Can Undamped Natural Frequencies Be Complex Numbers?

In summary, the undamped natural frequencies of a three degree of freedom system can be complex numbers, which is not uncommon in systems with multiple modes of vibration. This can be caused by a combination of damping and stiffness, or interactions between different modes of vibration. Further investigation is recommended to understand the specific reasons for this result.
Frenchouille
Hello everybody,

I have a question about the undamped natural frequencies for a three degree of freedom system.

The equation of motion for the undamped system is :

M[tex]\ddot{x}[/tex]+K[tex]\dot{x}[/tex]=0

The undamped natural frequencies I found is a complex number : [tex]\omega[/tex]2=-187.29

Is this kind of result is possible? I'm surprised by the result I found since every time I've done a similar exercise before, the frequencies were always real numbers.

Thanks for your advices!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question. The result you found for the undamped natural frequencies of a three degree of freedom system is indeed possible. In fact, it is not uncommon for the natural frequencies of a system to be complex numbers. This can happen when the system has multiple modes of vibration, each with a different natural frequency.

In your equation of motion, the terms M and K represent the mass and stiffness matrices, respectively. When you solve for the natural frequencies, you are essentially finding the eigenvalues of these matrices. In a three degree of freedom system, there are three eigenvalues, each corresponding to a different mode of vibration.

In some cases, these eigenvalues may be complex numbers, which means that the corresponding natural frequencies will also be complex. This can happen when the system has a combination of damping and stiffness, or when there are multiple modes of vibration that interact with each other.

So, to answer your question, yes, it is possible for the undamped natural frequencies of a three degree of freedom system to be complex numbers. I would suggest further examining your system and its parameters to understand why this result occurred. I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

Related to Can Undamped Natural Frequencies Be Complex Numbers?

1. What is the definition of "undamped natural frequencies"?

Undamped natural frequencies refer to the specific frequencies at which a system or object will naturally oscillate without any external forces acting on it. These frequencies are determined by the mass, stiffness, and damping of the system.

2. How are undamped natural frequencies calculated?

Undamped natural frequencies can be calculated using the equation fn = (1/2π)√(k/m), where fn is the natural frequency, k is the stiffness of the system, and m is the mass of the system.

3. What is the significance of undamped natural frequencies?

Undamped natural frequencies are important in understanding the behavior and stability of a system. They can help determine the resonance of a system and the potential for destructive vibrations. Engineers and scientists use this information to design structures and objects that can withstand these frequencies.

4. Can undamped natural frequencies be changed?

Undamped natural frequencies are determined by the physical properties of a system and cannot be changed. However, they can be influenced by external forces, such as damping, which can alter the behavior of the system and potentially shift the natural frequencies.

5. How are undamped natural frequencies used in real-world applications?

Undamped natural frequencies are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as structural engineering, mechanical systems, and even musical instruments. Understanding the undamped natural frequencies of these systems helps engineers and designers ensure their stability and performance.