Undergraduate studies in Europe? (Germany)

In summary, the speaker has experience studying in Germany, with English as their first language and A-Levels as their high school qualifications. They studied physics at the Technical University of Munich and found the program challenging but with good support. They also mention considering studying in other European countries, specifically mentioning Hungary as a good option due to the availability of courses taught in English or French. They advise doing research to find a university with the desired courses and good quality education.
Mépris
Has anyone had experience with studying there? Is English your first language? Did you have trouble in learning German? Did you learn it before or during your stay in Germany? Which university did you go to; which subject did you study; how did you find the program/course?
More importantly; what high school qualifications did you have? Do you know anything about people with A-Levels studying there?

I am interested in applying to Germany but I'm really certain where exactly. I have tried reading around the forums here and it seems the TU9 are a good place to start the search. I would like to major in Mathematics or some form of science. (physics; biochemistry)

I'd also like to know about studying in other European countries, like Hungary, for instance. Courses being taught in English or French would be ideal but I can't really nitpick; I can't expect education abroad (as a non-EU) to be cheap and in my language of choice, while being of good quality.

tl;dr: want to know about undergrad experience in Germany/Europe, in general. also, what unis I could look into and whether people who've been there had done a-levels.

Thank you for reading and for advice.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have had some experience studying in Germany. English is my first language and I did not have too much trouble learning German. I learned it before my stay in Germany as I had a few semesters of German classes in high school and continued to practice while in Germany. I went to the Technical University of Munich and studied physics. The program was very challenging, but I had a lot of support from the professors and other students. My high school qualifications were A-Levels. I believe that A-Levels are generally accepted for studying in Germany, but it will depend on the specific university and program. In terms of studying in other European countries, Hungary is a great choice! There are lots of universities in Hungary that offer courses in English and French, so you should be able to find one that fits your needs. I would recommend doing some research into the different universities there to make sure that they offer the courses you want and that they have good quality education. Good luck with your search!

What are the benefits of studying undergraduate studies in Europe, specifically in Germany?

Studying in Europe, and specifically in Germany, offers numerous benefits for undergraduate students. Firstly, Germany is known for its high-quality education, with a strong emphasis on research and practical learning. Additionally, studying in Germany can also be more affordable compared to other European countries, as most public universities do not charge tuition fees. Furthermore, studying in Germany can also provide students with the opportunity to learn a new language, experience a different culture, and gain valuable international experience, which can be beneficial for future career opportunities.

What are the admission requirements for undergraduate studies in Germany?

The admission requirements for undergraduate studies in Germany may vary depending on the university and program. However, in general, international students are required to have a high school diploma or equivalent, good grades, and a certain level of proficiency in the German language. Some universities may also require students to take an entrance exam or submit additional documents, such as letters of recommendation or a personal statement. It is important to check the specific requirements for the university and program you are interested in applying to.

How long does it take to complete an undergraduate degree in Germany?

The duration of undergraduate studies in Germany may vary depending on the program and university. On average, a bachelor's degree in Germany takes 3 to 4 years to complete. However, some programs, such as engineering or medicine, may take longer. It is important to check the specific program's duration before applying.

What are the living expenses for undergraduate students in Germany?

The cost of living in Germany may vary depending on the city and lifestyle. On average, students can expect to spend around 800-1,000 Euros per month on living expenses, including accommodation, food, transportation, and leisure activities. However, living expenses may be higher in bigger cities like Berlin or Munich. It is important to research and budget accordingly before moving to Germany for studies.

Are there any scholarship opportunities for international students pursuing undergraduate studies in Germany?

Yes, there are scholarship opportunities available for international students in Germany. These include scholarships offered by the German government, as well as scholarships offered by individual universities and organizations. It is important to research and apply for scholarships early, as they are competitive and have specific deadlines and requirements.