Understanding 1/f Noise in DC Voltmeters: Causes and Solutions

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dc Noise
In summary, the 1/f noise for a DC voltmeter is a problem when they measure a very low voltage. Some readings can take weeks or even months. However, a DC voltmeter would have no problem to return a stable reading of a simple resistive circuit, of the order of the volt. Physically, I do not understand what's going on and why there's a difference between the 1 nV and the 1 V case regarding the pink noise. I'd like to see equations that would tell me whether the 1/f noise would be a problem, for a DC reading.
fluidistic
Gold Member
I've been told that the 1/f noise for DC voltmeters is a problem when they measure a very low voltage (i.e. around 1 nV). Some readings can take weeks or even months. However, a DC voltmeter would have no problem to return a stable reading of a simple resistive circuit, of the order of the volt.
Physically I do not understand what's going on and why there's a difference between the 1 nV and the 1 V case regarding the pink noise. I'd like to see equations that would tell me whether the 1/f noise would be a problem, for a DC reading.

Note that DC corresponds to f = 0 Hz, so infinite noise in principle.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Could you say more about Pink noise, 1/f noise and thermal noise in the context of your measurement? What is the source impedance of the voltage that you are wanting to measure so accurately?

EDIT/ADD -- BTW, I don't have anything in my lab that can measure in the 1nV range. I do have a pA meter that we use for specialized measurements...

• Informative
Likes sophiecentaur and dlgoff
berkeman said:
BTW, I don't have anything in my lab that can measure in the 1nV range.
I just did a google search and found this really good voltmeter but if I understand the specs correctly, the best it can do is 6nV. i.e. the peak to peak dc noise. Here's the pdf for the Keithley 2182A.

berkeman said:
What is the source impedance of the voltage that you are wanting to measure so accurately?
Also, what bandwidth is involved? Do you not need to know that in order to asses the noise performance of a device?

I am sorry, I am not measuring anything in particular, I ask only to know more.
Let's forget about thermal noise by considering a material near 0 K. I did not want to involve that noise at all.
Let's say the material has a resistance of about 1 ohm and we perform a 4-points probe method on it, to read out its voltage when we use a DC of 1 A. By reversing the current (but still a DC), we should in principle be able to measure a different voltage. The difference in the voltages when the current passes in 1 direction compared to the other might be in the nV range due to some physical effects I do not want to go into here. Apparently using a DC voltmeter (the Keithley is a good example I think) is problematic due to the 1/f noise.
On the other hand, using a "high" (not too high though) frequency AC is better suited to get that small nV voltage difference, which can be done in seconds.
I have no idea about bandwidth. The bandwidth of what exactly?

Like the Poor and Taxes, Noise is always with us and the noise power is dependent on the system bandwidth. To discuss operating near 0K, every item in the circuit (before the first stage of amplification) has to be that cold.Thermal noise power is kTB where B is the measurement bandwidth. You have to add to that the Noise Figure of your amplifying stage. That's always a consideration in communications (receivers) but it applies everywhere. This link can give you some information.

1. What is 1/f noise for DC voltmeters?

1/f noise, also known as flicker noise, is a type of noise that is present in electronic devices and systems. It is characterized by a frequency spectrum that decreases as the frequency increases, following a 1/f power law.

2. What causes 1/f noise in DC voltmeters?

The exact cause of 1/f noise is still not fully understood, but it is believed to be caused by fluctuations in the number of charge carriers within the electronic components of the voltmeter. These fluctuations are random and result in a fluctuation in the output voltage, leading to the observed 1/f noise.

3. How does 1/f noise affect the accuracy of DC voltmeters?

1/f noise can significantly affect the accuracy of DC voltmeters, especially at low frequencies. The noise can mask the true signal and make it difficult to accurately measure the voltage. This is why it is important to minimize 1/f noise in electronic devices and systems.

4. Can 1/f noise be reduced or eliminated in DC voltmeters?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate 1/f noise, it can be reduced by using high-quality components and proper design techniques. Shielding and filtering can also help reduce the impact of 1/f noise on the accuracy of DC voltmeters.

5. How is 1/f noise measured in DC voltmeters?

1/f noise is typically measured using a power spectral density (PSD) analysis. This involves measuring the noise power at different frequencies and plotting it on a logarithmic scale. The slope of the resulting curve can then be used to determine the amount of 1/f noise present in the voltmeter.