Unbounded perturbed geometry due to analyticity

• Thread starter CharlesJQuarra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary: This is not to say that there is no way to achieve a perturbed metric with this form, it's just that it's not straightforward. For a more detailed explanation please see this paper:In summary, the Ansatz for a gravitational wave perturbation of the metric h_{\mu \nu} that is nonzero near an axis of background flat Minkowski spacetime has the form g_{\mu \nu} = \eta_{\mu \nu} + h_{\mu \nu}, and has the property that h^{\mu}_{\mu}=0. However, the Transverse-Traceless gauge is not consistent with this form, because nontrivial derivatives of t and
CharlesJQuarra
I have a certain Ansatz for a gravitational wave perturbation of the metric [itex]h_{\mu \nu}[/itex] that is nonzero near an axis of background flat Minkowski spacetime

The Ansatz has the following form:

[itex]
g_{\mu \nu} = \eta_{\mu \nu} + h_{\mu \nu} = \begin{bmatrix} -1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 + V(x,y,t) & U(x,y,t) & 0 \\ 0 & U(x,y,t) & 1 -V(x,y,t) & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix}
[/itex]

The Ansatz has the following property:

[itex]h^{\mu}_{\mu}=0[/itex]

I want the Ansatz to be also in the Transverse-Traceless gauge, which implies

[itex]\partial_{\mu} h^{\mu \nu} = 0[/itex]

When I apply this condition on the Ansatz, I'm left with two nontrivial conditions:

[itex]\frac{\partial U}{\partial x}= \frac{\partial V}{\partial y}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\partial U}{\partial y}=- \frac{\partial V}{\partial x}[/itex]

Oh by Thor Almighty! these are the Cauchy-Riemann equations!

Now, is well known that *analytic complex functions are either constant or unbounded*.I am trying to interpret this correctly:

The Ansatz geometry does not seem to be able to become asymptotically Minkowski, if one asks that the metric is in the Transverse-Traceless gauge. For any far away region from the [itex]x=0, y=0[/itex] axis, [itex]h_{\mu \nu}[/itex] will become larger in magnitude than [itex]\eta_{\mu \nu}[/itex], which seems that is not our linear regime anymore, and would produce some large deformations
Is there an intuitive reason why the Transverse-Traceless gauge is not consistent with a perturbed metric that has this form? what if I would've tried a compact set, bounded on [itex]z[/itex] as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't describe your ansatz as a gravitational wave. Gravitational waves are transverse, so if the perturbations to the metric are in the x and y elements, it needs to propagate in the z direction, and therefore U and V need to depend on z. In fact, they need to depend on the quantity z-t or z+t.

Hi Ben,

True, I've should've added it explicitly. In any case the fact that the only nontrivial perturbation components are on the [itex]xx[/itex], [itex]xy[/itex], [itex]yx[/itex] and [itex]yy[/itex] means that derivatives of [itex]t[/itex] and [itex]z[/itex] do not show up in the gauge conditions [itex]\partial_{\mu} h^{\mu \nu} = 0[/itex].

The issue is that, for example, I cannot have the [itex]h_{ij}[/itex] fields orthogonal to [itex]z[/itex] propagation to vanish after a maximum width (like it would be the case for example, with a Gaussian beam), because the holomorphic nature of the non-trivial gauge conditions, forces these components to either be constant or become too large far away from the origin, even while one would've expected the functions to taper and become zero as we move away from the region with nontrivial fields, as we should be approaching Minkowski spacetime.

Related to Unbounded perturbed geometry due to analyticity

1. What is unbounded perturbed geometry due to analyticity?

Unbounded perturbed geometry due to analyticity is a concept in mathematics and physics that describes a geometric structure that is distorted or altered due to the presence of an analytic function or series. This can occur in various systems, such as in fluid dynamics or in the study of black holes.

2. What is meant by "unbounded" in unbounded perturbed geometry due to analyticity?

In this context, "unbounded" refers to a geometric structure that extends infinitely without any boundaries. This means that the effects of analyticity can have an infinite reach and can impact the entire structure.

3. How does analyticity affect unbounded perturbed geometry?

Analyticity can introduce distortions and changes to a geometric structure, leading to unbounded perturbations. These perturbations can have significant impacts on the behavior and properties of the system, and can often be difficult to predict or control.

4. What are some real-world applications of unbounded perturbed geometry due to analyticity?

Unbounded perturbed geometry due to analyticity has various applications in fields such as fluid dynamics, astrophysics, and quantum mechanics. It can be used to study the behavior of fluids in turbulent flows, understand the properties of black holes, and analyze the behavior of quantum systems.

5. How do scientists study unbounded perturbed geometry due to analyticity?

Scientists use mathematical models and simulations to study unbounded perturbed geometry due to analyticity. These models involve solving complex equations and analyzing the behavior of the system under various conditions. Experimental studies may also be conducted to validate the findings of these models.