Uncovering the Truth: Jupiter's Core Revealed as Solid Diamond by Tammy Ma

In summary: And the core is not necessarily pure diamond, nor necessarily a perfect crystal if it is diamond. So I wouldn't be surprised if it's not a problem. I can't find any evidence that anyone in the field has considered the possibility you mention, so I don't know if it's a problem.
KevinMcHugh
TL;DR Summary
Title says it all.
In a recent Scientific American article, Tammy Ma claims Jupiters core is solid diamond. She claims her work with lasers has demonstrated this. Any thoughts?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
KevinMcHugh said:
In a recent Scientific American article, Tammy Ma claims Jupiters core is solid diamond. She claims her work with lasers has demonstrated this. Any thoughts?
My though is that when you ask about an article, you should post a link to the article.

Likes Dragrath, DaveE, berkeman and 1 other person
How do I do that, I'm an old fossil.

Likes hagopbul
KevinMcHugh said:
How do I do that, I'm an old fossil.
Go to the web page where you read this. Click-Drag to copy the address (starts with "http://" or similar) in the address bar of your browser, and paste it into a reply here.

Also, it's best if you can find where in the article they link to the original peer-reviewed article, please also post a copy of that link here. We prefer to read the original paper, rather than the popoular press' interpretation of the scientific paper. Thanks. :smile:

Likes Dragrath, Bystander, phinds and 1 other person
I read the same idea (diamond core of a gas giant) in a some Arthur C. Clarke book may years ago.
Doesn't make it science though.

Likes KevinMcHugh
BillTre said:
I read the same idea (diamond core of a gas giant) in a some Arthur C. Clarke book may years ago.
Doesn't make it science though.
Note, Tammy Ma is a reputable scientist, and the diamond core idea has been considered a possibility worth investigating by many in the field. But what I couldn’t find is any sign of new published evidence, nor of any general acceptance of the idea as anything more than a possibility.

Likes KevinMcHugh, phinds and BillTre
PAllen said:
Note, Tammy Ma is a reputable scientist, and the diamond core idea has been considered a possibility worth investigating by many in the field. But what I couldn’t find is any sign of new published evidence, nor of any general acceptance of the idea as anything more than a possibility.
How would a "diamond core" model reconcile with the measured gravity harmonics determined by NASA's Juno mission? As far as I can tell those models preclude a pure solid core as presumably needed for a crystalline latice.

Dragrath said:
How would a "diamond core" model reconcile with the measured gravity harmonics determined by NASA's Juno mission? As far as I can tell those models preclude a pure solid core as presumably needed for a crystalline latice.
This is not a field I know much about. I just did some internet searching because it seemed the OP wasn't going to. I found that the diamond core idea appeared to be taken seriously as a 'possibility' by many in the field, however I cannot speak to the specifics of your question.

I would expect that gravity is sufficient to deform even a solid core over long distances, just like everywhere else.

1. What evidence supports the claim that Jupiter's core is made of solid diamond?

The evidence comes from a study conducted by researcher Tammy Ma, who used advanced computer simulations to model the extreme pressure and temperature conditions within Jupiter's core. The simulations showed that the carbon present in the core would crystallize into diamond, providing strong evidence for the presence of a solid diamond core.

2. How does this discovery impact our understanding of Jupiter?

This discovery challenges previous theories about Jupiter's composition, which suggested that the planet's core was made of liquid metallic hydrogen. The presence of a solid diamond core could change our understanding of the planet's formation and evolution, as well as its internal structure and magnetic field.

3. Is it possible for us to physically access Jupiter's core to confirm this finding?

No, it is not currently possible for us to physically access Jupiter's core. The extreme pressure and temperature conditions within the planet make it impossible for any spacecraft or probe to survive. Therefore, scientists must rely on advanced simulations and observations to study the planet's interior.

4. Could other gas giant planets in our solar system have solid diamond cores?

It is possible that other gas giant planets, such as Saturn and Uranus, could also have solid diamond cores. However, further research and simulations would be needed to confirm this. It is also possible that different factors, such as composition and age, could affect the formation of a solid diamond core in these planets.

5. How does this finding contribute to our understanding of the universe?

This finding adds to our knowledge of the diverse and complex structures that can exist within planets and other celestial bodies. It also highlights the importance of computer simulations and advanced technology in uncovering the mysteries of the universe. This discovery could also have implications for our understanding of exoplanets and their potential for hosting life.