Undergrad math at Williams College?

In summary, the conversation discusses the quality of undergraduate math education at Williams College and the experiences of those who have attended or know people who have attended the college. It is noted that the faculty at Williams is comparable to top universities in the country and there are many good math professors. The speaker also mentions the beautiful location of the college and the opportunities for outdoor activities. However, it is mentioned that the college may be a culture shock for those used to a faster pace of life. Overall, it is agreed that Williams is a good choice for those seeking a liberal arts education and strong math classes with great teaching.
thrill3rnit3
Gold Member
I've heard a lot of people say that the undergrad math at Williams College is good, especially their faculty being comparable to the top universities in the country.

True? I would love opinions from people who actually went there or know of people who went there.

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

thrill3rnit3 said:
anyone?

thrill,

I grew up in Williamstown, have fond memories of the town and college, and back in the day they had very good professors, I am sure by now you have done a quick google search and seen that there are many good math professors. I found this http://www.ams.org/programs/students/undergrad/emp-reu" for summer study to get a feel for the place. IMHO you won't find a more beautiful place to study, mountains surround you on three sides, beautiful in the fall, good skiing, snow boarding in the winter, Tanglewood for concerts right down the road, good fishing... I could go on and on. Thanks for bringing up fond memories, I didn't attend Williams, but know of more than a few who did and with friendships and networks developed there have served them well in the "real world". Good luck... Feel free to PM me if you have more questions about the area, I know it very well.

Rhody...:cool:

Edit:

P.S. Just took a quick look at your profile, don't know how long you have lived in the LA area, but the Berkshires/Williamstown may be somewhat of a culture shock for you, unless you like a retro, slower pace, that part of the place has not changed. Something to think about.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a good program, the teaching will be great; however, the scope of classes and breadth of faculty interests is not anywhere close to what you will find at a bigger university. The issue is that those universities will also likely not have anywhere close to the caliber of teaching (unless you hunt it down in specific faculty).

I think Williams will be good if you want a liberal arts education and want strong math classes (though not an expansive selection of advanced classes) and great teaching.

I cannot provide a personal opinion on the quality of undergraduate math education at Williams College as I have not attended the institution. However, based on my knowledge of the college's reputation and faculty, it is likely that their undergraduate math program is of high quality. Williams College is consistently ranked as one of the top liberal arts colleges in the country, and their faculty are highly regarded in their respective fields. Additionally, the college has a strong emphasis on undergraduate teaching and small class sizes, which can lead to a more personalized and rigorous education in mathematics. Ultimately, I would recommend reaching out to current or former students of Williams College to get a more detailed and personal perspective on their experience with the undergraduate math program.

Related to Undergrad math at Williams College?

1. What is the curriculum like for undergrad math at Williams College?

The curriculum for undergrad math at Williams College is comprehensive and rigorous. Students are required to take a variety of courses in algebra, calculus, and analysis, as well as elective courses in topics such as discrete mathematics, geometry, and number theory.

2. Are there opportunities for research in undergrad math at Williams College?

Yes, there are many opportunities for research in undergrad math at Williams College. Students can work with faculty on research projects, participate in summer research programs, and present their work at conferences. There are also opportunities for independent research projects and senior theses.

3. What is the average class size for math courses at Williams College?

The average class size for math courses at Williams College is around 15-20 students. This allows for small, interactive classes where students can receive personalized attention from their professors.

4. What kind of career opportunities are available for math majors from Williams College?

Math majors from Williams College have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. Many go on to graduate school in mathematics, while others pursue careers in finance, data analysis, teaching, or research. The strong analytical and problem-solving skills gained from a math degree can be applied to various industries.

5. Are there any unique aspects or features of the undergrad math program at Williams College?

One unique aspect of the undergrad math program at Williams College is the opportunity for students to participate in the Williams College Math Camp, a week-long intensive math program that allows students to explore advanced topics in mathematics and prepare for graduate school. The college also hosts a number of math competitions and events, providing students with opportunities to network and showcase their skills.