Uncertainty of an oscilloscope frequency, read from the period

In summary: If you have a more complicated expression for f(t) then the derivative can still be used but the algebra is a bit more involved.In summary, the uncertainty for frequency (Δf) can be calculated using the derivative of frequency with respect to time (df/dt) multiplied by the uncertainty of the period (Δt). The value of t used in the derivative should be the measured value, not the uncertainty. The percent uncertainty in f is equal to the percent uncertainty in t.
zzzriprip
Homework Statement
Uncertainty for lab reports
Relevant Equations
T = 1/f
Hi, I am unsure of what uncertainty to get, so here is my full question: I used the CRO for an experiment, and since what I need is frequency, I read the period, so for the uncertainty of the period, it is the smallest division divided by two. So if my uncertainty for period is 0.001s, then what would be the uncertainty of the frequency? Do I need to use error propagation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes you do, but that is always true. So how do you approach this one?

hutchphd said:
Yes you do, but that is always true. So how do you approach this one?
Is it considered as a polynomial function? since f = 1/T, so f = t^-`1, thus df/dt = -1/t^2, and then do I just substitute t=0.001 into the equation to get the uncertainty?

zzzriprip said:
thus df/dt = -1/t^2
Right.
zzzriprip said:
do I just substitute t=0.001 into the equation to get the uncertainty?
No.
##\Delta f=\frac{df}{dt}\Delta t##.
The derivative needs to be evaluated using the value of t measured.

Likes zzzriprip and Delta2
zzzriprip said:
Is it considered as a polynomial function? since f = 1/T, so f = t^-`1, thus df/dt = -1/t^2, and then do I just substitute t=0.001 into the equation to get the uncertainty?
As @haruspex points out the 0.001s is Δt and you need to also put in t. If you do a little algebra on your result above you can show for this case the percent uncertainty in f will be the same as the percent uncertainty in t (i.e. Δt/t). That makes it easy to understand and use.

Likes zzzriprip and Delta2

1. What is the uncertainty of an oscilloscope frequency?

The uncertainty of an oscilloscope frequency is a measure of the potential error in the frequency reading obtained from the oscilloscope. It takes into account factors such as the accuracy of the oscilloscope's internal components and the precision of the measurement technique used.

2. How is the uncertainty of an oscilloscope frequency calculated?

The uncertainty of an oscilloscope frequency is typically calculated using the formula: uncertainty = (accuracy/error limit) x 100%. This takes into account the accuracy of the oscilloscope and the maximum allowable error in the frequency reading.

3. What factors can affect the uncertainty of an oscilloscope frequency?

Several factors can affect the uncertainty of an oscilloscope frequency, including the accuracy of the oscilloscope's internal components, the precision of the measurement technique used, and external factors such as environmental conditions and electrical interference.

4. How can I reduce the uncertainty of an oscilloscope frequency measurement?

The uncertainty of an oscilloscope frequency measurement can be reduced by using a more accurate oscilloscope, calibrating the oscilloscope before each measurement, and using a more precise measurement technique. It is also important to minimize external factors that can affect the measurement, such as electrical interference.

5. What is an acceptable level of uncertainty for an oscilloscope frequency measurement?

The acceptable level of uncertainty for an oscilloscope frequency measurement depends on the specific application and the required level of accuracy. In general, a lower uncertainty is desired, but it is important to consider the cost and feasibility of achieving a lower uncertainty level. It is also important to take into account the potential impact of the uncertainty on the overall accuracy of the measurement.