Frequency of damped vs. undamped oscillator

In summary: I am not sure how to reconcile that with the above equation without making assumptions about ##\beta## and ##n##.
Mindscrape

Homework Statement

If the amplitude of a damped oscillator decreases to 1/e of its initial value after n periods, show that the frequency of the oscillator must be approximately [1 - (8(π^2)(n^2))^-1] times the frequency of the corresponding undamped oscillator.

Homework Equations

Damped
[tex]m\ddot{x} + b \dot{x} + kx = 0[/tex]

Undamped
[tex]m\ddot{x} + kx = 0 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Rewrite the damped second order ODE as
[tex]\ddot{x} + 2\beta \dot{x} + \omega_0^2 x = 0[/tex]

where
[tex] \beta = \frac{b}{2m} [/tex]
[tex] \omega_0 = \sqrt{k/m}[/tex]

The undamped first order ODE can be written as
[tex] \ddot{x} + \omega_0^2 x = 0[/tex]

where
[tex] \omega_0 = \sqrt{k/m}[/tex]

The solution seems to depend on whether or not the damped oscillator has a complex solution or not, and the general solution will be:

[tex]x(t) = e^{-\beta t}[A_1 e^{\sqrt{\beta^2 - \omega_0^2}t} + A_2 e^{- \sqrt{\beta^2 - \omega_0^2}t}][/tex]

I guess I am supposed to assume that the discriminate will be negative and yield complex solutions, since the overdamped and critically damped cases will have at most one period.

Then see how the quasi-frequency of the undamped oscillator relates to the time constant, and further relate it to the angular frequency of the undamped oscillator?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Mindscrape said:
I guess I am supposed to assume that the discriminate will be negative and yield complex solutions, since the overdamped and critically damped cases will have at most one period.
The word is discriminant. The problem statement implies the oscillator is underdamped, so you don't really have to assume anything here.
Mindscrape said:
Then see how the quasi-frequency of the undamped oscillator relates to the time constant, and further relate it to the angular frequency of the undamped oscillator?
I'm not sure what a quasi-frequency is.

It sounds like you have the right idea. You can relate ##\beta## to ##\omega## from the information given, which then allows you to solve for ##\omega## in terms of ##\omega_0##.

Likes Delta2
It will be $$e^{-\beta n T}=\frac{1}{e}\iff \beta n T=1$$ where ##T## is the period of the underdamped system, $$T=\frac{2\pi}{\sqrt{|\beta^2-\omega_0^2|}}=\frac{2\pi}{\sqrt{(\frac{2\pi}{T_0})^2-\beta^2}}$$ so its a matter of algebraic manipulations to find the relationship between ##T## and ##T_0## (by replacing ##\beta=\frac{1}{nT}## in the second equation e.t.c.

I am getting the result of the OP only if I assume that the given data is for ##n## periods of the undamped system, that is if ##\beta n T_0=1##

Related to Frequency of damped vs. undamped oscillator

1. What is the difference between a damped and undamped oscillator?

A damped oscillator is a system that experiences a decrease in amplitude over time due to the presence of a dissipative force, such as friction or air resistance. On the other hand, an undamped oscillator is a system that maintains a constant amplitude over time due to the absence of a dissipative force.

2. How does damping affect the frequency of an oscillator?

Damping has a direct effect on the frequency of an oscillator. As the damping force increases, the oscillation frequency decreases. This is because the energy is dissipated, causing the amplitude to decrease and the oscillation to slow down.

3. What is the formula for calculating the frequency of a damped oscillator?

The formula for calculating the frequency of a damped oscillator is given by f = (1/2π) x √(k/m - (b/2m)^2), where f is the frequency, k is the spring constant, m is the mass of the object, and b is the damping coefficient.

4. Can an undamped oscillator exist in real life?

No, an undamped oscillator cannot exist in real life as there will always be some amount of damping present, even if it is very small. This is because all objects experience some form of resistance or friction, which acts as a damping force.

5. How can the frequency of a damped oscillator be increased?

The frequency of a damped oscillator can be increased by reducing the amount of damping present in the system. This can be achieved by using a more rigid material for the oscillator or by reducing the friction or air resistance acting on the system.