Understand Contravariant Transformations b/w Coordinate Systems

In summary, the contravariant transformation formula is used to convert a vector from one coordinate system to another. It involves using the partial derivatives of the new coordinate system's axes with respect to the original coordinate system's axes. The example provided shows how to use this formula to convert a Cartesian vector to a polar coordinates vector. The resulting vector in polar coordinates is <r,0>, which is the position vector represented by ##r \vec e_r##. It is suggested to use prime notation and variable names for easier tracking of components.
space-time
I am trying to make sure that I have a proper understanding of contravariant transformations between coordinate systems.

The contravariant transformation formula is:

Vj = (∂yj/∂xi) * Vi

where Vj is in the y- frame of reference and Vi is in the x-frame of reference. Einstein summation convention is used here.

As an example of applying this formula, I tried to convert a Cartesian vector to a polar coordinates vector to see what the output would be. Here is how that process went:

Vi = <x,y>
x1 = x
x2 = y (These were the coordinate axes in the x-frame)

y1 = r
y2 =θ (These were the axes in the y-frame)

r(x,y) = sqrt(x2 + y2)
θ(x,y)= tan-1(y/x)
(∂r/∂x) = x/sqrt(x2 + y2)
(∂r/∂y) = y/sqrt(x2 + y2)
(∂θ/∂x) = -y/(x2 + y2)
(∂θ/∂x) = x/(x2 + y2)Applying all of this information into the contravariant transformation formula, I get:

V1 (in the y-frame) = [V1(x-frame) * (∂y1/∂x1)] + [V2(x-frame) * (∂y1/∂x2)] =[ x * (∂r/∂x) ] + [y * (∂r/∂y)]

= (x2 + y2) / sqrt(x2 + y2) = r2/r = r

V2 (in the y-frame) = [V1(x-frame) * (∂y2/∂x1)] + [V2(x-frame) * (∂y2/∂x2)] =[ x * (∂θ/∂x) ] + [y * (∂θ/∂y)]

= -xy/r2 + xy/r2 = 0

In short, my contravariant transformation from Cartesian to polar coordinates turned the vector <x,y> to <r,0>.

Is this the correct result. Am I appropriately and correctly applying the contravariant transformation formula or do you use this transformation in some different way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you have just taken the position vector and it should be a familiar result that this vector is ##r \vec e_r## in polar coordinates in the plane.

A suggestion regarding notation, the more standard notation would be to use a prime to denote the components in one of the systems. It is also easier to keep track of things if you use the variable names instead of numbers to label the different components, i.e., ##V^r##, ##V^\theta##, etc.

Likes bcrowell

1. What is a contravariant transformation between coordinate systems?

A contravariant transformation is a mathematical concept that describes how coordinates of a point in one coordinate system can be expressed in terms of coordinates in another coordinate system. It involves changing the basis vectors or axes of a coordinate system while keeping the point fixed.

2. How is a contravariant transformation different from a covariant transformation?

A contravariant transformation involves changing the basis vectors or axes of a coordinate system, while a covariant transformation involves changing the components of a vector while keeping the basis vectors fixed. This means that contravariant transformations change the coordinate system itself, while covariant transformations change the way we describe points or vectors in that coordinate system.

3. Why do we need to understand contravariant transformations between coordinate systems?

Understanding contravariant transformations is crucial in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It allows us to translate between different coordinate systems and to describe the same point or vector in different ways, which is essential for solving problems and making accurate measurements.

4. What are some real-life examples of contravariant transformations?

Contravariant transformations can be seen in everyday situations, such as converting between Fahrenheit and Celsius temperature scales, or between different units of measurement for weight or distance. They are also used in more complex applications, such as converting between different reference frames in physics.

5. How do I perform a contravariant transformation between two coordinate systems?

The specific method for performing a contravariant transformation will depend on the particular coordinate systems involved. However, in general, the process involves identifying the basis vectors of each coordinate system, finding the transformation matrix that relates them, and using this matrix to convert the coordinates of a point or vector from one system to the other.