Uncovering the Secrets of Water Slide Physics

In summary: Cost is important, but so is comfort. You want the rider to be happy and not suffer from pain or injury. "Ride" is an important factor, too: you don't want the rider to feel like they are being dragged down the slide.You start at the top, and let gravity propel the player.
Spiffyline153
TL;DR Summary
I'm a researcher hoping to look at some papers on the technical aspect of water physics on a water slide. Does anyone have resources or pointers for me?
I'm a researcher hoping to look at some papers on the technical aspect of water physics on a water slide. Does anyone have resources or pointers for me? Essentially, I'm trying to find the optimal amount of water needed to propel a passenger down a standard straight water slide, but I don't know where to start. Please help me out!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Spiffyline153 said:
Summary: I'm a researcher hoping to look at some papers on the technical aspect of water physics on a water slide. Does anyone have resources or pointers for me?

I'm a researcher hoping to look at some papers on the technical aspect of water physics on a water slide. Does anyone have resources or pointers for me? Essentially, I'm trying to find the optimal amount of water needed to propel a passenger down a standard straight water slide, but I don't know where to start. Please help me out!

Try a Google search on water slide hydrodynamics -- I got lots of good hits. Try that search and let us know what you find.

Likes russ_watters
Spiffyline153 said:
the optimal amount of water
I don’t know about water, but I do know about optimization. The first thing you will need is to decide on your metric for determining “optimal”. In your mind what makes one setting better than another?

Likes russ_watters
Dale said:
I don’t know about water, but I do know about optimization. The first thing you will need is to decide on your metric for determining “optimal”. In your mind what makes one setting better than another?
Good point. I did a Google search on Waterslide Accidents and got lots of hits. So "optimization" would seem to need some consideration of safety, not just maximum speed...

Spiffyline153 said:
Essentially, I'm trying to find the optimal amount of water needed to propel a passenger down a standard straight water slide, but I don't know where to start.
You start at the top, and let gravity propel the player.

Does the water propel the player in any way, or is it just there to lubricate and cool the contact surface. It is only when a player slows, that water will heap up behind them, and so push them forwards.

I would expect that water, in laminar flow on the slide surface, would be traveling slower than the player. If you sit in a kayak in the middle of a flowing river, you will see you are moving slightly faster down the river, than is the surface water.

Baluncore said:
you will see you are moving slightly faster down the river, than is the surface water.
It has been my experience that objects floating in water such as sticks, leaves, canoes and inner-tubers are more heavily influenced by the wind then by a propensity to slide down the slanted water surface.

However, I have not explored the mathematics of an idealized situation corresponding to flotation down a slow-moving river. Nor the idealized situation corresponding to a lubricated human snowplow on a radically steeper slope.

For high speed, I would intuit that you are looking to hydroplane. For safety, I would intuit that you are attempting to avoid that scenario due to the positive feedback that it entails.

jbriggs444 said:
It has been my experience that objects floating in water such as sticks, leaves, canoes and inner-tubers are more heavily influenced by the wind then by a propensity to slide down the slanted water surface.
Winds are important, but when it is dead calm, a boat travels faster downstream than sticks, leaves, rafts and inner-tubers, that have lower characteristic hull speeds and a greater relative displacement in the water.

Without paddling, a kayak will gradually accelerate to a speed slightly faster than other objects on the surface, especially when pointed downstream. That statement is based on long peaceful experience and observation, not on the armchair reasoning and scientific analysis, that agrees with the observations.

The external wind vector is less important on a water slide, since the velocity of the player generates an apparent headwind, with an air resistance determined by the player's drag profile. Considering the changes in slope, I doubt the slide would last long enough to establish an equilibrium.

berkeman said:
Good point. I did a Google search on Waterslide Accidents and got lots of hits. So "optimization" would seem to need some consideration of safety, not just maximum speed...
I can think of a couple of others: cost and comfort/"ride".

1. What is the science behind water slides?

Water slides involve the principles of gravity, friction, and fluid dynamics. When a person slides down a water slide, gravity pulls them towards the ground while friction between the person and the slide slows them down. The water on the slide reduces friction and allows the person to slide faster. The shape and design of the slide also play a role in the speed and trajectory of the slide.

2. How do water slides ensure safety?

Water slides are designed with safety in mind, using materials that are durable and can withstand the weight and force of multiple riders. They also have safety features such as padding, guard rails, and water jets to keep riders on the slide and prevent accidents. Water slides are also regularly inspected and maintained to ensure they are in good working condition.

3. What is the ideal angle for a water slide?

The ideal angle for a water slide is between 30-45 degrees. This angle allows for a smooth and fast ride while still maintaining control and avoiding dangerous speeds. Steeper angles may result in too much speed and can be unsafe, while shallower angles may result in a slower and less exciting ride.

4. How does water affect the speed of a water slide?

Water is essential for the functioning of a water slide. The water acts as a lubricant, reducing friction between the rider and the slide. This allows for a faster and smoother ride. The amount of water used also affects the speed of the slide. Too much water can cause the rider to lose control, while too little water can slow down the ride.

5. How do different body types affect the experience on a water slide?

Body types can affect the experience on a water slide in terms of speed and trajectory. Heavier individuals may experience a faster ride due to their weight, while lighter individuals may have a slower ride. Additionally, the shape and size of a person's body can also impact how they navigate the curves and turns of a water slide.