown to be wrong or something? Or is there another reason you are producing these strawmen?

I wasn't debating with hundreds of scientists I was pointing out a fundamental logical fallacy in Skyhunter's argument as you well know.

Oh and btw when in the same sentence Skyhunter talked of CO2 and 6-7 Gt I do not think it was unreasonable of me to assume he was still talking about CO2 :rolleyes:.

Art said:
If you want a thread specific to AIDS then why not start one?

I may be wrong but I read it as the originator of this thread wanted to highlight UN mendacity which seems a perfectly reasonable topic for discussion.

Mmm... so less money for AIDS program but more effort on AGW was the potential outcome of this latest admittance of past gross overestimation?

I may be a bit naive about AIDS or AGW but one thing is clear:
the people who are going to lose out amid these political storms are probably AIDS sufferers in Africa, AND small countries in low-lying areas (if AGW is somewhat true). It will probably not affect us just yet, so perhaps the mentality of those self-centered ppl is that,
"well, if it is not going to affect us soon, why worry yet?! It is not *our* problem really, so why waste resources to fix others' problems?!" OR "problem is not that bad, even if it is, we can only do so much, so why bother?!"

People often just care about their own well-being, but not realising that sometimes your well-being may transpire into others' suffering. :frown:

Gokul43201 said:
I have little opinion on how good the science is and whether the IPCC is doing a fair job of communicating it to us (if anything, I'm skeptical on both counts). I've also got no opinion on what should be done if what they say is true. I have not expressed any opinion on these matters.

I do however, have an opinion on non-specialists rebutting the work of career scientists, particularly when the rebuttal is mired in misconception and misinformation. I do have an opinion on one-line arguments (like "Does NOT initiate the warming therefore AGW theory must be wrong because it works on the premise CO2 DOES initiate the warming.") that claim to debunk the primary findings of hundreds of scientists. My opinion is that such arguments are essentially crackpottery and do not belong here. And that's all I'm tackling in my posts.
Fair enough, although there are climate scientists with very good data that is not being considered because it is not politically correct, and this concerns me. Shouldn't we be looking at all the data, even if it goes against what we want to believe?

Personally I'm more concerned about the human desire to take things into their own hands and go charging ahead without really knowing what they are doing and oblivious of the long term consequences.

So, I'll then ask Skyhunter. Let's assume you are correct, what are you suggesting we do?

Last edited:
Evo said:
G
Here in the midwest we are experiencing cooler than normal temperatures, late spring freezes, today is the coldest Thanksgiving in 12 years. Crops this year were devasted by unusual cold and unusual late freezes.

I'm really curious what you think is the answer.

I think this has something to do with El Nino and La Nina. I remember back in the 97/98 school year everybody's science project was about this "El Nino" thing that was on the news all the time. It was an exceptionally warm year, and I think global warming alarmists named 98 as being the hottest year on record. I'm not sure if that's true, but it doesn't matter, what matters is that El Nino and La Nina happen at regular intervals. El Nino is when it's hot, and it's followed by a La Nina which is cold. 97/98 school year was very warm, while the 98/99 school year was insanely cold.

Wiki
El Niño-Southern Oscillation (ENSO) is a global coupled ocean-atmosphere phenomenon. The Pacific ocean signatures, El Niño and La Niña are important temperature fluctuations in surface waters of the tropical Eastern Pacific Ocean. The name El Niño, from the Spanish for "the little boy", refers to the Christ child, because the phenomenon is usually noticed around Christmas time in the Pacific Ocean off the west coast of South America.[1] La Niña, similarly, means "the little girl".[2] Their effect on climate in the southern hemisphere is profound. These effects were first described in 1923 by Sir Gilbert Thomas Walker from whom the Walker circulation, an important aspect of the Pacific ENSO phenomenon, takes its name. The atmospheric signature, the Southern Oscillation (SO) reflects the monthly or seasonal fluctuations in the air pressure difference between Tahiti and Darwin. The most recent occurrence of El Niño started in September 2006[3] and lasted until early 2007.[4]. From June 2007 on, data indicated a weak La Niña event.
ENSO conditions seem to have occurred at every two to seven years for at least the past 300 years, but most of them have been weak.

Major ENSO events have occurred in the years 1790-93, 1828, 1876-78, 1891, 1925-26, 1982-83, and 1997-98.[15]

Recent El Niños have occurred in 1986-1987, 1991-1992, 1993, 1994, 1997-1998, 2002-2003, 2004-2005 and 2006-2007.

The El Niño of 1997 - 1998 was particularly strong [16] and brought the phenomenon to worldwide attention. The event temporarilly warmed air temperature by 3°F, compared to the usual increase of 0.5°F associated with El Niño events[17]. The period from 1990-1994 was unusual in that El Niños have rarely occurred in such rapid succession (but were generally weak). There is some debate as to whether global warming increases the intensity and/or frequency of El Niño episodes. (see also the ENSO and Global Warming section above).

Remembering stuff from childhood is cool :wink:

Last edited:
Art said:
Your nose out of joint because your statistical consensus comment was shown to be wrong or something? Or is there another reason you are producing these strawmen?
He was responding to a question I asked.

Evo said:
He was responding to a question I asked.
Pity he didn't just answer your question instead of taking a poke at me :biggrin:

Art said:
I guess it must be a strawman to show that your number for volcanic production was off by a factor of a few hundred or to show that your math for adding up the total anthropogenic input to atmospheric CO2 was switching back an forth between different units and hence ending up with the wrong answer.

Furthermore, your quote from a free market advocacy site says:

There are legitimate difficulties with the IPCC's 90 per cent confidence in anthropogenic warming. It is not ludicrous to question what that number means. The IPCC seems to imply that this number results from a scientific process -that it has tested a hypothesis. Indeed, the IPCC tells us its understanding is based "upon large amounts of new and more comprehensive data, more sophisticated analysis of data, improvements in understanding of processes and their simulation in models, and more extensive exploration of uncertainty ranges". If this is what the IPCC has done, it has very weak evidence. Ninety per cent is the weakest acceptable level of confidence in a hypothesis test. It is not clear from the Summary whether the IPCC has, in fact, undertaken such an analysis. It is more likely that it has neither a testable model nor data available for external researchers to replicate such a test.
All this says is that they found little evidence to support an assertion that the confidence interval is an outcome of rigorous hypothesis testing. The following lines are their opinion on what they think is more likely.

I myself am skeptical of the rigor involved in arriving at the significance level, but nothing in your quote shows I'm wrong. Also, the second of the bolded sentences completely misses the point and goes about attacking a strawman. In any case, there's definitely nothing there to show that thie number was just pulled out of thin air.

I wasn't debating with hundreds of scientists I was pointing out a fundamental logical fallacy in Skyhunter's argument as you well know.
Didn't sound that way, but I accept that is possible. Nevertheless, you have attempted "debunkings" of published articles in other threads.

Oh and btw when in the same sentence Skyhunter talked of CO2 and 6-7 Gt I do not think it was unreasonable of me to assume he was still talking about CO2 :rolleyes:.
Of course he was talking about CO2. Are you not aware that CO2 volumes are commonly reported using carbon equivalents? Even the article you linked a couple posts ago uses these units! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Evo said:
So, I'll then ask Skyhunter. Let's assume you are correct, what are you suggesting we do?

It is already being done. Targets to reduce GHG emissions 80% by 2050 are already being set. Cities are adapting planning strategies to meet the targets. Automobile manufacturers are developing more efficient technologies, and policy makers everywhere are considering the climate impact of decisions. Already local governments are halting the development of dirty energy and industry is responding.

The debate is essentially over as to whether or not human activity, primarily through GHG emissions is influencing climate. The biggest surprise surrounding the release of the Synthesis report is that the expected political opposition dissipated. The people who needed to be convinced are.

What I am doing personally to reduce my carbon footprint is to eat locally organic food, use a bicycle or public transportation for 99% of my needs, conserve energy at home, and engage in local politics. I also build green and volunteer with a few select non profits to promote localization of resources.

Many of the things I am doing now will become mainstream in the near future.

The full effect of the increased radiative forcing from increased GHGs will not be realized for decades as the thermal inertia of the oceans and cryosphere is overcome. The glaciers could very well continue melting for centuries. Increasing CO2 by 30% is no small thing, it's effects will be felt for a long time to come.

But I will make this prediction. In five years, there will be little doubt that the planet is experiencing an unusual warming trend. We are currently at the start of an upward trend in the 11 year solar cycle that is predicted to be stronger than any since the late 50's. I anticipate that 3 of the next five years will set global records for temperature.

But I am just a carpenter, read the last chapter of the synthesis report, or if you are ambitious, read the http://arch.rivm.nl/env/int/ipcc/pages_media/AR4-chapters.html"

Gokul43201 said:
I guess it must be a strawman to show that your number for volcanic production was off by a factor of a few hundred or to show that your math for adding up the total anthropogenic input to atmospheric CO2 was switching back an forth between different units and hence ending up with the wrong answer.
Please provide an example of me switching back and forth between units.

Gokul43201 said:
Furthermore, your quote from a free market advocacy site says:

All this says is that they found little evidence to support an assertion that the confidence interval is an outcome of rigorous hypothesis testing. The following lines are their opinion on what they think is more likely.

I myself am skeptical of the rigor involved in arriving at the significance level, but nothing in your quote shows I'm wrong. Also, the second of the bolded sentences completely misses the point and goes about attacking a strawman. In any case, there's definitely nothing there to show that thie number was just pulled out of thin air.
Did you even read the second reference I supplied to support my contention?? It provided a good level of detail on the methodology they used and where it fell down. Or then again maybe you did but choose not to mention it as it undermines what you've just said. You know there's no harm in admitting when you make a mistake. When I was wrong in the figure I quoted for volcano emission I held my hands up immediately. It's not that hard :smile:

Gokul43201 said:
Didn't sound that way, but I accept that is possible. Nevertheless, you have attempted "debunkings" of published articles in other threads.
Really? Perhaps you'd be kind enough to show me a few examples or retract this remark as the only time I post in the science section of this forum is to ASK for information not to impart it.

Gokul43201 said:
Of course he was talking about CO2. Are you not aware that CO2 volumes are commonly reported using carbon equivalents? Even the article you linked a couple posts ago uses these units! :rolleyes:
Actually I thought we had established he wasn't talking about CO2 the figure he provided was for Carbon. In fact it was me thinking he was talking about CO2 that led to the confusion. You'll note carbon even has a different chemical symbol C :rolleyes: and I'm surprised Skyhunter didn't simply correct my misunderstanding when I first politely queried it.

Got to go.

Thanks everyone for the lively discussion.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Art said:
Please provide an example of me switching back and forth between units.
I'm tired of this. You got the wrong answer because you took Sky's number, which was in carbon equivalents, and compared it with a number that was on CO2 volumes.

Did you even read the second reference I supplied to support my contention?? It provided a good level of detail on the methodology they used and where it fell down.
No, I hadn't read that. I have now read it, and more importantly, I've read the Guidance Report thingy of the IPCC - my immediate reaction is that it reads nothing like serious scientific reporting and looks more like it was cooked up by policymakers. I'm appalled! My hands are up for now, but I still contend that the comparison you made is stretching the point. There must be hundreds of published papers in the field where the confidence intervals are rigorously calculated (I've seen this in the only few papers I've fully read).

Really? Perhaps you'd be kind enough to show me a few examples or retract this remark as the only time I post in the science section of this forum is to ASK for information not to impart it.
This was not in the science section. I recall a thread in P&WA, and the paper was related to the Urban Heat Island data. I'm sure you remember it.

Actually I thought we had established he wasn't talking about CO2 the figure he provided was for Carbon. You'll note it even has a different chemical symbol C :rolleyes: and I'm surprised Skyhunter didn't simply correct my misunderstanding when I first politely queried it.
That's why I politely corrected it soon after. :smile:

Evo said:
McKitrick is an Environmental Economist and is not a "blogger" anymore than the realclimate people are bloggers. His work in discrediting the "Hockey Stick" graph by Mann is world renown.
He did not discredit the "Hockey Stick", except in his own mind and in the minds of denialists. The "Hockey Stick" is accepted as a valid reconstruction and is still included along with other independent reconstructions in the 4AR. The "Hockey Stick" was validated by the NAS and the NRC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockey_stick_controversy"
More recently, the National Academy of Sciences considered the matter. On June 22, 2006, the Academy released a pre-publication version of its report Report-Surface Temperature Reconstructions for the Last 2,000 Years,[27] supporting Mann's more general assertion regarding the last decades of the Twentieth Century, but showing less confidence in his assertions regarding individual decades or years, due to the greater uncertainty at that level of precision.

"The basic conclusion of Mann et al. (1998, 1999) was that the late 20th century warmth in the Northern Hemisphere was unprecedented during at least the last 1,000 years. This conclusion has subsequently been supported by an array of evidence that includes ...
Based on the analyses presented in the original papers by Mann et al. and this newer supporting evidence, the committee finds it plausible that the Northern Hemisphere was warmer during the last few decades of the 20th century than during any comparable period over the preceding millennium. The substantial uncertainties currently present in the quantitative assessment of large-scale surface temperature changes prior to about A.D. 1600 lower our confidence in this conclusion compared to the high level of confidence we place in the Little Ice Age cooling and 20th century warming. Even less confidence can be placed in the original conclusions by Mann et al. (1999) that "the 1990s are likely the warmest decade, and 1998 the warmest year, in at least a millennium" because the uncertainties inherent in temperature reconstructions for individual years and decades are larger than those for longer time periods, and because not all of the available proxies record temperature information on such short timescales." [28]

At the request of the U.S. Congress, a special "Committee on Surface Temperature Reconstructions for the Past 2,000 Years" was assembled by the National Research Council's Board on Atmospheric Sciences and Climate. The Committee consisted of 12 scientists from different disciplines and was tasked with explaining the current scientific information on the temperature record for the past two millennia, and identifying the main areas of uncertainty, the principal methodologies used, any problems with these approaches, and how central the debate is to the state of scientific knowledge on global climate change.

The panel published its report in 2006.[29] The report agreed that there were statistical shortcomings in the MBH analysis, but concluded that they were small in effect. The report summarizes its main findings as follows:[30]

* The instrumentally measured warming of about 0.6 °C (1.1 °F) during the 20th century is also reflected in borehole temperature measurements, the retreat of glaciers, and other observational evidence, and can be simulated with climate models.
* Large-scale surface temperature reconstructions yield a generally consistent picture of temperature trends during the preceding millennium, including relatively warm conditions centered around A.D. 1000 (identified by some as the “Medieval Warm Period”) and a relatively cold period (or “Little Ice Age”) centered around 1700. The existence and extent of a Little Ice Age from roughly 1500 to 1850 is supported by a wide variety of evidence including ice cores, tree rings, borehole temperatures, glacier length records, and historical documents. Evidence for regional warmth during medieval times can be found in a diverse but more limited set of records including ice cores, tree rings, marine sediments, and historical sources from Europe and Asia, but the exact timing and duration of warm periods may have varied from region to region, and the magnitude and geographic extent of the warmth are uncertain.
* It can be said with a high level of confidence that global mean surface temperature was higher during the last few decades of the 20th century than during any comparable period during the preceding four centuries. This statement is justified by the consistency of the evidence from a wide variety of geographically diverse proxies.
* Less confidence can be placed in large-scale surface temperature reconstructions for the period from A.D. 900 to 1600. Presently available proxy evidence indicates that temperatures at many, but not all, individual locations were higher during the past 25 years than during any period of comparable length since A.D. 900. The uncertainties associated with reconstructing hemispheric mean or global mean temperatures from these data increase substantially backward in time through this period and are not yet fully quantified.
* Very little confidence can be assigned to statements concerning the hemispheric mean or global mean surface temperature prior to about A.D. 900 because of sparse data coverage and because the uncertainties associated with proxy data and the methods used to analyze and combine them are larger than during more recent time periods.

In response, a group-authored post on RealClimate, of which Mann is one of the contributors, stated, "the panel has found reason to support the key mainstream findings of past research, including points that we have highlighted previously."[31] Similarly, according to Roger A. Pielke, Jr., the National Research Council publication constituted a "near-complete vindication for the work of Mann et al.";[32] Nature (journal) reported it as "Academy affirms hockey-stick graph."[33]

According to Hans von Storch, Eduardo Zorita[34] and Jesus Rouco,[35] reviewing the NAS report on McIntyre's blog ClimateAudit, "With respect to methods, the committee is showing reservations concerning the methodology of Mann et al. The committee notes explicitly on pages 91 and 111 that the method has no validation (CE) skill significantly different from zero. In the past, however, it has always been claimed that the method has a significant nonzero validation skill. Methods without a validation skill are usually considered useless."[36] It was noted by their critics, however, that no such statement, explicit or implicit, is present on the two pages cited[37]; the closest the report comes being a statement that "Some recent results reported in Table 1S of Wahl and Ammann (in press) indicate that their reconstruction, which uses the same procedure and full set of proxies used by Mann et al. (1999), gives CE values ranging from 0.103 to -0.215, depending on how far back in time the reconstruction is carried."[38]

However, CE is not the only measure of skill; Mann et al. (1998) used the more traditional "RE" score, which, unlike CE, accounts for the fact that time series change their mean value over time. The statistically significant reconstruction skill in the Mann et al. reconstruction is independently supported in the peer-reviewed literature.[39][40]
It is not accurate to claim that MM2003, discredits MBH1999. McKitrick and McIntyre do not add to the body of scientific knowledge by providing original research, they are focused entirely on trying to tear apart and discredit the work of others for political reasons. And that is obvious to anyone without a bias who reads their website.

Evo said:
The IPCC is political, not scientific. They take work from various scientists then chew up and disgorge a politically correct version written up by non-scientists. This is why so many scientists have resigned and refused to have their work misinterpreted by politically driven non-scientists.

That is a gross misrepresentation of the IPCC.

MANDATE
The IPCC was established to provide the decision-makers and others interested in climate change with an objective source of information about climate change. The IPCC does not conduct any research nor does it monitor climate related data or parameters. Its role is to assess on a comprehensive, objective, open and transparent basis the latest scientific, technical and socio-economic literature produced worldwide relevant to the understanding of the risk of human-induced climate change, its observed and projected impacts and options for adaptation and mitigation. IPCC reports should be neutral with respect to policy, although they need to deal objectively with policy relevant scientific, technical and socio economic factors. They should be of high scientific and technical standards, and aim to reflect a range of views, expertise and wide geographical coverage.

WHO WE ARE
The IPCC is a scientific intergovernmental body set up by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) and by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP). Its constituency is made of :

• The governments: the IPCC is open to all member countries of WMO and UNEP. Governments of participate in plenary Sessions of the IPCC where main decisions about the IPCC workprogramme are taken and reports are accepted, adopted and approved. They also participate the review of IPCC Reports.

• [8]The scientists: hundreds of scientists all over the world contribute to the work of the IPCC as authors, contributors and reviewers.
  • The people: as United Nations body, the IPCC work aims at the promotion of the United Nations human development goals

WHY THE IPCC WAS CREATED

Climate change is a very complex issue: policymakers need an objective source of information about the causes of climate change, its potential environmental and socio-economic consequences and the adaptation and mitigation options to respond to it. This is why WMO and UNEP established the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) in 1988.

The IPCC is a scientific body: the information it provides with its reports is based on scientific evidence and reflects existing viewpoints within the scientific community. The comprehensiveness of the scientific content is achieved through contributions from experts in all regions of the world and all relevant disciplines including, where appropriately documented, industry literature and traditional practices, and a two stage review process by experts and governments.

Because of its intergovernmental nature, the IPCC is able to provide scientific technical and socio-economic information in a policy-relevant but policy neutral way to decision makers. When governments accept the IPCC reports and approve their Summary for Policymakers, they acknowledge the legitimacy of their scientific content.

The IPCC provides its reports at regular intervals and they immediately become standard works of reference, widely used by policymakers, experts and students. The findings of the first IPCC Assessment Report of 1990 played a decisive role in leading to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), which was opened for signature in the Rio de Janeiro Summit in 1992 and entered into force in 1994. It provides the overall policy framework for addressing the climate change issue. The IPCC Second Assessment Report of 1995 provided key input for the negotiations of the Kyoto Protocol in 1997 and the Third Assessment Report of 2001 as well as Special and Methodology Reports provided further information relevant for the development of the UNFCCC and the Kyoto Protocol. The IPCC continues to be a major source of information for the negotiations under the UNFCCC.

The reviewers are not politicians. They are scientists. And the political influence has been strongly against AGW, which has resulted in very conservative language in the final assessment reports. The fourth and final installment of the 4AR, the Synthesis Report, was the first time that the political opposition to the language dissipated. The Bali conference will hopefully result in a comprehensive agreement that addresses all the shortcomings of Kyoto. I expect to see China and India to not get a free pass this time, and for the US to ratify the new treaty.

The simple truth is that CO2 because of it's molecular shape and vibrational modes, absorbs infrared in a portion of the spectrum not covered by water vapor, and in the absence of water vapor will absorb ~ 33% - 36% of the LW radiation emitted by the Earth. If there is any valid debate, it is centered around how the climate will respond to this increased forcing. The problem is that the deniers are not engaged in honest debate, They are using disinformation and ad hominem attacks against individual scientists and the IPCC.

There is not a single scientific foundation that disputes the conclusions of the IPCC. All of the opposition is coming from a handful of individual scientists, whose numbers are diminishing every year.

[Edit] Here is the http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/ipcc-principales/ipcc-principales-appendix-a.pdf"

Government reviewers are not necessarily experts. I assume this is where the "IPCC is political not scientific" claim stems from. These government appointed reviewers work alongside expert reviewers to generate comments that are then submitted to the relevant working group and lead authors. The reviewers do not write the final reports, they review and the language, offer comments, and finally agree, unanimously on the final language.

Evo said:

According to http://mrcc.sws.uiuc.edu/cliwatch/0710/climwatch.0710.htm" the climate has been warmer than usual. Although it does seem that the extremes were more the rule than the exception this year.

http://mrcc.sws.uiuc.edu/cliwatch/0701/climwatch.0701.htm" moderately warmer than normal.
http://mrcc.sws.uiuc.edu/cliwatch/0702/climwatch.0702.htm#" much colder than normal.
http://mrcc.sws.uiuc.edu/cliwatch/0703/climwatch.0703.htm#" starts cold but ends warmer on average across the region.
http://mrcc.sws.uiuc.edu/cliwatch/0704/climwatch.0704.htm" colder than normal.
http://mrcc.sws.uiuc.edu/cliwatch/0704/climwatch.0705.htm" moderately warmer.
http://mrcc.sws.uiuc.edu/cliwatch/0704/climwatch.0704.htm" temperatures varied with precipitation, but the general trend was warmer than normal.
http://mrcc.sws.uiuc.edu/cliwatch/0704/climwatch.0704.htm" was colder and drier than normal.
http://mrcc.sws.uiuc.edu/cliwatch/0708/climwatch.0708.htm" was warmer with some sweltering heat that broke records.
http://mrcc.sws.uiuc.edu/cliwatch/0708/climwatch.0708.htm" was warm and dry or cool and wet. Temperature for the month averages out to normal to slightly warmer.
http://mrcc.sws.uiuc.edu/cliwatch/0708/climwatch.0708.htm" was warmer than usual as well.

Something to keep in mind is that local climate is not indicative of the global conditions. In general however the northern latitudes will experience more warming than the tropics and more frequent extremes of weather will result from increased radiative forcing. There is nothing in the climate record for the Midwest that suggests that the Earth is not becoming unusually warm.

Gokul43201 said:
No, I hadn't read that. I have now read it, and more importantly, I've read the Guidance Report thingy of the IPCC - my immediate reaction is that it reads nothing like serious scientific reporting and looks more like it was cooked up by policymakers. I'm appalled! My hands are up for now, but I still contend that the comparison you made is stretching the point. There must be hundreds of published papers in the field where the confidence intervals are rigorously calculated (I've seen this in the only few papers I've fully read).

The Synthesis report is written for policymakers, not by policymakers. Although there are government reviewers who are not necessarily experts. The Synthesis report combines the first three assessments and like them is intended for a non scientific readership. It is however an accurate assessment of the current level of scientific understanding. Which is not as comprehensive as I would like to see, but still comprehensive enough to warrant the actions that are currently being taken, and will probably be taken at the upcoming Bali summit.

BTW - thanks for clarifying the difference between carbon emissions and carbon dioxide equivalents.

Art,

Your source says this:
Overall, a natural disturbance causing the recent CO2 rise is extremely unlikely.

You are a smart guy. Land use changes are accounted for in the estimate of human emissions. You now know that volcanoes are less than 1% of human emissions. Now I know I have a confirmation bias, everyone does, it is natural. But when one of my assumptions turns out to be seriously in error, I question all related assumptions.

Maybe, since you thought that volcanic origins of CO2 were significant, and now know that they are not, perhaps you will review some of your other assumptions made while trying to confirm in your mind that AGW must be wrong since it is costing you money.

Andre said:
All

The last post of Skyhunter shows how the brain washing of the warmers work.

The hockeystick showed in fact one tree ring proxy only, the strip-barked Sheep mountain bristlecone pine, which showed unusual growth in the last century. Al other records were highly suppressed due to the akward methods of Mann et al. This unusual growth has likely to do with the mutulation of the bark and the tree adapting. The Idso's introduced these records in a AGU meeting in 1993, stressing that those were unuseable for climate reconstructions. One of the authors of the hockeystick was present at that meeting. Perhaps that gave him an idea.

meanwhile a reconstruction has been done with regular bristlecone pines in the PhD thesis here:

http://www.geo.arizona.edu/Antevs/Th...ssertation.pdf

wrapped up by Steve McIntyre here:
http://www.climateaudit.org/?p=2371
showing that the hockeystick shape is completely gone

meanwhile there is a lot of activity around the new reconstruction of Craig Loehe without the treering proxies showing a strong Medieval Warm Period again, which was completely suppressed by the hockeystick.

http://www.ncasi.org/publications/Detail.aspx?id=3025
http://www.climateaudit.org/?p=2393

But skyhunter givers a nice demonstration of the warmers science, the desperate attempt to salvage the fraud.

Feel free to post this.

All the best

Andre

I wasn't sure if I should post this or not, but I wanted to rebut. So I felt I should post it in it'd entirety.

Here is a quick clarification.

1. http://www.geo.arizona.edu/Antevs/Th...ssertation.pdf
    The data for this reconstruction was from one small geographical area, the White Mountains in California. It is hardly a global representation. The author refuses to even discuss her thesis with Steve McIntyre.
  2. http://www.climateaudit.org/?p=2371
    Which makes this whole excercise by McIntyre one of no consequence. Just another example of Steve McIntyre's futile attempts to try and discredit Mann. I guess it works for him since he seems to make a good living doing nothing else.
  3. Then there is this paper http://www.ncasi.org/publications/Detail.aspx?id=3025 by Craig Leohe, published in Energy & Environment. Here is a critique by http://thatstrangeweather.blogspot.com/

In summary, this article is a poorly-described compilation of proxy data, with a conciseness in methodology that borders on farce. In the present form , it is unacceptable in any scientific journal that i am aware of. Though the approach is conceptually useful, it is not novel : the author himself acknowledges that Moberg (2005) and Viau (2006) have left out tree-rings from some parts of their reconstruction before. So what is new here ? It can only be the methodology. We have shown that its elliptic nature is naive at best, misleading at worse. Even with all the good will in the world, it is hard to grant the author the benefit of the doubt, given how loosely he handles his references and prose : this simply is not credible work. The author's argument that his “strategy in writing this was to make it as short as possible to avoid complications during review” is distinctly unconvincing. Why not, then, bypass the whole ‘methods’ section, and simply give us a curve without any explanation ? Brevity is the soul of wit, yes - but when crucial information is missing, this “science” has an odd scent of disinformation.

That is all I have time for today.

Personally, from everything I've read, I think global warming is one of the biggest shams ever put forth onto humanity, and is nothing more than a way for the governments of the UN to try and control societies, and to promote fearmongering.

And to say that the "denialists" are engaged in dishonest argument I think is very unfair. The people promoting global warming are the ones I have seen utilizing the constant fearmongering, and psychological tactics (the poor lovable, cuddly furry polar bears and penguins are in danger!), etc...I see very little ad hominem attacks put against global warming believers (not saying they do not exist though).

And one other thing, remember consensus is not what you go by in science (not that there is necessarilly any consensus on the idea of human-induced global warming). That's also not to say that if there is a consensus on something, you just merely ignore it. If there's a consensus on something and you're information or data disagrees with the consensus, you obviously want to research the topic more. But consensus by no means ends the debate automatically.

As for Mann and the Hockey Stick graph, I don't have the particular source with me at the moment as I read about it in the library, but the Hockey Stick was discredited long ago and the National Academy of Sciences didn't exactly support the Hockey Stick in the way people make out. I don't have enough information with me to explain this though, but IMO look into it more.

WheelsRCool said:
As for Mann and the Hockey Stick graph, I don't have the particular source with me at the moment as I read about it in the library, but the Hockey Stick was discredited long ago and the National Academy of Sciences didn't exactly support the Hockey Stick in the way people make out. I don't have enough information with me to explain this though, but IMO look into it more.

Here is a http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2005/02/dummies-guide-to-the-latest-hockey-stick-controversy/"

Here is the http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=11676#toc"

Feel free to look into it more thoroughly, I already have.

Back