Uncertainty in wavelength and position

In summary: I think this is just a calculator error. It helps if you remember what @kuruman said in post 2 and simplify your expression for ##\Delta##x algebraicly before putting in numbers.
Saptarshi Sarkar
Homework Statement
Wavelengths can be measured with accuracies of one part in 10⁴. What is the uncertainty in the position of a 1A X-Ray photon when its wavelength is simultaneously measured?
Relevant Equations
##ΔxΔp>=\frac {\hbar} 2##
In my attempt to solve the problem, I used the formula for de-Broglie wavelength ##p=\frac h λ## and differentiated both sides to get ##Δp = \frac {hΔλ} {λ^2}##.

Plugging this equation into the Heisenberg's position and momentum uncertainty principle formula and calculating the minimum uncertainty in momentum, I got

##Δx=\frac {\hbarλ^2} {2hΔλ} = 7.96 × 10^{-22} m##

The solution looks toο small to me. I am not sure if the value of ##Δλ## is ##10^{-4}## which I used in the calculation. I am not quite sure what one part in ##10^4## means for the uncertainty in λ.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are given that ##\dfrac{\Delta \lambda}{\lambda}=\dfrac{1}{10^4}##. Did you use that in your equation for ##\Delta x##?

• Informative
Likes etotheipi and Saptarshi Sarkar
kuruman said:
You are given that ##\dfrac{\Delta \lambda}{\lambda}=\dfrac{1}{10^4}##. Did you use that in your equation for ##\Delta x##?

No, I used ##Δλ = 10^{-4}##. I was confused what accuracy of one part in ##10^4## meant.

The answer should be ##7.96 \times 10^{-12}m = 0.0796 A## then.

Thanks for the help!

Saptarshi Sarkar said:
Plugging this equation into the Heisenberg's position and momentum uncertainty principle formula and calculating the minimum uncertainty in momentum, I got

##Δx=\frac {\hbarλ^2} {2hΔλ} = 7.96 × 10^{-22} m##

The solution looks toο small to me. I am not sure if the value of ##Δλ## is ##10^{-4}## which I used in the calculation. I am not quite sure what one part in ##10^4## means for the uncertainty in λ.

I think you may have taken ##\Delta \lambda = 10^4m## there!

"One part in ##10^4##" means ##0.01 \%##

• Informative
Likes Saptarshi Sarkar
Saptarshi Sarkar said:
No, I used ##Δλ = 10^{-4}##. I was confused what accuracy of one part in ##10^4## meant.

The answer should be ##7.96 \times 10^{-12}m = 0.0796 A## then.

Thanks for the help!
Considering that this is an order of magnitude calculation, I would go with 0.08 A to one significant figure.

Likes Saptarshi Sarkar
Is it just me, or is anyone else getting ##10^4## larger?

Likes PeroK
Cutter Ketch said:
Is it just me, or is anyone else getting ##10^4## larger?

I agree, ##\lambda^2 = 10^{-20}m, \ \Delta \lambda = 10^{-14}m##, which leads to ##\approx \frac{1}{12} \times 10^{-6}m \approx 8 \times 10^{-8}m##

Likes Cutter Ketch
I think this is just a calculator error. It helps if you remember what @kuruman said in post 2 and simplify your expression for ##\Delta##x algebraicly before putting in numbers.

1. What is uncertainty in wavelength and position?

Uncertainty in wavelength and position refers to the limitations in accurately measuring the exact wavelength and position of a particle or wave due to the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics. This uncertainty is also known as the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.

2. How is uncertainty in wavelength and position calculated?

The uncertainty in wavelength and position is calculated using the equation ΔxΔp ≥ h/4π, where Δx represents the uncertainty in position, Δp represents the uncertainty in momentum, and h is Planck's constant.

3. What factors contribute to uncertainty in wavelength and position?

The uncertainty in wavelength and position is affected by the nature of the wave or particle being measured, as well as the measurement tools and techniques used. Additionally, the act of measuring the wavelength and position can also introduce uncertainty.

4. Can uncertainty in wavelength and position be completely eliminated?

No, uncertainty in wavelength and position is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and cannot be completely eliminated. However, it can be reduced by using more precise measurement techniques and equipment.

5. How does uncertainty in wavelength and position impact scientific research?

Uncertainty in wavelength and position has significant implications for scientific research, particularly in the field of quantum mechanics. It affects our understanding of the behavior of particles and waves, and can also impact the accuracy of experimental results and predictions.