Unconventional capacitors connection

In summary: I think I see what you mean now by "two potential differences and the two electric charges are the same". Very nice job.
Drako Amorim

Homework Statement

Hello everyone. The problem is related to these two capacitor connections:
capc.jpg

In the enunciate it is said that these two are equivalent and it is requested to prove that:

1. C1=(CxCy+CyCz+CzCx)/Cx
  2. C2=(CxCy+CyCz+CzCx)/Cy
  3. C1=(CxCy+CyCz+CzCx)/Cz

Homework Equations

C=Q/Vab (Capacitance definition)

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem with the solution is that I do not know how to analyze them, because of the two potentials differences.

My progress:

It is seen that the two potential differences and the two electric charges are the same in the two arrangements, so I tried to isolate Vac and Vbc in function of the electric charges: to no avail.

I noticed that in the first image, the capacitor at the top will have an electric charge merged from the two originals, that I call q3, so the left capacitor will have a charge of q1 - q3 (or q1+q3?) and the another will have a charge of q2+q3(or q2-q3?), I believe of that order do not import.

Can you give me a light on how to do this? Sorry for my poor English, I'm not proficient.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-01-17-15-32-23.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-01-17-15-32-23.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 354
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Drako Amorim said:

Homework Statement

Hello everyone. The problem is related to these two capacitor connections:
View attachment 111748
In the enunciate it is said that these two are equivalent and it is requested to prove that:

1. C1=(CxCy+CyCz+CzCx)/Cx
  2. C2=(CxCy+CyCz+CzCx)/Cy
  3. C1=(CxCy+CyCz+CzCx)/Cz

Homework Equations

C=Q/Vab (Capacitance definition)

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem with the solution is that I do not know how to analyze them, because of the two potentials differences.

My progress:

It is seen that the two potential differences and the two electric charges are the same in the two arrangements, so I tried to isolate Vac and Vbc in function of the electric charges: to no avail.

I noticed that in the first image, the capacitor at the top will have an electric charge merged from the two originals, that I call q3, so the left capacitor will have a charge of q1 - q3 (or q1+q3?) and the another will have a charge of q2+q3(or q2-q3?), I believe of that order do not import.

Can you give me a light on how to do this? Sorry for my poor English, I'm not proficient.
The first configuration is a π (Pi) configuration, and the second is a "T" configuration. I think the best way to work with this is to express the capacitors as impedances. Figure out the math to make the input and output impedances the same, and the transfer functions the same.

You could also do it first for resistors, since the math is a bit simpler for resistors. Maybe try it with resistors and post your work here so we can comment? :smile:

Drako Amorim said:
I tried to isolate Vac and Vbc in function of the electric charges
Not sure what you mean by that.
You understand that the question is saying that whatever the voltages applied, if you apply the same voltages to both circuits you will see the same external charge flows, right?
What equations can you write for the two circuits?

Likes berkeman
Judging by the diagrams it occurs to me that this problem may originate in a course section studying 2-port networks. If that is the case there may be some benefit to investigating the so-called ABCD parameters.

I won't offer any further hints until @Drako Amorim returns to the thread to confirm.

gneill said:
Judging by the diagrams it occurs to me that this problem may originate in a course section studying 2-port networks. If that is the case there may be some benefit to investigating the so-called ABCD parameters.

I won't offer any further hints until @Drako Amorim returns to the thread to confirm.

This problem came from the twelfth edition Sears & Zemansky Electromagnetism, is one of the challenging problems. I think that I solved it and I will transcribe it, but I think that problem is unfair, because there's no 2-port network in the main text

Drako Amorim said:
This problem came from the twelfth edition Sears & Zemansky Electromagnetism, is one of the challenging problems. I think that I solved it and I will transcribe it, but I think that problem is unfair, because there's no 2-port network in the main text
Well there are several possible approaches to solving the problem as given. The 2-port network approach occurred to me as possibly being intended and likely comparatively efficient.

Redraw the Delta circuit for a Pi

1.jpg

And I conclude that:

Vac = (q1 - q3)/Cy
Vbc = (q2 + q3)/Cx

Vab = q3/Cz = Vac + Vcb = Vac - Vbc

q3/Cz = (q1 - q3)/Cy - (q2 + q3)/Cx

q3 (Cy Cz + Cx Cz + Cx Cy)/(Cx Cy Cz) = q1/Cy - q2/Cx

∴q3 = Cx Cy Cz / (CyCz + CxCz + Cx Cy) [q1/Cy - q2/Cx] ≡ K (q1/Cy - q2/Cx)

∴ ( I ): Vac = q1/Cy - K q1/Cy2 + K q2/(Cx Cy)
( II ): Vbc = q2/Cx + K q1/(CyCx) - K q2/(Cx2)

In the second circuit:

2.jpg

( III ): Vac = V1 + V3 = q1(1/C1 + 1/C3) + q2/C3

( IV ): Vbc = V2 + V3 = q1 (1/C3) + q2 (1/C2 + 1/C3)

Equalizing the coefficients:

( III ) = ( I ):

• 1/C3 = K/(Cx Cy) → C3 = (Cx Cy + Cy Cz + Cz Cx)/Cz
  • 1/C1 + 1/C3 = 1/Cy - K/Cy2 → C1 = (Cx Cy + Cy Cz + Cz Cx)/Cx
( VI ) = ( II ):

• 1/C2 + 1/C3 = 1/Cx - K/Cx2 → C2 = (Cx Cy + Cy Cz + Cz Cx)/Cy
As we wanted to prove.

Likes berkeman and gneill
Looks good.

1. How do unconventional capacitors differ from traditional capacitors?

Unconventional capacitors are different from traditional capacitors in terms of their design and materials used. Traditional capacitors typically use parallel plate configurations with a dielectric material in between, while unconventional capacitors can use different geometries and materials such as carbon nanotubes or graphene.

2. What are the advantages of using unconventional capacitors?

Unconventional capacitors offer several advantages over traditional capacitors. They can have higher energy storage capacity, faster charging and discharging rates, and can operate at higher temperatures. They also have the potential for smaller sizes and lighter weights.

3. Are there any limitations to using unconventional capacitors?

Like any technology, unconventional capacitors have their limitations. They may be more expensive to produce compared to traditional capacitors, and their performance can be affected by factors such as humidity and temperature fluctuations. They may also have lower breakdown voltages and shorter lifetimes.

4. How are unconventional capacitors connected?

The way unconventional capacitors are connected depends on their specific design and purpose. In some cases, they may be connected in parallel to increase the overall capacitance, while in others they may be connected in series to increase the voltage rating. It is important to carefully consider the connections to ensure optimal performance.

5. What are some potential applications of unconventional capacitors?

Unconventional capacitors have a wide range of potential applications. They can be used in energy storage systems, such as in electric vehicles or renewable energy systems. They can also be used in electronic devices, such as smartphones, to improve battery life and charging speed. Additionally, they have potential uses in medical devices, aerospace technology, and more.