Physics Graduate School in UK/Germany/Europe

In summary, the system in the UK is more complicated than in Germany, and the salary/scholarship for a PhD student is usually quite a small part of the cost of a project.
abilolado
Hello all.
I had a few questions about obtaining a PhD in UK and/or Europe.
I am currently an Undergrad physics student from Brazil studying in the US, once I am done I will pursue my PhD in some other university, since my current one, unfortunally, does not have a Physics Grad program.
My dream is to be able to study in the UK or Germany (or somewhere in Europe really, but mainly UK or Germany).
However I could not find the answer as to a question. Is physics grad school free on those places?
I know that one is usually funded to study physics in grad school here in the US, and is ofted paied to do research. Making obtaining a PhD essentially free. Is it the same in the UK/Germany? I would only think that yes, given the long history those countries have with the study of physics, but I could find no sources that sould affirm it.
I am a 3.9 GPA student at SHSU - TX.
Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is some sample information on the subject :

http://www.swansea.ac.uk/postgraduate/scholarships/

http://www.swansea.ac.uk/international/students/fees-and-funding/brazil/

Note that there are lots of different pages with relevant information . You have to dig around on the site to get the complete picture .

Last edited:
I am in the US but know people who did/are doing their PhDs in the UK and Germany.
The UK system it is quite different from the US. In the US you take courses during the PhD in the first year or so, but in the UK you need to get a master's before the PhD. All of your coursework is completed in the masters before you begin your PhD. The PhD's there are also shorter and more structured. In the US you apply to a department and indicate your research interests on your application. While people usually stay in their intended subfield, they are technically not bound to it and can switch later on. In the UK you apply to a specific group and are much more restricted because of that. You usually get funding for three or four years, which is how long they usually take to do the PhD over there. On the other hand physics PhDs in the US usually take five to six years. This may sound very long, but I have heard some professors in the UK like the US system better for that reason since they feel that three years is not enough for most students to become truly independent researchers.

I think the system is similar in Germany based on the people I know who have experience there.

The answer is that PhDs are usually free; but there are exceptions. You can sometimes find unfunded positions but this does NOT -usually- mean that you will be paying a fee to the university, it just means that you won't get any money from e.g. a scholarship (or salary, depending on the system). These positions are usually targeted towards students who e.g. have managed to get a scholarship from their home country to do a PhD abroad (typically China and some countries in the ME).

Personally I would be vary of doing an unfunded PhD; at least if it is experimental. The salary/scholarship for a PhD student is usually quite a small part of the cost of a project meaning if they are not able to pay you the group is probably not very well funded. However, there are -as always- exceptions (some grants won't allow you to pay students etc)

The system in the UK is really complicated at the moment since we are moving more and more towards a "US style" grad school systems with 4-year CDTs (centres for doctoral training) where the first year is coursework, but there are still 3-year positions available. For the former you do need to have a MSc, for the latter the university can in some instances make exceptions and allow you to start with "only" a BSc, but then you would they you would have to pass some MSc level courses as well during your first year(usually).

In Germany there are either no fees or at most negligible ones. Whether you will have to take some classes depends on the university. However, you will have to participate in teaching.
Usually, you will be offered a half-time position which corresponds in the first year to about 2100 Euros /month netto. However, this depends on your supervisor, who is still the most important choice you have to make.
As an example, here's the link to the phd programme of the TU of Munich:

https://www.ph.tum.de/academics/phd/

1. What are the entry requirements for a physics graduate program in the UK/Germany/Europe?

The specific entry requirements for a physics graduate program may vary by university and country, but generally, a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field with a strong academic record is required. Some universities may also require a certain level of proficiency in English, as most courses are taught in English in these countries.

2. How long does it take to complete a physics graduate program in the UK/Germany/Europe?

The duration of a physics graduate program in the UK/Germany/Europe can vary, but typically it takes 1-2 years to complete a master's degree and 3-4 years to complete a PhD. This may also depend on the specific program and whether the student is pursuing a full-time or part-time course load.

3. What is the cost of a physics graduate program in the UK/Germany/Europe?

The cost of a physics graduate program can vary significantly depending on the university and country. In the UK, tuition fees for international students can range from £15,000-£30,000 per year for a master's degree and £20,000-£40,000 per year for a PhD. In Germany, most universities do not charge tuition fees, but students are required to pay a semester contribution of around €300-€500. In other European countries, tuition fees may also vary, but there are often scholarship opportunities available for international students.

4. What research opportunities are available in a physics graduate program in the UK/Germany/Europe?

Physics graduate programs in the UK/Germany/Europe offer a wide range of research opportunities in various fields such as astrophysics, particle physics, quantum physics, and more. Many universities have well-established research facilities and collaborations with other institutions, providing students with access to cutting-edge research and resources.

5. What are the job prospects for graduates of a physics graduate program in the UK/Germany/Europe?

Graduates of a physics graduate program in the UK/Germany/Europe have strong job prospects in both academia and industry. Many graduates go on to pursue careers as research scientists, professors, or engineers in various fields such as technology, energy, and healthcare. The skills and knowledge gained in a physics graduate program are highly valued and in-demand in many industries.