Uncertainty in Radioactive Decay Dating Calculation

In summary, the conversation is about charred wood remains found in Conimbriga that have a Roman origin. The remnants were measured to have 10.8 disintegrations per second per gram of 14C activity, with a half-life of 5730 ± 30 years. The atmosphere and living matter have an activity of 13.5 disintegrations per second per gram of this isotope. The question is about calculating the uncertainty in dating due to the imprecision of 30 years in the half-life of 14C. The previous questions involved calculating the decay constant and the dating, and now the task is to use the propagation of errors formula to find the uncertainty, which is 10 years.
Granger

Homework Statement

Charred wood remains were found in Conimbriga, probably with Roman origin. When measured at 14C activity in these remnants, it afforded 10.8 disintegrations per second per gram. The half-processing 14C is 5730 ± 30 years and the activity of this isotope in the atmosphere and in living matter is 13.5 disintegrations per second per gram.

Calculate the uncertainty in dating, because of the imprecision of 30 years in the half-transformation of 14C.

Homework Equations

N = No x e^(-kt)
R = Ro x e^(-kt)

R is the activity
k is the decay constant

The Attempt at a Solution

So there were previous question, one was calculating k (k = 1.21 x 10^-4) and the other was for calculate the dating (1844 years).
But now I have to calculate the uncertainty of the dating I previously calculated.
So, I know I need to derivate and use the propagation of errors formula... But I'm having trouble to get to the right expression...
The right answer of the problem is 10 years.

THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
Granger said:
But now I have to calculate the uncertainty of the dating I previously calculated.
So, I know I need to derivate and use the propagation of errors formula... But I'm having trouble to get to the right expression...
Can you show your attempt?

1. What is radioactive decay uncertainty?

Radioactive decay uncertainty is the inherent uncertainty or randomness in the process of radioactive decay. It is impossible to predict exactly when a specific atom will decay, so scientists use statistical models to predict the rate of decay.

2. How is radioactive decay uncertainty measured?

Radioactive decay uncertainty is typically measured using half-life, which is the amount of time it takes for half of a sample of a radioactive material to decay. The longer the half-life, the more stable the material is and the lower the uncertainty.

3. Can radioactive decay uncertainty be reduced or eliminated?

No, radioactive decay uncertainty is an inherent property of radioactive materials and cannot be reduced or eliminated. However, scientists can minimize uncertainty by using larger sample sizes and conducting multiple experiments.

4. How does radioactive decay uncertainty affect scientific research?

Radioactive decay uncertainty can affect the accuracy and precision of experimental results, as well as the reliability of predictions. It is important for scientists to consider and account for this uncertainty in their research and analysis.

5. Are there any applications of radioactive decay uncertainty?

Yes, radioactive decay uncertainty is used in a variety of fields, including radiocarbon dating, nuclear physics, and medical imaging. It is also important in nuclear power plants to ensure safe and efficient operation.